Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:33 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Hope you are awake and ready to take on the day! But before you do, or before you finish for the day (depending on where you live), take a moment to have a little fun with today's Questions.

Today's Question(s):
What is your favorite candy from when you were a kid? Can you still find it anywhere? If so, do you remember the last time you had it?

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have any odd-shaped windows in your house, such as triangular, octagonal, semi-circular, etc.?

Just for Fun:
Have you ever tried to break a record, or do something for a prolonged length of time? If so, what did you try to do, and what was the goal?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1979 "YMCA" by Village People peaks at #2 on pop singles chart (You're singing it now, aren't you! )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k
Birthday: 1943 Blythe Danner, US Actress
Food: 1815 World's 1st commercial cheese factory established, in Switzerland
Pop Culture: 1982 John Sharples of England finishes disco dancing 371 hours
Science/Technology: 1966 1st soft landing on Moon (Soviet Luna 9)
Sports: 2013 A power outage occurs during the Super Bowl XLVII at New Orleans' Superdome; the Baltimore Ravens defeat the San Francisco 49ers 34 - 31

Today’s Word:
saga
Pronunciation: (SAH-guh)
Meaning: noun:
1. A long narrative of heroic exploits.
2. A long detailed report.
Etymology: From Old Norse, literally (narrative). Originally, a saga was an Old Norse or Icelandic prose narrative dealing
with historic or legendary figures.
Earliest documented use: 1709.
Kalevala, the Finnish national epic
http://neba.finlit.fi/kalevala/index.php?m=154&l=2

Today is:
Four Chaplains Memorial Day
National Carrot Cake Day (U.S.)
The Day The Music Died

Quote of the Day:
"I feel that it's our children who do give us hope because they are the ones who are going to save the world." ~ Blythe Danner ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today's Question(s):
What is your favorite candy from when you were a kid? Can you still find it anywhere? If so, do you remember the last time you had it? Botan Japanese rice candy was my favorite candy as a kid and yes, it can still be found in places like Asian food stores and even Walmart (around here) carries it. Last time I had it must have been 5+ years ago.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have any odd-shaped windows in your house, such as triangular, octagonal, semi-circular, etc.? No.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever tried to break a record, or do something for a prolonged length of time? If so, what did you try to do, and what was the goal? No, I'm not that daring.

Happy Hump Day!

Last edited by Dennis P; 02-03-2016 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 11:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Mornin' all!

Hope you are awake and ready to take on the day! But before you do, or before you finish for the day (depending on where you live), take a moment to have a little fun with today's Questions.

Today's Question(s):
What is your favorite candy from when you were a kid? Can you still find it anywhere? If so, do you remember the last time you had it?
Milk Duds, Slo-Pokes, Reese's Peanut Butter cups, Nestles Crunch and Hershey's plain and almond, Mounds and Almond Joy's. Most are still around though my list of favorites have changed a bit.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have any odd-shaped windows in your house, such as triangular, octagonal, semi-circular, etc.? Nope!

Just for Fun:
Have you ever tried to break a record, or do something for a prolonged length of time? If so, what did you try to do, and what was the goal?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1979 "YMCA" by Village People peaks at #2 on pop singles chart (You're singing it now, aren't you! )
Sports: 2013 A power outage occurs during the Super Bowl XLVII at New Orleans' Superdome; the Baltimore Ravens defeat the San Francisco 49ers 34 - 31

Today’s Word:
saga
Etymology: From Old Norse, literally (narrative). Originally, a saga was an Old Norse or Icelandic prose narrative dealing

Today is:
The Day The Music Died

Quote of the Day:
"I feel that it's our children who do give us hope because they are the ones who are going to save the world." ~ Blythe Danner ~

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job.

Last edited by SATX56; 02-03-2016 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Here's a picture of what the box of Japanese rice candy looks like, on each side:

Here's what the candy inside the box looks like:

Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Today's Question(s):
I used to love Mountain Bars. ("Brown and Haley makes 'em daily!")
I haven't seen them in stores for ages, but they're available from online retailers.
It's been years since I had one.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have any odd-shaped windows in your house, such as triangular, octagonal, semi-circular, etc.?
No, they're all rectangular and boring.

Just for Fun:
I used to try to hold my breath for as long as possible. I think I once made it to almost four minutes, but I can't do that now.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
What is your favorite candy from when you were a kid? Can you still find it anywhere? If so, do you remember the last time you had it? I can think of two: MARS Bar, which is long gone. There is a MARS bar in England but it's not the same at all; closest thing to it now is Snickers Almond. Second, the hot cinnamon Jolly Rancher bar, which was the length of a regular bar. Long gone, although you can find the cinnamon bits. Preferred the bar.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have any odd-shaped windows in your house, such as triangular, octagonal, semi-circular, etc.? Nope.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever tried to break a record, or do something for a prolonged length of time? If so, what did you try to do, and what was the goal? No, not really. I'm not a proponent of extremes.

Thanks, Pats.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Favourite candy from when I was a kid? Wow, there's so many. After finishing my little chore chopping small oblong pieces of wood to help light the coal fire, I received my allowance on a Friday night. It was a large coin known as a half crown.

Clutching said coin, I would walk up to Tattersall's emporium. In my other hand was my small savings book. I would go to the Post Office counter and buy my sixpenny savings stamp, and diligently lick it, and stick it in the book. My ambition was to try and save 20 stamps, which would add up to one pound. I never did make it.....

Then, after perusing the spinning rack full of DC comics, I would select one, generally Superman. This would leave me one shilling and three pennies. Mr Tattersall would stand patiently as I studied all the glass jars full of candy. All the quality candy would be about one shilling for a quarter pound. This of course, was too rich for my blood. I was only interested in the candy which was six pennies for a quarter. This included pear drops, mint humbugs, pineapple chunks, cough candy, aniseed balls, rhubarb and custard, and kop kops.

I would buy a quarter pound of one of the selection, and then pick something like a Mars bar. This left me three pennies. I would then lower my eyes to the glass fronted counter, and ask Mr Tattersall to bring out the penny tray. This would be full of little wrapped candies which were four for a penny. They had exotic titles like black jacks. I would pick eight of these, then say, "and a one penny gobstopper please Mr Tattersall."

That was my entire allowance accounted for, and all my booty would be put in a paper bag. I would then walk back home ready for the Friday evening telly. I would happily stuff my face with candy as I watched The Beverley Hillbillies, followed by Rawhide......... those really were the good old days!!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Good Morning!

Today's Question(s):
What is your favorite candy from when you were a kid? Can you still find it anywhere? If so, do you remember the last time you had it? Mallo cups, Baby Ruth. Both are still around, mallo cups are not so easy to find. I cannot remember the last time I have had them.

Bonus Question(s):

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1979 "YMCA" by Village People peaks at #2 on pop singles chart (You're singing it now, aren't you! [b]) It is a classic!

Today is:
The Day The Music Died

Wishing you a zippy do da kind of day!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today's Question(s):
What is your favorite candy from when you were a kid? Hershey Almond Bars.
Can you still find it anywhere? Everywhere.
If so, do you remember the last time you had it? 2 weeks ago.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have any odd-shaped windows in your house, such as triangular, octagonal, semi-circular, etc.? Trapezoids.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever tried to break a record, or do something for a prolonged length of time? Yes.
If so, what did you try to do, and what was the goal? Hold my breath to see how long I could.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:16 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!
thanks for posting pats!

Today's Question(s):
i miss penny candy in general. The big bins at grocery stores by the pound just aren't the same. Mmmm pixy sticks, Mary Janes, dot paper, wax bottles or lips, so many novelty candies! Oooooo astro pops! And I haven't started on the chocolate treats.

Bonus Question(s):

no but we did in my house growing up

Just for Fun:
Have you ever tried to break a record, or do something for a prolonged length of time? If so, what did you try to do, and what was the goal?if I did it was nothing heroic or impressive lol

Today in History:
Birthday: 1943 Blythe Danner, US Actresslove her - that sexy raspy drawl

Today’s Word:
saga

Today is:
The Day The Music Died

Quote of the Day:
"I feel that it's our children who do give us hope because they are the ones who are going to save the world." ~ Blythe Danner ~ i guess we all know she's gwyneth paltrows mom

You too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics