Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;41301310]Greetings all!

I hope you are all ready to ponder some Questions. Let's go!

Today's Question(s):
North or south of the equator, the season is changing.
Does the change of season change the way you do some things:
do any restaurants alter their menu? Not that I'm aware of.
do some places open/close for the season? No not here.
can you only buy certain fruits and/or vegetables now?I love summer fruit the best. I'll miss the good water melon. This last one wasn't so good.
do individuals change their habits in accordance with the change? No more late night bike rides soon I love having the whole town to myself and riding any where I want to go in the middle of the street.

Bonus Question(s):
Willie the Wizard is going to allow you to do three impossible things. What will you do?
1.) Lose this damn belly fat. It's impossible (Especially when you eat chocolate for breakies)
2.) Convince my friend "Thelma" that no one is coming in her house at night. The poor thing is losing it.
3.) Install the patio with just a wave of the wand. It's going to be a brutal project.

Just for Fun:
What is the funniest thing you have ever said to a child or pet?
I told one of the shorties on Facebook "Don't make me kill you."

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1969 "Clues Hint at Beatle's Death," reported in Illinois University newspaper, sparking widespread rumours of Paul McCartney's death
Birthday: Ray Charles, American singer, songwriter, musician and composer (d. 6/10/2004)
Science/Technology: 2012 Four genetically different types of breast cancer are identified by researchers; the study, part of the Cancer Genome Atlas, will help scientists understand how to cure breast cancer in the future.
Sports: 1997 Seattle Mariners break record for most home runs in a year (258)

Today’s Word:
holophrasm
Pronunciation: (HOL-uh-fraz-um)
Meaning:
noun
1. A one-word sentence, for example, “Go.”
2. A complex idea conveyed in a single word, for example, “Howdy” for “How do you do?”
Etymology: From Greek holos (whole) + phrasis (speech).
Earliest documented use: 1862.

Today is:
Autumn Equinox
Celebrate Bi-sexuality Day
Checkers Day or Dogs in Politics Day
Mabon (Northern Hemisphere)/Ostara (Southern Hemisphere)
Restless Legs Awareness Day
National Rehabilitation Day (Third Wednesday)

Quote of the Day:
"The fact of the matter is, you don't give up what's natural. Anything I've fantasized about, I've done." ~ Ray Charles ~

Have a good day everyone.

Thanks PatsCats you too. It's a beautiful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
[quote=PatsCats;41301310]
Today's Question(s):
North or south of the equator, the season is changing.
Does the change of season change the way you do some things: The clothing I wear, and in late Dec. or early Jan I won't eat in an outdoor cafe unless it is in the sun.
do any restaurants alter their menu? Not that I know of...our seasons do not have huge temperature variations, menus change because of the animals that are slaughtered in certain seasons, e.g. lambs.
do some places open/close for the season? A very, very few...and they are on the beach or sea.
can you only buy certain fruits and/or vegetables now? Locally grown ones, yes; but the big markets just import stuff from other places. The small corner markets just sell whatever local produce is in season.
do individuals change their habits in accordance with the change? Not willingly. Large numbers of the wild and unruly are herded into places called schools, where they are kept away from the rest of the population for a large part of the day.

Bonus Question(s):
Willie the Wizard is going to allow you to do three impossible things. What will you do?
1.) East heavily salted French fries with dinner every day.
2.) Sound suave, intelligence and irresistible in more than just two languages.
3.) Have a body suit tattoo as incredible as my MRW delivery man, and his ability to carry it off.

Just for Fun:
What is the funniest thing you have ever said to a child or pet?

I had a cat who used to stare up at me from the floor, and then carefully climb up onto the chair and sit on the arm. Then he would stare and stare into my face, and in some really intense sessions he would raise up on his hind legs, brace himself against my chest with one outstretched paw and reach up with the other and place it on my chin....never breaking his stare. No meowing, no kissy-kissy, just staring. So, in the end I had this cat about three or four inches from my face staring right into my eyes. I used to say, quite firmly,"You are not my analyst!"

It had no effect. I think he thought I was Trilby to his Svengali.

I gave him to a nice young family when I moved to Europe. The cat fit in fine with everyone I was told, but he had only ever lived with me and he transferred all the conduct that he had with me onto the young father: Especially very aggressively interfering with his use of the computer when he sat down at the keyboard, and this intense, intimate staring routine. The guy liked the cat, but used to say to his wife. "This animal is strange. You know, he's very weird. What's wrong with him, I wonder."

His wife's beautiful rejoinder was repeated back to me. She finally said, after one of her husband's string of comments about the cat: "Joe, listen. There is nothing wrong with the cat. But he's obviously very worried about you."

Today’s Word:
holophrasm
Pronunciation: (HOL-uh-fraz-um)
Meaning:
noun
1. A one-word sentence, for example, “Go.”
2. A complex idea conveyed in a single word, for example, “Howdy” for “How do you do?”
Etymology: From Greek holos (whole) + phrasis (speech).
Earliest documented use: 1862.

Great word, never heard it before.

Today is:
Autumn Equinox
Celebrate Bi-sexuality Day

Did someone have tongue in cheek putting these two days together, I wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics