Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:29 PM

586 posts, read 833,587 times

Advertisements

First thought: debt collectors, but we are current on all of our bills. I cant think of anything. I am the type who do not like to pick up from unknown numbers, or strange numbers in general. I've picked up from strange numbers before and its usually surveys or telemarketing. After the initial phone call, I stop picking up, they try back a few times and then stop. This number, is persistent however. I looked at my phone record and they started calling on 9/21. They try me first, and then call my husband an hour later, once a week. My husband works during the business hours, so tough luck reaching him. I work during the morning, so the first few times they called me (which happened around 8:30, although their calling times can vary) I missed it.

I tried finding out who it was, if we do have an unknown bill, we can work with them, ask them to send an official statement or whatever, but when I call back, it says number is not in service. They NEVER leave a voicemail. Its a local number or at least a nearby city based off the area code. I've had at least another take turns calling me. Almost like they'd switch off every other week. Same area code, same first 3 numbers, but last 4 digits are different, so I am assuming its the same person/place. Its annoying more than anything.

One time I was on my phone and they called me. The normal me would definitely pick up to see who it is, but this number has gotten suspicious with no voicemails, untraceable numbers, no general record on the internet etc. Nothing in the mail either that would suggest someone is trying to reach out to me. So should I continue ignoring them, is it safe to place them on my block list, or should I pick up to see who it is?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:52 PM

21,574 posts, read 8,749,478 times
Try Googling the phone number and see what comes up. It could be a scammer or an attempt to steal your identity. There are a lot of schemes out there:

Why Phone Fraud Starts With A Silent Call : All Tech Considered : NPR

Phone Scams | Consumer Information

If you have a smart phone, you have to be careful about spoof text messages, too. Today on my smart phone I got one that appears to be from my carrier, AT&T. It said,

"Your wireless bill is ready to view & pay at [website that looks like AT&T but is slightly different]. Sending this note via e-mail failed, please verify your account e-mail under My Profile."

The reason I know it must be phony is that these messages come after I've already received a confirmation text from the real AT&T that includes a confirmation code and the amount paid.

It never hurts to be cautious.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:53 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times
It's some sort of scammer junk call. If they aren't leaving a message, stop worrying about it. If you owe someone money, they'd send mail.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times
Your best bet is to contact your telephone service provider and talk to their security department about harassing calls. At this time it’s not life threating but the caller/s could become more aggressive in time. The service provider may or will want you to start a police report so if the person is identified using the list of numbers, dates & times they’ll be able to prosecute the individual. In most cases this type of harassment simply ends without an issue but it can go the other way as well, causing harm. Usually everyone wants you to change your phone numbers first, but that’s not always an option for some people. I wish you the best of luck getting this cleared up.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:55 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Your best bet is to contact your telephone service provider and talk to their security department about harassing calls. At this time it’s not life threating but the caller/s could become more aggressive in time. The service provider may or will want you to start a police report so if the person is identified using the list of numbers, dates & times they’ll be able to prosecute the individual. In most cases this type of harassment simply ends without an issue but it can go the other way as well, causing harm. Usually everyone wants you to change your phone numbers first, but that’s not always an option for some people. I wish you the best of luck getting this cleared up.
What other way?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's some sort of scammer junk call. If they aren't leaving a message, stop worrying about it. If you owe someone money, they'd send mail.
Thats what I thought. If it was really urgent, they would send mail instead of trying for over 1.5 months. I will put them on my block list and tell husband to do the same. I've been tempted to pick up my phone on several occasions but my instinct told me not to do so because of the suspicious factors.

Thanks for the comments!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Try Googling the phone number and see what comes up. It could be a scammer or an attempt to steal your identity. There are a lot of schemes out there:

Why Phone Fraud Starts With A Silent Call : All Tech Considered : NPR

Phone Scams | Consumer Information

If you have a smart phone, you have to be careful about spoof text messages, too. Today on my smart phone I got one that appears to be from my carrier, AT&T. It said,

"Your wireless bill is ready to view & pay at [website that looks like AT&T but is slightly different]. Sending this note via e-mail failed, please verify your account e-mail under My Profile."

The reason I know it must be phony is that these messages come after I've already received a confirmation text from the real AT&T that includes a confirmation code and the amount paid.

It never hurts to be cautious.
Nothing comes up for them, except that their number is from Portland which is local number.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:02 PM

27,375 posts, read 27,421,823 times
I get those daily. Sometimes the same number tries to call more than once. Funny thing is, it's from my area code, but I don't answer. I looked up both numbers that have been trying to call, but unless I want to pay for the results, all I get is a general location and whether it's a landline or cellphone. I put a block on my phone, if a number not in my contacts tries to call or text, it won't come through.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
I get those daily. Sometimes the same number tries to call more than once. Funny thing is, it's from my area code, but I don't answer. I looked up both numbers that have been trying to call, but unless I want to pay for the results, all I get is a general location and whether it's a landline or cellphone. I put a block on my phone, if a number not in my contacts tries to call or text, it won't come through.
Ditto! Although they are a little bit more lenient in my case, calling once a week vs. once a day. If it was the latter, I think I would go crazy and go back to the 90's by not owning a cell phone.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:13 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Recently, I have been receiving a hang up call from various different numbers from various different area codes that I have never seen before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics