Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:43 AM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,485 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? For most things I prefer going to the store. Books (we no longer have a bookstore here) and CDs I order online.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live in a noisy area, such as near:
railroad tracks? I live a few miles from the railroad tracks. Sometimes at night I can hear the train horns.
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? It's fairly quiet here

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
a friend/relative in-home?
someone at an independent shop/salon? This one. I make her salsa, she cuts my hair in exchange.
someone at a chain shop/salon?
someone else?

Thanks, PatsCats. Happy Wednesday to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)?

I don't like to shop! the stores are crammed with stuff. Online I can take my time

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

^^ None!!

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone at an independent shop/salon?
someone else?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? For almost everything I buy, I prefer to shop online because it saves time and gas.

railroad tracks?
an airport -- a small one used by smaller planes and helicopters.
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone else?

Thanks PC and happy day everyone!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:15 AM

903 posts, read 583,423 times
Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's time again for your Wednesday Qs. Get your favorite morning beverage, settle in, and exercise your brain. Just a bit.
[Bonus answer - play a game called Hidato to help exercise my brain :O) ]

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)?
It depends on the store. A look outlet mall is usually crazy, full of people. For those stores, I prefer online. But love browsing stores like Kirklands and Homegoods.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live in a noisy area, such as near: Not really
railroad tracks? Can hear in the early morning. About 1.5 miles away as the crow flies.
an airport? About a 30-minute drive one way, and an AFB is about 25-minutes the other way. I have noticed the plans seem to be flying lower of late.
a factory? About the same distance away as the train. It is a brick making factory.
a truck stop? None, near by
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you? My beautiful and talented wife.

Today is:
Friendship Day
Grab Some Nuts Day - deez nuts
Watermelon Day - have been enjoying watermelon water.

Quote of the Day:
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. " ~ Maggie Kuhn ~
Great quote!!!

Have a good day everyone!

And you, too.
cd :O)

Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,610 times
Today's Question(s):
I'd rather go and see what I'm buying first. I do buy online quite often too, there are some good deals on Amazon and Ebay.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks? The nearest ones are for the Light Rail, about 2.5 miles away. Too far to hear.
an airport? Hear them all the time. I live extremely close to BWI airport. You don't really notice the airplane noises after you've heard them all your life.
a factory? None of them anywhere near where I live.
a truck stop? None of them are that close to where I live. Most are a lot closer to either I-95 or I-70.
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone at an independent shop/salon? This one. Had it last done about a month ago. He took over running the shop from the old owner, who retired. He's good at cutting hair, but unlike the previous owner, he can't seem to cut and talk at the same time.
someone else?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
oday's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? I like shopping at my own pace, without crowds. I also like browsing through catalogs, though I rarely buy anything from them. Also, since I've lived in small towns for many years, shopping is limited. I do try to support local stores, though, and shop for Christmas presents and such locally.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? I live on a farm. It's mostly quiet but can be VERY noisy when the corn bins are drying corn, or when the big semis are picking up hay bales.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you? I haven't gotten my hair cut since November, 2012. Really! I wear it in a french bun most of the time.
someone else?

Science/Technology: 1596 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star) My old dog's name was Mira - boy do I miss her! It was fascinating how many people have never heard of that name here in the Midwest - I kept having to explain to people that it's a real name that's pretty common in some countries. Eventually I gave up and just started telling people: "You know, like the first letters of the word 'miracle'." Mira was a good girl - a golden retriever who was a rescue. She was 13 when she crossed the bridge. Sniff!

Thanks, Pat! Today's another hot, humid scorcher here. Fortunately I have popsicles!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:52 AM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Today's Question(s):
Depends on what it is. Groceries and outer wear clothing no. One exception is I sometimes order smoked bacon and ham from a place some distance from me. Appliances, furniture, computers etc. it's time to go to the store.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks? only hear a horn when the air is dead still.
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?our street gets pretty busy during the morning and evening rush hours so it gets kinda noises at those times.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone else?

Thanx PatsCats

Last edited by motormaker; 08-03-2016 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Fix a boo,boo.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Today's Question(s):

Going to shop!

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks? Yes they are a stones throw + a highway on the other side!
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair: No one, Its in dreadlocks, so i dont.
you? No one cuts me, id be worried if they came at me with scissors.
someone at an independent shop/salon? Im sure they do cut others hair.
someone at a chain shop/salon? a chain saw from a chain shop would certainly get the job done!
someone else? I dont cut others, its just not polite!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:30 PM

576 posts, read 422,160 times
For clothes and food yes but or everything else I prefer going online its just very convenient and there is a much larger selection of everything

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live in a noisy area, such as near: not really there are a lot of green areas and parks near where I live so its usually fairly quite
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you? Yes I do I completely shave my head so I don't need any help from a barber
someone else?

Thanks for the questions PatsCats hope you're all having a good week so far

Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
[quote=PatsCats;44994677]Mornin' all!

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's time again for your Wednesday Qs. Get your favorite morning beverage, settle in, and exercise your brain. Just a bit.

Today's Question(s):

I think I'd prefer going to the store because you can see exactly what you're getting. Over the internet, not so much.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?<-----------One block over but that makes our property even more desirable for the commuters.
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone at an independent shop/salon?<---------------
someone else?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1905 Maggie Kuhn,US Gray Panther (d. April 22, 1995)
Entertainment: 1963 Beatles final performance at Cavern Club in Liverpool
Science/Technology: 1596 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star)
Sports: 1921 Due to a technicality, 8 Chicago White Sox accused in Black Sox scandal are acquited, however Landis throws them out of baseball.

Today’s Word:
exonerate
Pronunciation: (ig-ZON-uh-rayt)
Meaning: verb tr.: 1. To free from blame. 2. To release from a task or obligation.
Etymology: From Latin ex- (from) + onus (burden), which also gave English onus and onerous.
Earliest documented use: 1524.

Today is:
Friendship Day Aww Lucille is coming with us to the movies today
Grab Some Nuts Day
Watermelon Day
(First Wednesday)
International Albarino Day

Quote of the Day:
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. " ~ Maggie Kuhn ~

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks Pat you too dear one.

I just want to go back to bed. I talked to lonely guy on the corner until 3am and hadn't rode my bike yet. I was only going to do half an hour but at 445am I decided I had better head for home and get some sleep. I fell asleep at 6am and up at noon. I feel like I worked a night shift. Oh but what a ride . Lucille will be here soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics