Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 AM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have never had a server look at the amt of cash that is placed down when
asking..."Do you need cash back?"
It is a common question that saves them bringing back $4.32 to the table.

I think the server is untrained if placing a check at the time of food being set down.
The 2 servers that recently asked me if I wanted change back carried change in a pocket in their uniform and made change at the table in front of you. Asking then if you want your change back. $25.00 change tip for a $25.00 meal is a little bit to much leave as change.
One was Applebee's the other was at Red Robin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 AM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Inconsiderate, yes, rude, no.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,905,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Anyone heard the phrase: first world problems?

This depends a great deal on the type of place. My favorite diner brings the bill with the food and that's fine with me. I wouldn't expect that in a fine restaurant. But in more ordinary places a lot of servers have been trained to do that because that's what their clientele expect. Or they have been trained poorly or not at all. Some are struggling to make their rent, maybe to feed their kid(s). Some are college kids trying to get through school.

I give them all the benefit of the doubt and would never short them on the tip for bringing the bill with the food.

When paying they may have been trained to ask, do you need change, or they may not have examined the bill they were handed. Again, benefit of the doubt.
I do understand and agree with you on this. I feel that sometimes others are just having a bad day and I can easily overlook whatever it was that bothered me. However if it's a repeated problem with a waiter then I need to avoid going there or say something. There are several places I go to that leave the bill shortly after the meal is delivered to the table. I guess they find it convenient to do that especially if they are real busy and know that you might want to leave right after eating. On a side note I always give 20% regardless of the quality of service. These are working people who need to earn a living and it's not easy to be a waiter/waitress. Sometimes that tip maybe the one thing that helps them pay their bills. When I was a kid I worked during the summer in a cafe and know how hard those people try to get through the day at such a low income.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 AM

24,773 posts, read 28,553,189 times
Here at are local hunts the bill comes toward the end of the meal...Plus and have a nice day from the server.It's down home country and the bill is folded and placed under the condiment try...

Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,454,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Yesterday I was dining out at a restaurant and my server happened to place the bill on the table along with my food which I personally didn't appreciate because I don't like to feel rushed, the restaurant wasn't that busy when I went.

I prefer to get my bill when I'm done eating, not when I first get my food.
It depends on what time of day it was. If it was lunch then I feel it's perfectly acceptable. People are in a hurry and usually only have a certain amount of time to eat, where it is 45 mins, 1 hr, etc. I actually used to be a waitress. First place was at a Pizza Hut and one thing that we were told to do was during lunch buffet when you drop off the drinks, to also drop off the check. That way when the guest is set to pay, they just have to put down a debit/credit card or cash and the server knows is all ready. If they have to add something else, no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have never had a server look at the amt of cash that is placed down when
asking..."Do you need cash back?"
It is a common question that saves them bringing back $4.32 to the table.
From a former server point of view, I HATE when a server asks "Do you need any change?" It sounds very unprofessional and like they are expecting a tip. I mean, of course they are, but it should never be implied. A much better way of approaching the cash down on table is, "I'll be right back with that." Same concept, but sounds much more professional. If no change is needed 9 times out of 10 the guest will let the server know anyway.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:21 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,108,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
It depends on what time of day it was. If it was lunch then I feel it's perfectly acceptable. People are in a hurry and usually only have a certain amount of time to eat, where it is 45 mins, 1 hr, etc. I actually used to be a waitress. First place was at a Pizza Hut and one thing that we were told to do was during lunch buffet when you drop off the drinks, to also drop off the check. That way when the guest is set to pay, they just have to put down a debit/credit card or cash and the server knows is all ready. If they have to add something else, no big deal.

From a former server point of view, I HATE when a server asks "Do you need any change?" It sounds very unprofessional and like they are expecting a tip. I mean, of course they are, but it should never be implied. A much better way of approaching the cash down on table is, "I'll be right back with that." Same concept, but sounds much more professional. If no change is needed 9 times out of 10 the guest will let the server know anyway.
It was around 3pm when I went and the restaurant wasn't really that busy, I don't ever recall having a server ask me if I need any change.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:36 PM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Inconsiderate, yes, rude, no.
LOL, inconsiderate and rude are the same. Forms of rudeness: inconsiderate, insensitive, deliberately offensive, impolite... Rudeness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2014, 05:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times
Ha! The places I eat out anymore I have to pay for the food before they hand it to me through a window in a sack!

Seriously though, I would never expect a fine restaurant to hand you the bill with your food. If they did, I'd probably pay the bill and walk out; without a tip.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:07 PM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
LOL, inconsiderate and rude are the same. Forms of rudeness: inconsiderate, insensitive, deliberately offensive, impolite... Rudeness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL maybe Wiki does, but these folks don't and I agree with them.

Rude vs. inconsiderate (lessons from the roads of Amman) - Frenji Jordan Blog

Is there a difference between rude and inconsiderate?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,553,551 times
Personally, I don't think it's either rude or inconsiderate and not worth getting your panties in a scrunch over! Big deal- the bill is there. Whenever I am ready to pay-it'll be there and I don't have to flag down the waitress. And I would not feel rushed by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics