Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times

Advertisements

Ah, yes, such sweet memories. I remember penny gumball machines. I especially liked the Ford machines that dispensed little square Chiclet-sized gum in different colors and flavors. In the 1950s a penny could get you a miniature Tootsie roll ("Midgees"), a jawbreaker, a piece of Dubble Bubble or Bazooka bubble gum, a sucker with those clear, crimped cellophane tops or Safe-T-Pops, which had bendable looped sticks that couldn't hurt little mouths.

There's a website called Hometown Favorites that carries all sorts of nostalgic sweets from the past (including some hard-to-find items that you don't see any more). I love to browse through it even though I've never actually bought anything.

Old Fashioned Candy - Nostalgic Candies - Online Grocery Shopping - Unique Gifts - Hometown Favorites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 12:13 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
I still find it puzzling how just 2-3 years age difference can leave far different experiences in our memories. But, it's always seemed that way in music and other memories.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
My Grandma had a cleaners and what a mess, stuff all over the floor, but you could always find pennies and then right next door was the store with the candy

Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Lol as a young child I had a hernia, it looked like a big bubble, maybe the size of a marble inside my belly. My dad used to use medical tape and a nickel to tape it so it wouldn't stick out, till I got surgery. After school I would take that nickel off and oh, the things you can buy for 5c back then, on the way home at the little corner store. Usually I would buy a Hershey bar and try to finish eating it before getting home. Of course, too, back then, everything was bigger, too.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Ford Gum Ball Machine for those young people.. all ways near the door as the parents draged the child out of the store crying.. Crying was the key... the child saw the gum ball machine on the way in... so on the way out "CRY" to shut him /her up give them a penny.. you were so excited dropping the penny in the slot and slamming the lever over... 1 gum ball will always flew out of the tray and rolled across the floor.... you had 2 more in the gutter of the machine. Grab them and then go after the one on the floor.. as a kid the 5 second rule was now in play.. blow it off shove it in your mouth and chew sweet nirvana....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics