Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate. And Chag Chanukah Sameach to all those who are lighting the menorah this week.

Today's Question:
Thursday is the anniversary of Shakespeare's marriage to Anne Hathaway so that's excuse enough to ask:
What did you think of the Shakespearean works you studied (or were supposed to study ) in school or college?
I loved it! If we're ever on a trivia team together and we get a Shakespeare question, I'm your girl!

Bonus Question:
This year are you hosting or being a guest somewhere for any of the holidays?

We are hosting both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out?
I always make Brussels sprouts. My mom and I ate them every year at the holidays, and since my mom's been gone, I make them still. And I'm the only one who eats them. More for me!

Just for fun - fill in the blank:
I sometimes wonder how ______life_______ works.

Today in History:
1582 William Shakespeare and Anne Hathaway married in Stratford upon Avon, England. The couple had a bond from the local church authorities letting them marry immediately, avoiding the normal banns, a procedure that took months. The bond cost forty pounds, twice the yearly salary for the Stratford schoolmaster. The cost was put up by two local farmers who were friends of the bride's late father. The groom was eighteen years old, the bride was twenty-six, and their first child, Susanna, was baptized six months later. An early birth.
--
1863 Thanksgiving 1st officially recognized by the US government as a national holiday
1869 1st chewing gum patent to W. F. Semple of Mt vernon, Ohio
1930 After a sandstorm in Morocco, mud rained down in Paris and yellow sand fell in Spain
1948 Polaroid Land Camera, 1st self-developing photo camera went on sale in Boston

Today’s Word:
toothsome [tooth-suhm] - adjective
"pleasant to the taste," from 1560s; the figurative sense of "attractive" (1550s) is a bit older
example, a toothsome meal

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day
French Toast Day
Independence Day
--Albania from Turkey in 1912,
--Mauritania from France in 1960,
--Panama from Spain in 1821.

Today's Picture:
Gibson factory showroom guitars, taken a coupla years ago for a photo contest, subject: blur.
Never posted to the Q, so new to some. Hope you likey.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 984$sx1021$s and weights 282$sKB.

Happy day to all and remember to ----->

Hubby is making orange ginger pork chops for himself and his brothers, while I will be enjoying a fungi-based (Quorn brand) "chicken" patty. No turkeys here!

Nice photo bjh! Thanx for the Qs.
Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:11 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Today's Question:
Thursday is the anniversary of Shakespeare's marriage to Anne Hathaway so that's excuse enough to ask:
What did you think of the Shakespearean works you studied (or were supposed to study ) in school or college?

Not even close to liking it.

Bonus Question:

After a debacle of debate, my Dad and I are going to my brother's house

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out?

NO

I sometimes wonder how ____other people's minds______________ work.

Have a happy day everyone!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Today's Question:

What did you think of the Shakespearean works you studied (or were supposed to study ) in school or college? I struggled with the language. I've seen several performances as an adult -- Tempest, Taming of the Shrew, Twelfth Night, Merchant of Venice -- and love them.

This year are you hosting or being a guest somewhere for any of the holidays? Hosting; I'm doing the salad, turkey and stuffing, green bean casserole and pavlova dessert and my friends are bringing appetizers, both a potato and a sweet potato dish, a lemon dessert and a pecan pie. We will be stuffed!

If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out? My kids love my baked macaroni and cheese, pavlova, roast lamb and veggies. They stand out because they taste great!

I sometimes wonder how television works.

Thanks bjh (love the photo!) and happy Thanksgiving to all!

Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 AM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Today's Question:
Didn't care for it then, and care less for it now.

Bonus Question:
We will be guests at #1 sons house.

Foodie Questions:
The Super Chiefs blueberry cheese cake is always requested during the holidays.

I sometimes wonder how stuff works.

HowStuffWorks "Learn How Everything Works!"

Old 11-28-2013, 09:36 AM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I sometimes wonder how __________________ works.
the male brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

I sometimes wonder how The mind of a woman works. - Yeah I know, I'll wait for most ladies to start sending me nasty messages..
Mike - Be careful what you wish for!

Didn't you both know that men are from Mars and women are from Venus?

A website that may be of interest: http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes...are-from-venus

Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
[quote=bjh;32406235]My apologies for the extra early posting. Due to the holiday we're leaving now to be guests overnight down the road a bit.
Just in case their Internet connection won't cooperate, here we go . . .

--
Happy Thanksgiving Day in the USA! (and anywhere else where people want to celebrate )

Today's Question:
I don't remember anything about Shakespeare in college or high school, but The Merchant of Venice under the stars on a warm summer night with some good wine was heaven.

Bonus Question:

It's just John and a friend from work. She's a bit of a curmudgeon and I was surprised when she showed up for Halloween. I think this will be the third times she's come for a holiday. It was just her and I one Christmas day. John was at work and I had to work later that day. She and John are retired and I'm off today.

Foodie Questions:
If there are any dishes or foods that are special to your family at any time of the year, what are they and what makes them stand out?.....Just the usual stuff but my turkey is really good. I found the recipe flipping through channels one day. I marinade it all night in apple cider but only for a couple of hours breast side down. Take a peeled onion and stick cloves all over it. Put it in the turkey. Cut up an orange and put it in the turkey. Do an olive oil rub with what ever spices you like and brown the turkey for an hour. Cover with foil and roast it until it's finished. It makes the best gravy.

I sometimes wonder how ____City Data______________ works. Where is rainroosty????

Today in History:
1582 William Shakespeare and Anne Hathaway married in Stratford upon Avon, England. The couple had a bond from the local church authorities letting them marry immediately, avoiding the normal banns, a procedure that took months. The bond cost forty pounds, twice the yearly salary for the Stratford schoolmaster. The cost was put up by two local farmers who were friends of the bride's late father. The groom was eighteen years old, the bride was twenty-six, and their first child, Susanna, was baptized six months later. An early birth.
--
1863 Thanksgiving 1st officially recognized by the US government as a national holiday
1869 1st chewing gum patent to W. F. Semple of Mt vernon, Ohio
1930 After a sandstorm in Morocco, mud rained down in Paris and yellow sand fell in Spain
1948 Polaroid Land Camera, 1st self-developing photo camera went on sale in Boston

Today’s Word:
toothsome [tooth-suhm] - adjective
"pleasant to the taste," from 1560s; the figurative sense of "attractive" (1550s) is a bit older
example, a toothsome meal

Today Is:
Thanksgiving Day
French Toast Day
Independence Day
--Albania from Turkey in 1912,
--Mauritania from France in 1960,
--Panama from Spain in 1821.

Today's Picture:
Gibson factory showroom guitars, taken a coupla years ago for a photo contest, subject: blur.
Never posted to the Q, so new to some. Hope you likey.

Very artistic. Me likey.

Happy day to all and remember to ----->

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm going to eat like piggy and take the boys walkies with their matching snow suits on.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Almost forgot to answer.

Today's Question:

It was mostly over my head in high school. The language is so complicated and the references so obscure, especially after a few hundred years. You really have to want to read it to read it, if you know what I mean.

Bonus Question:
Guests for Thanksgiving. Hosting on Christmas.

Foodie Questions:
Apple salad for holidays, and a beef casserole and a chicken and rice casserole, either for any day.
Probably because they're family recipes worked out in the kitchen, not from a book.

I sometimes wonder how nature works.

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics