Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 11:46 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, January 17, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people who were born on this date include U.S. founding father Benjamin Franklin; gangster Al Capone; actors James Earl Jones and Jim Carrey; humanitarian Dr. Tom Dooley; actresses Betty White and Zooey Deschanel; U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama; boxing legend Muhammad Ali; TV personality Maury Povich; comedians Andy Kaufman and Steve Harvey; hair stylist Vidal Sassoon; dancers Moira Shearer and Maksim Chmerkovskiy and singer Eartha Kitt.

Today’s Question:
Who was the first celebrity you ever saw in person?

Bonus Question:
What was the last movie you’ve seen (either at home or in a theater)?

What did you think of it?

Just For Fun:
What are some things you know by heart or have memorized?

Today in History:
1377 – Pope Gregory moves the Papal seat back to Rome from Avignon.
1595 - King Henri IV of France declares war on Spain.
1773 – Capt. James Cook becomes the first to cross the Antarctic Circle.
1775 – Nine old women burned as witches in Kalisk, Poland, for causing bad harvests.
1821 – Mexico permits Moses Austin and 300 U.S. families to settle in Texas.
1823 – Stephen F. Austin (son of Moses) receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
1827 – Duke of Wellington appointed British Supreme Commander
1871 – First cable car patented by Andrew Hallidie.
1873 – A group of Modoc warriors defeats the U.S. Army in the First Battle of the Stronghold.
1893 - Record low temperature recorded in Delaware (-17ºF/-27ºC); Queen Liliuokalani deposed as the Kingdom of Hawaii becomes a republic.
1912 – Capt. Robert Scott’s expedition arrives in the Antarctic one month after Amundsen.
1920 – Prohibition is enacted in the United States. a result of the 18th Amendment banning the sale of alcoholic beverages.
1928 – First completely automatic photographic film developing machine patented.
1945 – Auschwitz concentration camp begins evacuations.
1945 – Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, the humanitarian who was responsible for saving thousands of Hungarian Jews from the Holocaust, disappears in Budapest.

1950 – The Great Brinks Robbery: Eleven men take $1.2 million in cash and $1.5 million In securities when they rob an armored car in Boston, Massachusetts.
1955 – Submarine Nautilus begins first nuclear-powered test voyage.
1961 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers a televised farewell address to the nation in which he warns of the dangers of the accumulation of power by the “military-industrial complex.”

1962 – NASA civilian pilot Neil Armstrong takes an X-15 to 40,690 m (25.28 miles).
1969 – Led Zeppelin releases debut album in the U.S..
1971 – In Dublin, Sinn Fein end their 65-year abstentionist policy and agree that any elected representative may take their seat at the Dáil.
1973 – City of Amsterdam decides to support Hanoi; new Philippine constitution appoints Ferdinand Marcos president for life.
1984 – U.S. Supreme Court rules that taping TV programs for later use does not violate federal copyright laws.
1987 – U.S. President Reagan signs a secret deal authorizing covert sales of arms to Iran.
1991 – Operation Desert Storm begins against Iraq’s Saddam Hussein.
1995 – 7.2 earthquake destroys Kobe, Japan; 5,372 die.
2002 – Mount Nyiragongo erupts in the Democratic Republic of Congo, displacing 400,000 people.
2013 – Japan unveils plans to build the world’s largest wind farm near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

Quote of the Day:
“Remember not only to say the right thing at the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”
- Benjamin Franklin

Word of the Day
slug noun
Definition:
1. Any of many terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusks having no (or only a rudimentary) shell.
2. (journalism) a title used to indicate the content of a newspaper or magazine story for editing use.
3. (web design) the last part of a clean UR, the displayed resource name, similar to a filename.
4. (obsolete) a hindrance; an obstruction.

Today is
Benjamin Franklin Day
Hardware Freedom Day
Kid Inventors’ Day
Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:54 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today’s Question:
I think it was Doris Day, it's been so long ago can't remember.

Bonus Question:
What was the last movie you’ve seen (either at home or in a theater)? Burlesque starring Cher at home on DVD.

What did you think of it? It was okay.

Just For Fun:
What are some things you know by heart or have memorized? My ABC's and the Pledge of Allegiance..

bay

Old 01-16-2016, 11:58 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Today’s Question:
Who was the first celebrity you ever saw in person? Bob Hope, when I was about 13. I went with my family to see him at the Purdue University campus in about 1967 in West Lafayette, IN.

Bonus Question:
What was the last movie you’ve seen (either at home or in a theater)? Tonight (Sat) I saw "Joy" at a theatre. Good movie; based on a true story.

What did you think of it? It wasn't entertaining as I'd expected, but I really liked it nonetheless. Good story; great acting.

Just For Fun:
What are some things you know by heart or have memorized? Lyrics to arias and songs; guitar chords; poems; church-related stuff; ritual work from a couple of philanthropic organizations to which I belong.

Word of the Day
slug noun
Definition:
1. Any of many terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusks having no (or only a rudimentary) shell.
2. (journalism) a title used to indicate the content of a newspaper or magazine story for editing use.
3. (web design) the last part of a clean UR, the displayed resource name, similar to a filename.
I didn't know the journalism- and web design-related definitions.

Today is
Benjamin Franklin Day Great man, though he looked silly wearing shoes with bows on them.
Hardware Freedom Day What the.....?
Kid Inventors’ Day This is good!
Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day Mine hasn't come to fruition yet.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, January 17, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people who were born on this date include U.S. founding father Benjamin Franklin; gangster Al Capone; actors James Earl Jones and Jim Carrey; humanitarian Dr. Tom Dooley; actresses Betty White and Zooey Deschanel; U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama; boxing legend Muhammad Ali; TV personality Maury Povich; comedians Andy Kaufman and Steve Harvey; hair stylist Vidal Sassoon; dancers Moira Shearer and Maksim Chmerkovskiy and singer Eartha Kitt.

Today’s Question:
There were many in Dallas and several before then, but seriously don't keep up with such stuff.

Bonus Question:
It's been a movie marathon weekend w/free Showtime... all have been great that I've watched thus far!
What did you think of it? ^^^

Just For Fun:
My name/age/rank & serial #, lol, joking about the rank & serial #!
Thankfully, 'tis still more than room for here!

Today in History:
1775 – Nine old women burned as witches in Kalisk, Poland, for causing bad harvests.
1823 – Stephen F. Austin (son of Moses) receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
1873 – A group of Modoc warriors defeats the U.S. Army in the First Battle of the Stronghold.
1893 - Record low temperature recorded in Delaware (-17ºF/-27ºC); Queen Liliuokalani deposed as the Kingdom of Hawaii becomes a republic.
1912 – Capt. Robert Scott’s expedition arrives in the Antarctic one month after Amundsen.
1920 – Prohibition is enacted in the United States. a result of the 18th Amendment banning the sale of alcoholic beverages.
1928 – First completely automatic photographic film developing machine patented.
1945 – Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, the humanitarian who was responsible for saving thousands of Hungarian Jews from the Holocaust, disappears in Budapest.

1950 – The Great Brinks Robbery: Eleven men take $1.2 million in cash and $1.5 million In securities when they rob an armored car in Boston, Massachusetts.
1961 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers a televised farewell address to the nation in which he warns of the dangers of the accumulation of power by the “military-industrial complex.”

1962 – NASA civilian pilot Neil Armstrong takes an X-15 to 40,690 m (25.28 miles).
1971 – In Dublin, Sinn Fein end their 65-year abstentionist policy and agree that any elected representative may take their seat at the Dáil.
1973 – City of Amsterdam decides to support Hanoi; new Philippine constitution appoints Ferdinand Marcos president for life.
1984 – U.S. Supreme Court rules that taping TV programs for later use does not violate federal copyright laws.
1987 – U.S. President Reagan signs a secret deal authorizing covert sales of arms to Iran.
2002 – Mount Nyiragongo erupts in the Democratic Republic of Congo, displacing 400,000 people.
2013 – Japan unveils plans to build the world’s largest wind farm near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

Quote of the Day:
“Remember not only to say the right thing at the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”
- Benjamin Franklin

Word of the Day
slug noun
Definition:

Today is
Benjamin Franklin Day
Hardware Freedom Day
Kid Inventors’ Day
Thanks Bay for Sunday's enlightening QotD!

Enjoy All!

Old 01-17-2016, 12:13 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
Today’s Question:
Ronald Reagan in Camp Lejeune, NC back in 1983 shortly after the Beirut Barracks Bombing that claimed 299 lives.
Chris Robinson an actor who played Rick Webber #2 on General Hospital in NYC in late 88 or 89.

Bonus Question:
[REC] 3: Genesis

If you're going to do a horror comedy flick, you should go all in - not a little bit of horror with not very funny comedic bits sprinkled in. Spend a little more on the script... and the actors... and the special fx.

Just For Fun:
What are some things you know by heart or have memorized? My SSN, parent's phone number and an elevator pitch as to why I have never married

Quote of the Day:
- Benjamin Franklin
Oh how I struggle with this. The temptation is so strong.

Thanks Bayarea

Have An Amazing Sunday Y'all

Old 01-17-2016, 12:24 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Today’s Question:
I'm not sure....

Bonus Question:
Don't recall i watch so many.

Just For Fun:
My name and address ...that's about it these days.

Today in History:
1821 – Mexico permits Moses Austin and 300 U.S. families to settle in Texas. Grande mistake.

Quote of the Day:
- Benjamin Franklin

Word of the Day
slug noun
Definition:

Today is
Benjamin Franklin Day
Hardware Freedom Day
Kid Inventors’ Day
Thanks Bay. Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-17-2016 at 12:33 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 02:27 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Good morning Shep and all.

Today’s Question:

It would have been quite some time ago so I'm having to think back. There's probably two candidates. One was Don Rogers, the star player for the little known local football (soccer) club, Swindon Town. He did hit the headlines, when in 1969 they reached the final of a cup competition, despite being in the third level of English football. (England were the World Champions at the time.)

They were playing Arsenal, who were and still are one of the top teams in the Country. Swindon astounded everyone by winning 3-1 with Rogers scoring two goals at Wembley. Dad and my Granddad were both there.

Don Rogers came to our tiny town to do signings.

The other candidate would be the then Prime Minister of the UK, Harold Wilson. We were on a school trip to London and went into Downing Street, and there he was outside No. 10 waving at the small crowd.

Bonus Question:

At the cinema, that would be Spectre. At home I got home last night and Miss J was watching Lost In Translation, and I watched a bit of it with her, though I've seen it before.

Spectre was okay in a predictable way. Switch your brain off and enjoy it!

I quite liked Lost In Translation. I love Bill Murray and thought that Scarlett Johansenn did a good job. I also quite liked the storyline.

Just For Fun:

These days, given my job, I know a ton of stuff about the historic place where I work. I know the history of the family, the evolution of the house, pretty much all the paintings and various other artifacts. But there's always more to learn.

In the past I've had to know a whole series of otherwise totally obscure scientific stuff. I used to have a photographic memory which stood me in good stead.

Oh, and I know most of the dialogue from most of the Sean Connery James Bond movies.

Thanks Shep.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:48 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Who was the first celebrity I ever saw in person? Hmmmmmm, I don't think I ever saw a famous person until I spent time in London in the 70s. I then saw quite a few in a short space of time. I would imagine it was the golden age movie star Ingrid Bergman. To actually speak to this woman, who I had watched in films on tv earlier in my life was a great thrill.

The last film I watched was the new Star Wars movie. Did I like it? Well, I'm still waving my imaginary light saber!!........

I know a few songs by heart, and will on occasion, treat my wife to a tune...........

It's my hero Muhammad Ali's birthday today huh? Happy birthday to you sir!! Here's Ali on a visit to England a few years ago. With him is his good friend Henry Cooper. He is one of the few men who managed to deck the great Ali in his prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuoLyPOuFP4

Old 01-17-2016, 04:53 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Today’s Question:

Bozo the Clown

Bonus Question:
What was the last movie you’ve seen (either at home or in a theater)? Spotlight

What did you think of it?Excellent

Just For Fun:
What are some things you know by heart or have memorized? A billion things for my job!

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:
- Benjamin Franklin

Word of the Day
slug noun
Definition:

Today is
Benjamin Franklin Day Amazing person (although his personal life puts me in a wonder mode)
Hardware Freedom Day
Kid Inventors’ Day
Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day Had no idea there was an official day for this!

Wishing you a sunny and sparkling Sunday!

Old 01-17-2016, 05:41 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Today’s Question:
Who was the first celebrity you ever saw in person? Andy Williams and Roger Miller in a concert

Bonus Question:
What was the last movie you’ve seen (either at home or in a theater)? Kate and Leopold on HBO last night
What did you think of it? So so

Just For Fun:
What are some things you know by heart or have memorized? Mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you? My parents loved that song! lol
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

Last edited by kygman; 01-17-2016 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Forgot something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics