U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 06:52 PM

11,432 posts, read 17,969,448 times

Advertisements

I only go see my family doctor about 3-4 times a year and am always on time just like today. In the busy flu season, it has been very difficult to make an appointment on the phone because of excessive hold times. I tried several days and finally decided to show up in person to schedule an appointment. They gave me an apt for 2 days later (today). I showed up 10 minutes before appt time. First, I was told that doctor was 30 minutes, then 1 hour behind. When one of my customers called me, I took the cell phone conversation outside since I did not want the whole waiting room to hear my conversation. When I came back to the waiting room, I was told that they had called me to come to the back office. Receptionist told me to wait for the back office manager. When back office manager appeared, she told me that the DOCTOR had cancelled my appointment and if I wanted to reschedule another time. I explained that I was only out of the room for 5-7 minutes and that I had been waiting well over an hour. Without any apology or empathy, she asked me if I wanted to reschedule. I told her that I was sick, needed to be seen , but would not be coming back there. I am disappointed because I have been a patient there for 7 years and thought that the doctor was a better person than that. I feel that it's wrong to turn a sick person away. Would it really have been an inconvenience for them to make room for me? Anyone had any similar experiences?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 PM

6,731 posts, read 10,894,925 times
Oh my yes. I have had snooty uppity doctors who could not care less if you are sick but if you are not there when they call your name, you are in for it. I have also had receptionists on the phone that have been so rude that I told them off and then got a letter in the mail about my "behavior", so I don't see that doc anymore. If you are in an area where docs are hard to find, then go back but if not, find another. The busiest doctors simply don't care anymore if you are their patient or not cause they have plenty of others.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 AM
bjh

47,107 posts, read 27,412,807 times
It's supply and demand influenced by so many who became doctors strictly for money and prestige with little interest in people or the sciences. If you think it's bad now, it will likely get worse in the near future. It's bad enough when customer service stinks, and it simply inconveniences us. But when it affects people's health and even whether they live or die, then it's a new brand of evil.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 AM

19,571 posts, read 7,232,993 times
May I make a constructive suggestion, wehotex? It might have been a good idea, if you were going to leave the waiting room, to let the office staff know where you were going. Then they could have notified you when the doctor was ready, and this whole fiasco could have been avoided. You can't blame them for thinking you had gotten tired of waiting and had walked out.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 AM

13,526 posts, read 17,952,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am disappointed because I have been a patient there for 7 years and thought that the doctor was a better person than that. I feel that it's wrong to turn a sick person away. Would it really have been an inconvenience for them to make room for me? Anyone had any similar experiences?
I'd be more than just disappointed...PISSED right off more like...there is no excuse for their uncaring, don't give a damn attitude..sorry you had to go through that
I'd blame the receptionist...did you tell her you'd be stepping outside for a few mins?
After waiting all that time they absolutely should have made time for you..... but then you've just found out how important you really are to them.....not......sorry

Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'd be more than just disappointed...PISSED right off more like...there is no excuse for their uncaring, don't give a damn attitude..sorry you had to go through that
I'd blame the receptionist...did you tell her you'd be stepping outside for a few mins?
After waiting all that time they absolutely should have made time for you..... but then you've just found out how important you really are to them.....not......sorry
I didn't tell them because I wasn't outside for that long. He already sees three pts at a time in each back room. I couldn't understand why they just wouldn't add me in. I'm writing a personal letter to the doc to express my disappointment at his attitude and lack of compassion. I'll be looking for another doctor as well. I may even file a complaint with the medical board just to waste his time.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,916,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I only go see my family doctor about 3-4 times a year and am always on time just like today. In the busy flu season, it has been very difficult to make an appointment on the phone because of excessive hold times. I tried several days and finally decided to show up in person to schedule an appointment. They gave me an apt for 2 days later (today). I showed up 10 minutes before appt time. First, I was told that doctor was 30 minutes, then 1 hour behind. When one of my customers called me, I took the cell phone conversation outside since I did not want the whole waiting room to hear my conversation. When I came back to the waiting room, I was told that they had called me to come to the back office. Receptionist told me to wait for the back office manager. When back office manager appeared, she told me that the DOCTOR had cancelled my appointment and if I wanted to reschedule another time. I explained that I was only out of the room for 5-7 minutes and that I had been waiting well over an hour. Without any apology or empathy, she asked me if I wanted to reschedule. I told her that I was sick, needed to be seen , but would not be coming back there. I am disappointed because I have been a patient there for 7 years and thought that the doctor was a better person than that. I feel that it's wrong to turn a sick person away. Would it really have been an inconvenience for them to make room for me? Anyone had any similar experiences?
Let's look at this the way I see it (and I have NO connections to the medical profession).

As you said, it is the busy flu season. I don't know about in your area, but we have had at least 7 people die from the flu in the last week within a 50 mile radius. Emergencies do come up in the doctor's office and some visits end up taking longer than anticipated. Thus the doctor get's behind.

When you got there, you were informed that the doctor was running 30 minutes behind, and then you were updated when the time he was behind increased to an hour. It seems that the office staff was making an effort to keep the patients informed.

Now, about an hour after your scheduled appointment you get a cell phone call. I have no idea what type of business you are in or what would happen if you didn't jump when a customer called, but you had been told the doctor was running about an hour behind, so it must have crossed your mind at some point that it must be getting close to your turn to see the doctor. Yet, when your phone rang, you left the office without keeping the staff (the ones who had informed you of the additional delay) informed that you needed to step out and take that call, but that you would be right back in.

While you are on the phone, they call you back, and when you are no longer there, the obvious reason is that you could no longer wait and just left. Obvious option - move on to the next patient. Waiting to see if you returned would have, in effect, pushed the doctor farther behind schedule.

Now I agree that it would have been considerate if the staff could have worked you in, but you were not available when your appointment came up (remember, they were keeping you posted on delay times). I have no idea if that is their normal policy, or inferring your possible reaction based on some subsequent statements in later posts in this thread, that perhaps you weren't as calm and accommodating as you could have been and they did not feel the need to deal with you (if that was the case) with an office full of also sick patients.

I can see two possible ways this whole situation could have been avoided, but unfortunately you will have needed to bear some of the responsibility.

One, you could have informed the staff that you needed to step outside to take a phone call and if you were called in during that time, they should take the next person and come back to you after you got back in.

OR:

Two, you could have left the d*** phone in the car, left voicemail pick up any calls, and called your customer back when you finished in the doctor's office.

I don't see how it will help an obviously overloaded doctor if you follow through with this statement you made:

Quote:
I may even file a complaint with the medical board just to waste his time.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Let's look at this the way I see it (and I have NO connections to the medical profession).

As you said, it is the busy flu season. I don't know about in your area, but we have had at least 7 people die from the flu in the last week within a 50 mile radius. Emergencies do come up in the doctor's office and some visits end up taking longer than anticipated. Thus the doctor get's behind.

When you got there, you were informed that the doctor was running 30 minutes behind, and then you were updated when the time he was behind increased to an hour. It seems that the office staff was making an effort to keep the patients informed.

Now, about an hour after your scheduled appointment you get a cell phone call. I have no idea what type of business you are in or what would happen if you didn't jump when a customer called, but you had been told the doctor was running about an hour behind, so it must have crossed your mind at some point that it must be getting close to your turn to see the doctor. Yet, when your phone rang, you left the office without keeping the staff (the ones who had informed you of the additional delay) informed that you needed to step out and take that call, but that you would be right back in.

While you are on the phone, they call you back, and when you are no longer there, the obvious reason is that you could no longer wait and just left. Obvious option - move on to the next patient. Waiting to see if you returned would have, in effect, pushed the doctor farther behind schedule.

Now I agree that it would have been considerate if the staff could have worked you in, but you were not available when your appointment came up (remember, they were keeping you posted on delay times). I have no idea if that is their normal policy, or inferring your possible reaction based on some subsequent statements in later posts in this thread, that perhaps you weren't as calm and accommodating as you could have been and they did not feel the need to deal with you (if that was the case) with an office full of also sick patients.

I can see two possible ways this whole situation could have been avoided, but unfortunately you will have needed to bear some of the responsibility.

One, you could have informed the staff that you needed to step outside to take a phone call and if you were called in during that time, they should take the next person and come back to you after you got back in.

OR:

Two, you could have left the d*** phone in the car, left voicemail pick up any calls, and called your customer back when you finished in the doctor's office.

I don't see how it will help an obviously overloaded doctor if you follow through with this statement you made:
This doctor sent me a letter indicating that he would no longer be my doctor. I just want to say that I will never look at another doctor the same way again. Whereas I used to think that most of them were caring, I can no longer just assume that. A very sweet thing happened to me today. My experience has spurred my dear sweet sister to also look for another doctor. It turns out that she didn't really think much of him and that this was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back". Little sisters are the best!!

I also just completed a 2-page handwritten letter which expresses my utter disappointment with him and his staff.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 AM

23,775 posts, read 13,550,882 times
I agree with rrtechno.

It may have been 'only 5 or 7 minutes' but do you really think the dr, already running late, should have held up everyone else for your phone call?

You set the priorities: the phone call was more important to you than the dr's appointment. And, as mentioned, they had no way to know you hadn't just left.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:49 AM

10,544 posts, read 7,990,110 times
Quote:
When back office manager appeared, she told me that the DOCTOR had cancelled my appointment and if I wanted to reschedule another time.
Quote:
told her that I was sick, needed to be seen
The lack of compassion from this doctor and the office is appalling. You are better off with finding someone else.

I've been seeing my doctor for 4 years and I can't recall that she has ever kept me waiting in the office area for more than 10 minutes. I've also been going to the same medical office (now chain) for over 20 years and never had an experience like you have.

Quote:
This doctor sent me a letter indicating that he would no longer be my doctor.
He did you a favor. Good ridddance to him should be your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics