Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 02:35 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's time again for your Wednesday Qs. Get your favorite morning beverage, settle in, and exercise your brain. Just a bit.

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? Anymore I typically prefer ordering online for many items.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live in a noisy area, such as near:
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? No to all. Live in the mountains in Shenandoah Valley. I might hear the cows mooing nearby or a Coyote.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair: Barbershop-Flattop.
you?
a friend/relative in-home?
someone at an independent shop/salon?
someone at a chain shop/salon?
someone else?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1905 Maggie Kuhn,US Gray Panther (d. April 22, 1995)
Entertainment: 1963 Beatles final performance at Cavern Club in Liverpool
Science/Technology: 1596 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star)
Sports: 1921 Due to a technicality, 8 Chicago White Sox accused in Black Sox scandal are acquited, however Landis throws them out of baseball.

Today’s Word:
exonerate
Pronunciation: (ig-ZON-uh-rayt)
Meaning: verb tr.: 1. To free from blame. 2. To release from a task or obligation.
Etymology: From Latin ex- (from) + onus (burden), which also gave English onus and onerous.
Earliest documented use: 1524.

Today is:
Friendship Day
Grab Some Nuts Day
Watermelon Day
(First Wednesday)
International Albarino Day

Quote of the Day:
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. " ~ Maggie Kuhn ~

Have a good day everyone!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 03:15 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)?

I don't buy a whole lot online.
Mostly occasional music CD's that I'm not going to find anywhere else. Other sort of hard to get items as well that are much easier bought online.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?
- It's not noisy here despite there being a lot of apartments. The occasional car horns outside are rude and annoying but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a noise problem.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
- This. Same lady for the last 25+ years.
someone else?

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:24 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Mornin' all!

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's time again for your Wednesday Qs. Get your favorite morning beverage, settle in, and exercise your brain. Just a bit.

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)?
I prefer to go to stores and shops because I'm hard to fit but here recently I have ordered most everything on-line just for the convenience.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?
I live in a rural area so it's pretty quiet thankfully

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you? I do cut my own bangs
someone else?

Today in History:
Science/Technology: 1596 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star)
Sports: 1921 Due to a technicality, 8 Chicago White Sox accused in Black Sox scandal are acquited, however Landis throws them out of baseball.

Today’s Word:
exonerate
Meaning: verb tr.: 1. To free from blame. 2. To release from a task or obligation.
Etymology: From Latin ex- (from) + onus (burden), which also gave English onus and onerous.

Today is:
Friendship Day
Grab Some Nuts Day
Watermelon Day
(First Wednesday)

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PC!

Old 08-03-2016, 05:01 AM

126,273 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? I prefer to pick my own merchandise just to see the real thing and feel it and to check the quality.Maybe even to compare with another product

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? It is quite peaceful out here

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you? Yes I trim my own hair
someone else?

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
exonerate

Today is:
Friendship Day
Grab Some Nuts Day
Watermelon Day
(First Wednesday)

Quote of the Day:
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. " ~ Maggie Kuhn ~ Great quote

Thank you PatsCats

Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,848 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? Prefer to go to shops for clothes, so I can try things on; check quality. I can't remember the last time I ordered clothes for myself online. I do often get things for the kids online through zulily because of the prices. I order books online, though love bookstores too. I've been tracking a package that's supposed to come today. It's a battery for my grandson's power wheels jeep.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks? There are tracks about two miles away, but only occasionally do I hear the train whistle. I like hearing the whistle.
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? Neighbor's roosters and guinea hens, at times. Usually it's very quiet and there at times I get annoyed with the noise the fridge makes, because it disturbs the silence.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
a friend/relative in-home? Daughter
someone else?

Today’s Word:
exonerate

Quote of the Day:

Have a good day everyone! Thanks!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:12 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,481,324 times
B]Mornin' all! [/b]

Today's Question(s):
I like to go shopping and pick out stuff myself. This way I see what I'm buying up close.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live in a noisy area, such as near: not too near but I can hear:
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? busy highway

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone else?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:47 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? I'd rather go out and buy it to have a chance to get out of the house. Plus you get to use what you buy then instead of having to wait 5-7 business days.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? I live within 4 blocks of 3 different schools. The most noise we have around here is the school busses headed in each direction.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone at an independent shop/salon? Sometimes
someone at a chain shop/salon? Sometimes
someone else?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:50 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Today's Question(s):

I've been ordering just about everything except groceries online now. I hate shopping. It has been 10 years since I've been to a mall. No catalogues, though.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Do not live in a noisy area.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:

Old 08-03-2016, 06:58 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Beer and pork rinds breakfast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Good morning, Pat and the cats and everyone. It's a good day.

Yayyy...but you are forgetting to mention food! We all need our food! lol....get your food ready because it is Wednesday and Pat and the cats are here to give us our morning routine!

Today's Question(s):

Not anymore! Nowadays I can stay home, save time, save gas, save risking my life on the roadways by shopping online...with a mind-blowing selection right at my fingertips! I buy everything online...except for the groceries! I love it!

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Way too noisy for me...though none of the above are very nearby. I live at an intersection so I hear the dummies driving and sometimes having both accidents and near-accidents. Loud motorcycles, loud rap-garbage...even gunfire at times. (Yes, there have been deaths from the gunfire outside my home.)

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone else?

Nobody anymore. My great barber died in the last couple of months so I cannot get a haircut anymore.

Today in History:
Sports: 1921 Due to a technicality, 8 Chicago White Sox accused in Black Sox scandal are acquited, however Landis throws them out of baseball. How can people say negative things about golf when baseball exists?

Today’s Word:
exonerate

Today is:
Friendship Day cue Mr. Rogers or is it queue?
Grab Some Nuts Day (first need for a rainbow icon!)
Watermelon Day I LOVE watermelon!
(First Wednesday) not bloody likely!

Quote of the Day:
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. " ~ Maggie Kuhn ~ right on, Maggie...Maggie is such a nice name.

Aye....you, too, Pat and catsies! Tons of love and happy wishies to you all!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:23 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? At the store. Why (for either shopping or ordering)? I think it's important to support the businesses in the community and keep people working locally whenever possible.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport? <--a few miles away from a small airport but most of the time it's not noisy
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone at an independent shop/salon? <--A local barber shop
someone else?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics