Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:02 AM

54,503 posts, read 33,925,484 times

Advertisements

You're supposed to wash clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 AM

27,418 posts, read 27,460,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I'll just add my cent's worth.

I found that top loaders did more to harm clothes than front loaders.

Front loaders are also more water efficient, and I suspect more energy efficient.

And yes, we do still wash the occasional delicate item by hand.
I like the front loaders too, simply for those reasons you named. But haven't seen one yet that you can do a 2nd rinse or very short (5 min) deicate wash....either way, they are much more efficient.
I forgot to add that we have one of those washers that have no agitator, energy efficiency is pay of the deal, but this one has no
2nd
rinse option.

Last edited by country pride; 03-04-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 AM

126,416 posts, read 19,161,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Absolutely! I do wash selected clothing by hand. Usually stuff made of wool, cashmere, mohair, silk, satin, velvet, delicate fabrics with embroidery/lace, delicate lingerie, pantyhose, items labeled "dry clean" or "hand wash", top quality/expensive clothing that I would never wash in a machine.
I use clear hair shampoo or Woolite, and never ever dry anything in a dryer (I don't even have dryer - by choice), but roll in a towel, and lay it flat on a towel to dry, or air-dry on an outdoor clotheline in the Summer, or on an indoor rack in the Winter.
elnina I wash all my Punjabi suits and shawls in Woolite not about to take a chance of ripping something,so my hand stitched lace tablecloth from my grandmother. Any pure wool hats from Europe I wash by hand and air dry as well and they are in mint condition still after all those years

Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,411,190 times
Washing Machine. I'm American... that's how we do it in the Western world. I only hand-wash fine lace or very delicate fabrics (lingerie, pantyhose, etc).

No one washes all of their clothes by hand anymore here unless they can't even afford $3 to go to a laundry mat --- or if they're crazy, off-grid hipsters.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM

44,413 posts, read 20,161,612 times
I have at least 15 items (not counting lingerie) that I wash by hand. A few are red, and I wash them by hand because I don't want them to discolor other items in the washing machine. Others have a loose weave or decoration which could be damaged in the machine, so I'd rather wash them by hand to be safe.

The vast majority of my laundry is washed in the machine, though.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:14 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,340,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I only wash by hand the things that can't go in a machine ("delicates"), and I don't own many of these.
Our machine actually has a "delicates" setting and a "hand wash" setting, lol. The "hand wash" setting kinda just stirs them around once in while. Although I don't trust everything to that setting.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:21 PM

24,782 posts, read 28,621,350 times
Here in Tennessee we all down to the crick... find a big ole flat rock and pound are clothes clean.. stone washed. Big city folk pay big bucks for stone washed jeans.. it's just the life style here.. and it's free and so much fun on a hot summer day.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,037,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hand-washing and machine washing, even on the gentle cycle are different. The agitation on the gentle cycle may stretch, snag or pull fabrics. A front load machine will have less agitation, but regardless, hand-washing is not equivalent to your delicate cycle.
I am just too careful with my "extra care" clothing and will not take that risk.
You should be glad you don't have one of those old Frigidaire washers with the up and down agitation. They'd tie your clothes in knots and then chew them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neUK0U6lB2g

Talk about getting your knickers in a twist. LOL!

Old 02-14-2018, 05:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,472,817 times
I washed a lot of clothes by hand in college. I didn't have much money, and some of those hand washings were sweaters that I would have had to dry clean. since I usually just had a few things and had room to hang to dry, it worked out well.
Now, I would rather NOT hand wash. It's hard to get things thoroughly rinsed. I trust the washer more. I still hang a LOT of items to dry because I want to keep them look their best and minimize fading.
Over time, though, clothes age - fade and get thin and tattered, no matter how you wash them.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 AM

33,028 posts, read 36,605,543 times
Wow. 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics