U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:26 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,613,405 times

Advertisements

I am so sick of reading these hoax emails. I just got another one about Strawberry Meth getting handed out to kids. I would hate to think that most of my *girl - *friends are nit-wits but come on !!

*disclaimer: none are on CD.

Before they send or shall I say FWD this crap, does anyone other than myself, investigate this stuff? There is a very good website called SNOPES. It's so easy to look up the "line" and see if it's true or false.

and don't get me started on chain emails.....Arrgghhhhhhhh !!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:35 AM

7,354 posts, read 17,893,015 times
I automatically delete them.
I've told people not to send me junky stuff but they still do.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM

31,304 posts, read 29,551,947 times
How do you best motivate another person to “stop” sending those junk emails?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM

20,570 posts, read 21,358,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How do you best motivate another person to “stop” sending those junk emails?
Especially a friend or family member.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM

8,191 posts, read 29,212,070 times
I always check that stuff out on snopes. If it is bogus I let the sender know. I have one friend that I sent a bunch of stuff back to with the link to the article on Snopes. It took her about 3 dozen times, but she finally started checking them out for herself. Now, she sends them with the link to Snopes proving that they are real.

Now, if I could just get people to accept that nothing cool is going to happen at 11:00 tomorrow morning......

Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,375,351 times
Thumbs down Don't like the hoax emails!

Remember when the fax machine first became popular in the office & then came all the jokes being faxed all over!! Email is worse 'cuz it's so much easier to click FWD to your FAV Group.

When I first started getting hoax emails, I did some research...like you said NewHomeHappy using various websites as a guide. I would copy the info I found & paste it & return the email to my friends...with a little note saying something nice - "just didn't want you to be concerned about the little girl on her death bed trying to be reunited with her long-lost grandma...it's not true, she doesn't exist & there are real people out there in need...so here's the website to Make a Wish Foundation if you want to help out."

Well, I haven't received junk emails from friends in a long time ...well I kinda alienated my friends & they don't talk to me anymore! Seriously, my friends & I exchanged fun questionnaire emails, but we stipulate that you may or may not have good luck within the next 3 days & you could possibly win the lottery, but the odds of winning will not be in direct correlation to showing me your love!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 PM

15,598 posts, read 36,429,739 times
I have a cousin that insisted on sending me chain mails and other stupid stuff. After about the tenth time of asking her to stop..I finally marked her e-mails as spam. Wala. No more problem. I get a nigerian scam letter about every other day. These and others I just forward to spam@uce.gov with a short message: Seek and destroy please. Just had one this morning from a so called reverend. Telling me FedEx needed my info to deliver a box containing 800 grand in cash. I cannot believe those people actually thing that crap still works. I'm beginning to think Nigerians are really brain dead.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:41 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,375,351 times
Talking Forward this to 5 friends w/n 5 days & you'll get lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
... Now, she sends them with the link to Snopes proving that they are real.

Now, if I could just get people to accept that nothing cool is going to happen at 11:00 tomorrow morning......
LOL, Evey: Your post came up while I was in the middle of mine (my 2yo takes priority, so sometimes it takes me a 1/2 hour to hit "submit reply"). Anyway, with some friends you just can't win, huh?! My SIL, finally realized & stated out loud...luck has nothing to do with it & I need to get over it already & stop forwarding these emails like a silly child!! I almost fell off my chair.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,613,405 times
Talking No friends

Yes Buggaboo- that happened to me too. I've been alienated.

I don't get too many emails from my friends either.

I was just trying to educate them. All I did was reply to their crap email with the link to Snopes and a little note saying "Hey Stoopid, why the heck don't you research this crap before hitting the send button. Are you too damn lazy or just plain stoopid"

I really cannot understand why they don't talk to me anymore.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,622,383 times
My name is Billy Evans. I am a very sick little boy.
My mother is typing this for me, because I can't. She is crying. The reason she is so sad is because I'm so sick. I was born without a body. It doesn't hurt, except when I try to breathe.

The doctors gave me an artificial body. It is a burlap bag filled with leaves. The doctors said that was the best they could do on account of us having no money or insurance.

I would like to have a body transplant, but we need more money. Mommy doesn't work because she said nobody hires crying people. I said, " Don't cry, Mommy and " and she hugged my burlap bag. Mommy always gives me hugs, Even though she's allergic to burlap and it makes her sneeze and chafes her real bad.

I hope you will help me. You can help me if you forward this email to everyone you know. Forward it to people you don't know, too. Dr. Johansen said that for every person you forward this email to, Bill Gates Will team up with AOL and send a nickel to NASA. With that funding, NASA will collect prayers from school children all over America and have the astronauts take them up into space so that the angels can hear them better.

Then they will come back to earth and go to the Pope, and he will take up a collection in church and send all the money to the doctors. The doctors could help me get better then. Maybe one day I will be able to play baseball. Right now I can only be third base.

Every time you forward this letter, the astronauts can take more prayers to the angels and my dream will be closer to coming true. Please help me. Mommy is so sad and I want a body. I don't want my leaves to rot before I turn 10.

If you don't forward this email, that's okay. Mommy says you're a mean and heartless bastard who doesn't care about a poor little boy with only a head. She says that if you don't stew in the raw pit of your own guilt-ridden stomach, she hopes you die a long slow, horrible death and then burn forever in hell.

What kind of cruel person are you that you can't take five freaking' minutes to forward this to all your friends so that they can feel guilt and shame about ignoring a poor, bodiless nine-year-old boy? Please help me.

I try to be happy, but it's hard. I wish I had a kitty. I wish I could hold a kitty. I wish I could hold a kitty that wouldn't chew on me and try to bury its turds in the leaves of my burlap body. I wish that very much.

Thank You,
Billy " Smiles " Evans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or