U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 PM

43,365 posts, read 18,359,552 times

Advertisements

Hump day greetings, everyone! Yes, your Tipster is back.
The link for Today's Tip actually came from wit-nit, though. (Thanks, nit! )
Scroll on down and check out this timely tidbit!

TURKEY DAY POTENTIAL PLUMBING DISASTERS

To borrow a phrase from JustJoy, "Didja know......." that the day after Thanksgiving is the busiest day of the year for plumbers? As it turns out, lots of people bring plumbing disasters upon themselves on Turkey Day because they don't use common sense when it comes to putting thing in their kitchen drains.

Here are a few of the items you should put in your garbage can instead of in your kitchen drain:

Turkey Bones: big no-no. Even with a good in-sink garbage disposal, they can quickly clog a drain.

Cooking oils and fats. The worst! Many fats can solidify and completely clog the drain in no time. Even small amounts can spell disaster.

Stringy, fibrous foods such as celery and potato skins can easily cause clogs.

When you put food in the garbage disposal, make sure it's already running. Don't fill it up and then turn it on.

This article has more tips for saving other drains in your home especially around the holidays. Check it out!

PS - I'm having technical problems today with C-D and am unable to post an image. Hope to have that capability back by tomorrow!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 PM

114,830 posts, read 62,089,420 times
Welcome back Pam! All good points from Mr. Nit or is it Wit? Thanks Wit-Nit Thanks Pam and glad to see you resting your feet and giving your fingers a work out.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 AM

252,150 posts, read 86,064,122 times
Great to see you back technical problems and all. . We will be eating at a family members home with a disposal grinder so I hope the plumber gets the day off too.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 AM

42,811 posts, read 57,223,121 times
And if you should jam that disposal here's good info on saving you a plumbers fee by doing it yourself. It's not difficult.
Video: How to Fix a Jammed Garbage Disposal | eHow

Old 11-27-2013, 12:31 AM
bjh

49,355 posts, read 27,939,163 times
Good to have you back, Pam.

Timely tip from our local wit. Something about family packed into a house seem to bring out the worst in plumbing.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 AM

20,029 posts, read 7,513,680 times
Welcome back, Pam!

We have composting here as part of our refuse service. The city provides a green bin for compostibles and picks it up once a week as part of the regular garbage collection. This eliminates having to worry about putting turkey bones, celery, fat, etc. down the disposal. The rule is, if it's ever been alive, it can go into the compost bin.

I hardly use our disposal any more since we've had composting, but if I do have to put cooking fat in the disposal, I always add a lot of hot water and a few squeezes of dish detergent to the fat before pouring it down the drain.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:03 AM

20,029 posts, read 7,513,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Something about family packed into a house seem to bring out the worst in plumbing.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 AM

114,830 posts, read 62,089,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
And if you should jam that disposal here's good info on saving you a plumbers fee by doing it yourself. It's not difficult.
Video: How to Fix a Jammed Garbage Disposal | eHow
I've used a tire tool many times.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 AM

15,670 posts, read 16,215,293 times
Absolutely excellent tips there Pam, and ones that are close to my heart.

Why?

Because we are at the end of the line- the drain line. If anyone, ourselves included, mess up the drain it backs up to us.

I've had the drain busters out few times over the years, the worst being about two years ago when the block which was on someone else's property couldn't be unblocked and the health inspectors got called in.

They got hold of a company that did clear it and I charged the company that I was covered for by insurance that didn't clear it. (Hope that makes sense.)

We are very, very careful about what goes down the drain.

Oils, fats and so on, as you rightly say are a real no no! Adding hot water just means the clogging occurs a little bit further down the line.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 AM

4,669 posts, read 7,467,694 times
I have used my brooms stick to turn it around......it has done its job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics