Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 PM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times

Advertisements

For my "other forum friends" -another silly question for you! Sometimes someone asks you for advice. Or for help of one kind or another.

Tell me, would you go out on a limb for them?
Spoiler

Too risky? ;}

Okay, maybe you need more information!! (maybe not!)
Check and see...
Spoiler

Orginal photo! I wouldn't go out on the "real" limb either!!

Have you gone out on a limb for someone?

I did the other day. I was walking into the library and I met a man, age 65 (?). Told me he was homeless. I asked if he knew about the shelter with Salvation Army. He did not. I found directions to it, about a mile away. He asked for a ride. I visited with him for a bit and felt safe enough to do so. I was glad I could. But I wished I could do more. I wish there weren't so many people hurting, lacking basic needs! That makes me sad.

Have you gone out on a limb for a friend or acquaintance? What was the result? (How'd it go?)
Attached Thumbnails
Would you go out on a limb?-aaaaa-tree-limb.jpg   Would you go out on a limb?-aaaa-tree-limb.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 05:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I’ve always felt that it was important to go out on a limb if needed for others. If I don’t, who will? It’s up to each of us to help one another and seems there are far too many that ignore someone in need. Life is busy this time of year for most people and money is short, but isn’t a simple act of kindness in many cases just what we are supposed to do?

I’ve never regretted helping someone out over all these years.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 AM

126,272 posts, read 19,041,682 times
Without thinking twice I would always and I have done many times gone out on a limb for someone One does not stand around and wait for someone else to do it or think if someone else will do something about that certain situation. Compassion starts not only within your family also as soon as you leave the house and close the door behind you!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM

AksarbeN and Almrausch, I agree with you both. In the last year, I've had so many people help me. I am ever so grateful for the assistance and otherwise wouldn't have had what I needed.

Thanks for listening. I have missed CD and am glad I'm back. :-))

Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,362 times
^^^^ Glad you are back too Wild Flower!!!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
I've been the recipient of random acts of kindness throughout my life. How could I not do the same for others. And, yes, I could have been in danger more than once but there are times when we have to combine our brain and heart. I try to use my heart to tell my brain that it is going to be okay and it always has been. Knock on wood. Having said that I have to admit that with age and changing times has come caution. If red flags go up I take no action.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've been the recipient of random acts of kindness throughout my life. How could I not do the same for others. And, yes, I could have been in danger more than once but there are times when we have to combine our brain and heart. I try to use my heart to tell my brain that it is going to be okay and it always has been. Knock on wood. Having said that I have to admit that with age and changing times has come caution. If red flags go up I take no action.
I hear you about being cautious. A couple of weeks ago I took a walk (1 1/2 miles) to the grocery store. Coming home, it started raining and I stopped to rest. Two people stopped and asked if I wanted a ride. I was still half way home, but told them I was fine. There wasn't any real flags but as long as I knew I could get home, I thought best to keep walking.

As I was walking up my hill, I was pacing myself (I was tired!) and I was half way up the hill when a truck stopped. Thinking it was a neighbor who has a similiar truck, I asked if I knew them. The passenger said, yes, you know me! She is the daughter of a neighbor that had recently moved out.

I was so surprised to have the ride! It wasn't far to go, but my legs thanked me! I almost sprinted up my stairs when I reached my apt. Getting a bit of help really lift my spirits!

Plus, it showed that sometimes you just have to wait and be patient. And keep moving!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:44 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
You weren't afraid of gators or snakes under that limb were you?

Old 11-27-2013, 06:43 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Tell me, would you go out on a limb for them?
Only if I felt certain that the limb would not be cut off behind me!

Helping and giving are certainly admirable traits to have, but not to the point that it ever puts your own self in jeopardy.

This thread reminded me of a previous good one in the Food-Drink Forum:
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...y-forward.html

Old 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You weren't afraid of gators or snakes under that limb were you?
Heh heh funny! We have no gators here in TN! And I am sure the snakes are all friendly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Only if I felt certain that the limb would not be cut off behind me!

Helping and giving are certainly admirable traits to have, but not to the point that it ever puts your own self in jeopardy.

This thread reminded me of a previous good one in the Food-Drink Forum:
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...y-forward.html
Thank you BstYet2Be for recommending this thread. I posted to it just now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics