Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:59 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,819,082 times

Advertisements

Red pots and bell ringers so what do you do at this time of year? I remember as a kid they were everywhere in the city, but now a days it seems like they hit some of the major store areas only. Cold snowy days and nights they would be on the streets ringing the bells.

Myself I don’t hesitate to drop in a few dollars when I walk by. I can’t help be feel that it may help someone else who needs it more then I do. However I do see many people for one reason or another walk on by.

To me this is just as much a part of Christmas time that I remember and I enjoy seeing them out there ringing the bell and helping those who are in need. The Salvation Army is one of the few associations or organizations that do the work of helping those in need all year long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,584,172 times
I have noticed a decrease in them over the years too. Probably something to do with it not being politically correct or some garbage

Anyway, I don't usually give to that particular charity too much. I do donate alot of household stuff and clothing to the salvation army or purple heart a few times a year.

After Christmas I make my kids go through all the gifts they get, I let them keep about half of the stuff, I know it sounds harsh, but between Santa, my extended family and my in-laws, the get way too much stuff ~ so they pick what they want to keep the most and the rest of the gifts get packed up, along with some personal purchases I make at Toys R Us and I mail them to St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis. This is my favorite charity.

I donate most of my money to Catholic Relief Services on a monthly basis. The money supposedly goes to local food shelters, the poor, emergency relief, disaster, etc... I sure hope it does.

I'm a sucker for charities, anytime someone is collecting for one I always give. I just joined/volunteered at St. Vincent De Pauls. They haven't given me an assignment or called me up yet. Anyone done charity work for them?? What was it?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
To me this is just as much a part of Christmas time that I remember and I enjoy seeing them out there ringing the bell and helping those who are in need. The Salvation Army is one of the few associations or organizations that do the work of helping those in need all year long.
AND, I have never seen the head of any Salvation Army branch that drove a new car........they arent siphoning off the money.....

Old 11-30-2007, 03:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,021,989 times
I have no proof that the money I drop in the pot ends up where it was meant to go.

NO! I will never donate that way.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
The question for me would be...do you have any money to drop in the pot? LOL

Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,283,191 times
I don't have a problem dropping a couple bucks either.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,354,832 times
We've had a number of incidents of people robbing the buckets. Even more common are people out there ringing a bell and holding a bucket in a santa suit... that have no connection whatsoever to the Salvation Army. One of them the police was called on just the other night that was standing outside of the Giant by my house... yikes. Where's YOUR money going? hehe... So here lately, no... I walk on by. I am a charitable person, a dollar from me doesn't break my bank...a dollar from everyone in the world wouldn't break the bank.. but think how much that adds up to?

I don't have a lot of money, so instead of giving it away blindly, I generally stick to making drive-bys at the dunkin donuts and passing out hot cocoa to the regular homeless guys on the streets when it starts to get cold.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 AM

221 posts, read 599,451 times
Default Christmas Charity

I too drop a few bucks in the Salvation Army pots. The thought is greater to me that this money WILL be put to good use than the thought that it will not be. The Salvation Army is a wonderful charity and I've also donated my time on occasions to help out when certain circumstances arise and they are needing extra hands. Even though my family does celebrate Christmas in the customary way in terms of exchanging gifts, I also like to go to the grocery store and buy staple items and maybe a couple of nice turkeys, bag it all up and drive to the local senior citizens apartment complex and just randomly go to the doors of a couple of them and give them the packages. My little random act of kindness. I get a lot of pleasure out of seeing their faces and feeling their gratitude. Many of them cannot get to the grocery store unless they rely on someone else to take them. Many of them are too feeble to stand in line at the grocery store anyway. I also help out with Meals on Wheels, so I know who the most needy ones are. To me...sharing what I've been blessed with is the greatest gift I can give AND receive.

Last edited by kittytoes2006; 11-30-2007 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM

24,373 posts, read 25,884,527 times
I always try to drop a buck or two.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 PM

641 posts, read 2,367,171 times
I thought it was an ashtray?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics