Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 03:10 AM

13,610 posts, read 10,018,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I was talking to a woman on the phone about joining the gym, and it got me thinking, why am I so scared (to extent of butterflies in my stomach!) about calling a stranger on the phone, but not scarred at all about physically seeing and talking to a stranger. I don't really understand why I'm like this? one would think it would be the other way round, as talking to a stranger on the phone is less likely to punch you or whatever? But being a social person, I'd rather see what the persons body language is and stuff when asking questions...

Am I the only person that's like this, or is there anyone else here who would rather see a stranger physically when talking about something regarding joining the gym or talking about bank problems, than talking to the stranger through the phone?
Great subject, and I'm glad you brought it up.

I was just thinking about this yesterday, when I called someone that I knew, but have never met. If I'd had a video link, I think I'd be okay, but I just have a problem with phones, even Skype to landlines.

There is a plus, my phone bill is tiny.

I'm not sure if this has any relevance, but as a child I was told never to answer the phone, and that I didn't sound refined enough to talk to anyone that called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,042,421 times
I am uncomfortable talking on the telephone. There are also technical problems. I have difficulty recognizing people's voices (When I have to call, I immediately tell people who I am). Landlines have a restricted and unnatural frequency response, but are far superior to cell phones. Every time a cell phone cuts out, it causes me to miss syllables both before and after the cut. Foreign accents are a real problem, too.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:24 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Total opposite here. As much as I despise phones, for business-related matters I prefer it over in-person, and I don't know why. Maybe it's because it takes less time in most cases.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
I hate talking on the phone.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:51 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
My son has this problem. He becomes agitated, starts pacing and sometimes hands the phone to me. Thanks for nothin' son.

He has gotten better because he has to receive/handle customer calls at work. It's bad form to hang up on the customer.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,064 times
Depends..... am I mad?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:38 AM

33 posts, read 32,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I was talking to a woman on the phone about joining the gym, and it got me thinking, why am I so scared (to extent of butterflies in my stomach!) about calling a stranger on the phone, but not scarred at all about physically seeing and talking to a stranger. I don't really understand why I'm like this? one would think it would be the other way round, as talking to a stranger on the phone is less likely to punch you or whatever? But being a social person, I'd rather see what the persons body language is and stuff when asking questions...

Am I the only person that's like this, or is there anyone else here who would rather see a stranger physically when talking about something regarding joining the gym or talking about bank problems, than talking to the stranger through the phone?

I totally know what you're feeling I'm uncomfortable with talking on the phone, period, for those reasons and only do it when I absolutely need to.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 AM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
No.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:39 AM

8 posts, read 6,054 times
That is actually a phobia. It's literally called phonophobia.
More people have it than anyone wants to admit.
Which sucks for people like me whose job it is to plan events. Most of the time I can just email them but when I have to actually call someone I have to psych myself out for like 20 minuets before I can do it.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:28 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,388 times
I hate calling people I don't know...I start stuttering...and say the wrong things...if people call me...it's fine...like new doctor offices or repair people....so when I have to call a new place I love when they have a machine and you can leave yiur number.... for some reason that takes the pressure off....what pressure who knows!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics