U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM

265 posts, read 381,103 times

Advertisements

person 1
steals 100$ or more of food from a big chain grocery store on a weekly basis
not married and has no gf, but regularly pays for prostitutes
volunteers every week at a homeless shelter, with old people, and at a women's shelter
works as a social work and cares deeply/ is fantastic at her job
beloved by family and her community

person 2
risk his life to save people who are being attacked or victims of the elements
great father and husband
volunteer fire fighter
military vet with the most honorable decorations ever
decided and carried out being a vigilante for 5 years beating up who he deemed were criminals irregardless of if he saw a crime take place. *never killed anyone doing the vigilante gig, but sent many people to the hospital.

person 3
someone who basically spent their live in service of others (think mother teressa), but at one point later down the line murder 2 people on different occasions in cold blood.

person 4
the person is average in every way possible but regularly pirates songs, movies, tv shows, video games, etc off the internet for their sole use at home. they pirate the stuff even in the instance were they'd have the money to buy it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM

12,356 posts, read 14,731,581 times
Ok, I don't get this. A criminal is a criminal. And once you cross that line, yeah you're a "bad" person.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 AM

265 posts, read 381,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ok, I don't get this. A criminal is a criminal. And once you cross that line, yeah you're a "bad" person.
a liar is a liar. once you cross that line, yeah you're a"bad" person. majority of people lie so the majority of the world are bad people.

...it couldn't be that 'bad' is a wee bit relative like morality. no use debating that.......

Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM

12,356 posts, read 14,731,581 times
Committing a crime and not telling the truth are two completely different things. And I still don't get the point of the OP's post.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,891,167 times
Would I trust any of these people? Nope. does that make them "bad"? #3 is probably the only one that I would justify his behavior, because I don't know why he did what he did.

In my viewpoint, #4 is just plain trash with nothing good going on for him.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 PM

n/a posts
everyone does things that others would consider bad.

people aren't all good or all bad. at least i'm not.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM

832 posts, read 1,302,979 times
1. They're more preoccupied with what people think of them versus what is the true. They only do the "right thing" so people can see them do the "right thing" and not because it's the right thing to do. Their "good deeds" are only a means to justify an end. That end being "They'd never suspect me." A charismatic sociopath is the scariest type of person in the world.

2. I'm not sure what set him off, but he seems like a typical hollywood antihero. Is he bad? I don't know. Based on what you state, he seems to be a narcissist too. Judge, jury and executioner. Hero complex gone too far. Is he the one creating the situations that he needs to rescue others from? Is he a mind reader? How does he know who is bad? And how does he determine when he himself becomes the bad one? Does he ever?

3. It depends on the murder. You've provided no information on them. Are the victims the perps of the victims she deals with? Righteous anger? A temper tantrum? Did all that "goodness" make them snap? I would want to know more about the murders because psychologically healthy people generally don't just wake up and decide to kill someone.

4. Not a murderer. But still a thief. It's not the whole "I'm sharing and you can't stop me" mentality that was Napster that concerns me. It's the continuing to do so despite the well documented damage this causes to the artists who are not affiliated with the big firms. Not a "bad" person, but what else are they stealing? I could never trust them without fully vetting out their motivation for stealing art. Being a thief is a character defect for which there is no cure but self introspection. A thief never steals just one thing. They steal tons of things but justify it in their own mind that it's not really stealing or that they're owed or they've earned what they've stolen. Very rarely is someone a thief for the rush of getting away with it or true need of what they steal.

All but the first one are issues that I'd vet out with a person before making a final determination. The first one, you've provided enough information for me to decide they are not someone I want in my company or the company of anyone I care about.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,636,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
person 1
volunteers every week at a homeless shelter, with old people, and at a women's shelter

person 2
great father and husband
volunteer fire fighter
decided and carried out being a vigilante for 5 years beating up who he deemed were criminals irregardless of if he saw a crime take place. *never killed anyone doing the vigilante gig, but sent many people to the hospital.

person 3
someone who basically spent their live in service of others (think mother teressa), but at one point later down the line murder 2 people on different occasions in cold blood.

person 4
the person is average in every way possible but regularly pirates songs, movies, tv shows, video games, etc off the internet for their sole use at home. they pirate the stuff even in the instance were they'd have the money to buy it.
interesting answers above...mrskay662000
person 1) a bit scary, knowing what you do and knowing that she works with the elderly and homeless...especially knowing how very vulnerable they can be....
If she truly DOES care for these people and they all love her, then her other more personal problems (shoplifting) I could overlook.....
person 2) Baaaaaadd!!, you can't be hurting people just cause you don't like the looks of them...
person 3)Baaaaad, no excuses to murder in cold blood.
person 4) Sounds like everyone else...I got no problem with someone does that.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 PM

5,508 posts, read 4,866,141 times
There are no "good" people versus "bad" people. There is only behavior (how they act). Actions can be termed good or bad, according to society's norms and your personal understanding of ethical and moral behavior.

Many behaviors that are very bad for society are actually encouraged by government, as seen in the explosion of single motherhood (triple what it was 50 years ago), under a welfare system that makes it more lucrative (and with much more leisure time) than work. And many behaviors that are good for society are penalized by government, as seen in a very regressive income tax structure that ONLY hits the Working Class, leaving the truly wealthy to accumulate wealth unencumbered.

And the Legal System adds another twist: many behaviors, though considered "bad" by virtually everyone, are not illegal. Try to get your money back from a scam artist pretending to be a legitimate businessman, for instance. Or wonder why the entire world economy was decimated by certain sociopaths in the Financials Sector in 2008, while not a single CHARGE was brought (let alone a prosecution waged).

And on the flip side, the law designates many behaviors as "criminal," when the behavior itself is not inherently bad (but it conflicts with the State's need for ever-increasing control and self-perpetuation). Like "the King's deer" in Robin Hood times, in America you can't shoot a deer for food, without paying for your license (government permission), and adhering to laws that restrict virtually every possible variable imaginable (certain dates, time of day, explicit geographic boundaries that may not even be knowable, male vs female, size, etc.). In some locations, you are a criminal if you happen to shoot a deer whose antlers don't meet the minimum spread--even though there is no way to measure the antler spread until the deer is shot.

Similarly, look at the "War on Drugs," which has put countless individuals in jail, and destroyed African American families. Why is consuming drugs (as every human society in history, and pre-history did) a crime? The act itself results in nothing more than a relief of pain, or slightly different mood; if it resulted in actual crimes committed, those would be prosecuted. Why prosecute something (and spend TRILLIONS of taxpayer dollars doing so) that isn't harmful? Why is consuming any drug that isn't produced by Big Pharma illegal, except for the heavily taxed alcohol and tobacco industries? Similarly, why is taking ANY medications illegal, unless you have gone through all the expensive and time-consuming bureaucratic loopholes required to get government permission? Exactly what public good is served by making chronic pain patients physically return every 28 days for yet another doctor's appointment, so they can hand-carry a written prescription--other than maximizing cost?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM

27,018 posts, read 20,206,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
person 1
Stealing affects everyone negatively. Whatever good they did was just washed down the drain.

Quote:
person 2
great father and husband
volunteer fire fighter
First I'd correct him on using the word, "irregardless", and then I'd tell him what a pos he is. He's beating people up based on assumptions. Whatever good he did was just washed down the drain.

Quote:
person 3
Again, he affected other people. Whatever good they did was just washed down the drain.

Quote:
person 4
Stealing affects everybody. Whatever good they did, was just washed down the drain.

If you were looking to see where someone's moral compass pointed, you failed when it comes to me. Every instance above shows the person's true character when they stole, injured, or killed another person. That is not a good person no matter what they did before. A truly good person does not steal, beat up, or murder other people.

I wonder how that would fly with a judge: "I spent 16 years in Africa as a missionary, your honor. Surely me murdering someone isn't so bad since I did all that good."

Baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics