Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15912456/

Mods, I don't know if this belongs here, in Other Topics, or Politics.

What do y'all think? Is this woman right, wrong, or being ornery?
She chose to live in a place which has an association with rules about this sort of thing.
OTOH
The committee itself (which has since been fired) refused to vote against her.
Ah, 'tis the season.
This actually reminds me of the 70's (and Vietnam) all over again. I was living in Colorado then and some people really did call the peace symbol a sign of Satan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 07:08 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
I don't look at it as a sign. I look at it as a wreath. I think you'd be opening a big can of worms if you started telling people what Christmas decorations they can have. Aren't there more important things to worry about?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:30 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Them stupid association subdivisions, they're like a hippy commune gone bad.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:36 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Even though she may have known that her HOA didn't allow this type of decoration, some people just like to "buck" the rules. This lady knew exactly what she was doing when she put up this Wreath and has to face the consiquences of what she did. If she would have just simply put up a "regular" Wreath, everything would have been fine.
As far as HOA's go, we see nothing really wrong with them. They keep the housing developements clean and respectable looking. Bottom line is: if you don't like HOA's, just don't buy a house where an HOA has control over the property. It is that simple!!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
So what happens when the Jewish or Athiest neighbor gets mad because someone put up a Nativity scene? To me, who cares? It's a wreath with a peace sign. I too say that if they try to stop her from this then they might as well ban all holiday decorations period. So what if she knew that the peace sign on her wreath would get up some peoples craw. What if she goes to them because yellow ribbons tied around trees are offensive? A person that does not believe in Christmas or the birth of Christ might be offended by the other decorations so if I were on that HOA board I would not have even considered saying one thing to her. Let it be. It could get worse or even uglier. FYI, I live in an HOA, lived in three total and been the President of one. I would NEVER say anything to anyone about what was on their wreath unless it was obscene. This is truly one that someone that is in "control" (control by being on a board of an HOA - hahahahaha) is feeling the need to push their weight all because they don't believe in one persons political views.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Let's see if this link will go thru? It is a picture of the "offending" wreath. Good grief. It's not like it is painted in rainbow colors or spray painted on her house. So what if they have a wreath w/ the peace sign in the middle. If the HOA wins this one sorry to say they better as heck ban ALL holiday decorations and any kind of yard art for ANY season.

http://durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_p ath=/news/06/news061126_2.htm (broken link)

Old 11-27-2006, 09:18 PM

When an HOA takes care of a housing developement, one of the responsibilities of the HOA is to "monitor" what people do. If a home owner does something that other home owners don't like (and they voice that dislike), it is up to the HOA to resolve the situation. From what I have read about this Wreath, it can mean different things to different people. The HOA has every right to say "take it down or get a fine" if the Wreath offends any other home owners. What I want to know is, why do we have to bring "political statements" into the Christmas season in the first place????? Christmas is suppose to be about the Birth of Christ.......isn't it??? The decorations/gifts are just added in. We all want "Peace On Earth", but in reality, will that ever happen? Not as long as countries have different religious and political beliefs.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
The way I look at this is that humans brought the political view into this themselves. It's a wreath and from the way I was brought up the shape of the wreath stands for peace and peace is something I've always associated with Christmas "peace and goodwill to man".

What happens if someone of the Jewish or Jehovah's Witness faiths were to be offended by Christmas decorations? Does that mean the HOA steps in to make everyone happy?

My view as a realist, if I don't like it, I don't look... no big deal

The irony? She wanted to get a message out that a few folks didn't care for and now it's been viewed nationwide

Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
When an HOA takes care of a housing developement, one of the responsibilities of the HOA is to "monitor" what people do. If a home owner does something that other home owners don't like (and they voice that dislike), it is up to the HOA to resolve the situation. From what I have read about this Wreath, it can mean different things to different people. The HOA has every right to say "take it down or get a fine" if the Wreath offends any other home owners. What I want to know is, why do we have to bring "political statements" into the Christmas season in the first place????? Christmas is suppose to be about the Birth of Christ.......isn't it??? The decorations/gifts are just added in. We all want "Peace On Earth", but in reality, will that ever happen? Not as long as countries have different religious and political beliefs.
The HOA is suppose to care for the common ground and write policy when needed. If an HOA writes a policy everytime a few homeowners don't like something--look out!
Maybe it was meant as a political statement--maybe not. Christmas is about "peace on earth, goodwill toward men"--isn't it?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 AM

Then.......let her pay the daily fine and leave it up! I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics