U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:37 AM

41,923 posts, read 16,678,786 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
What are some good places to walk for exercise? My neighborhood is a great place to walk, as is the downtown area of my city. We also have lots of parks with trails in my city and county. Almost all are free to enter.

Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore? I go a few times a year, usually just to one or two stores; one in particular carries the brand of cosmetics I use.

Tell us anything that happened in a mall: They finally removed the giant carousel in the center of our local mall. It was huge, but rarely had more than just a handful of kids on it. It turned out to be a big waste of money. I was glad to see it be replaced by more seating and some nice artwork, some of it interactive.

Have you been to a mall that has fountains in it? Yes, several. Our local mall had fountains when it was first built in the early 1970s.

Do you have a favorite decorative public fountain anywhere? Yes. There are lots and lots of beautiful fountains in Kansas City, MO. Here are a couple of small details of my favorite one.

How about any favorite typeface fonts? I like Comic Sans, Century Gothic (which I'm using right now) and Arial.

Foodie Questions:
What foods and drinks do you like to see for sale at a mall food court? Oh gee, I don't know. Big soft pretzels, I guess. I don't visit malls often and if I eat in a mall, I eat in a restaurant and not at the food court.

Extra:
Have you ever planned a funeral? Yes.

Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals? Prepaid? No.

Just for fun:
In your opinion why DID the chicken cross the road? Because he had the "WALK" signal.

Today’s Word:
font 1 [font] noun
1.a receptacle, usually of stone containing water, ex. used in baptism
2.a productive source, ex. He/she is a font of criticism, or wisdom, or ideas.
3.the reservoir for oil in a lamp
5.Archaic. a fountain
Origin - Middle English > Old English > Latin for spring or fountain
-
font 2 [font] noun
Printing. a complete assortment of type of one style and size
Origin - Middle French > Latin, a pouring, molding, casting, from Latin "fundere" to pour, akin to foundry

Today Includes:
Mountain Day (Japan) Hooray for mountains!
Raspberry Tart Day Sounds yummy. I'd like mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, please.

This Week Includes:
Elvis Week
Farmers' Market Week
Stop on Red Week Please do!

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-11-2016 at 08:56 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 08:51 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,693,707 times
[quote=bjh;45087404]We're supposed to get rain this weekend. So batten down the hatches, but first here are . . .

We haven't had rain for three months, our next rain will probably come near the end of September and it won't amount to a hill of spit though.

Today's Questions:
What are some good places to walk for exercise? Along the cliffs above the ocean...there is a path to the next town. I settle for walking in the streets of the ritizier neighborhood near me because the streets are heavily planted with flowers, bushes and trees.

Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore? Not for years.

Tell us anything that happened in a mall: It burned down.

Have you been to a mall that has fountains in it? No, but I stayed in a motel in Holland that had a fountain and looked like a mall.

Do you have a favorite decorative public fountain anywhere? No, but I like a brook once...it was called Pollywog Pond, but it wasn't a pond at all but a flowing brook.

How about any favorite typeface fonts?
--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typeface

Times New Roman...pretty run of the mill, but easy on the eyes.

Foodie Questions:
What foods and drinks do you like to see for sale at a mall food court?

I was never in a mall food court until 2009 outside of Santa Fe. It was near the rear entrance to the mall where I would catch the bus, and I sat on a chair in the court looking at the different places, trying to decide. What happened was that the odors of the different shops all combined to make one greasy stench, so I left and sat outside. Then I ate at home.

Extra:
Have you ever planned a funeral? Three

Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals? My own. It was a cheapo cremation, not something that funeral parlors are keen on. I was handed a catalog to choose my urn, and I handed it back and said I did not want an urn. I wanted my ashes in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box....who the flip needs an urn when the ashes are going to be scattered. I got handed the catalog back and told that I had to have an urn. We then had a lot of testiness over urn/no urn. Finally, I agreed to compromise, and I said I wanted my ashes in a plastic bag in a cardboard box, but they could make the box big enough to stick an urn into as well. I got a look like I should already be dead.

Just for fun:
In your opinion why DID the chicken cross the road?

I think this story is a complete fabrication on the part of some indecisive person who could never make up his mind where he was at. And it causes a big squawk amongst chicken community. The chicken in question never crossed the road! She knew which side of the road she was on in the first place, and had no need to be fancy-pantings through traffic to the other side. Chickens dismiss this story with the same contempt as Native Americans do the one about Columbus "discovering" the Americas.

Today in History:

1937 Edith Wharton, American author of The Age of Innocence and other books, died in France at age 75

Today's Quote:
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
~ Edith Wharton, American author

Yes, yes, all very pretty, but what did she have to say about the chicken crossing the road? Did she have a handle on that one?

This Week Includes:
Elvis Week
Farmers' Market Week
Stop on Red Week - more insidious Commie stuff from the Fifties. Will we never escape the Commies!?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:20 AM

6,335 posts, read 5,988,826 times
Today's Questions:
What are some good places to walk for exercise? A rails to trails bike/walking trail. A dirt road. My woods if the raccoons don't jump out and bite my ankles. In frigid NE Mn where I used to live residents were allowed to walk the halls/stairs at the schools after the school day was over. In those old buildings those stairs were BRUTAL!

Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore? Not for years and years and years and years.

Tell us anything that happened in a mall: When I was in Jr. High the new mall was built in our town and it was such a joy for us young teen girls to go and browse and buy exotic little things!

Have you been to a mall that has fountains in it? Yeppers

Do you have a favorite decorative public fountain anywhere? Where I grew up a thousand years ago there is beautiful Showalter Fountain. It was designed in the late 1950s and finally installed in 1961, and my family was there for the dedication. No one made a peep about it being a nekkid lady back then, as the uglyminded fundamentalists who like to make everything beautiful ugly would today.

How about any favorite typeface fonts? I've always liked Bradley Hand, and used it on lots of flyers and brochures.

Foodie Questions:
What foods and drinks do you like to see for sale at a mall food court? Let's hope they have a vegetarian option.

Extra:
Have you ever planned a funeral? No

Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals? I've thought about pre-arranging my own cremation, but that would pretty much lock me in to where I live, and it makes me itchy to think about committing to being in one place until I die. It probably is time to do it, though.

Just for fun:
In your opinion why DID the chicken cross the road? To peck my ankles.

Thanks, Beej!

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 08-11-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 09:48 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,074,969 times
Today's Questions:
What are some good places to walk for exercise?
We have a hiker/biker trail not too far from where I live. Just up the street from me is a big open field where people play sports, mostly youth leagues, although two old-time adult baseball team also play there.
Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore?
Yes, quite a bit.
Tell us anything that happened in a mall:
Seeing the mindless zombies walk around Arundel Mills playing Pokemon Go.

Also the smell that used to be in one area. Combine the food smells from the food court, the smells escaping from a Bath & Body Works, the smells from a perfume kiosk, and a guy who worked at another kiosk that vaped all day long, and you had a stink bomb in that area.

Have you been to a mall that has fountains in it?
Yes, the mall in Annapolis has a huge fountain.
Do you have a favorite decorative public fountain anywhere?
The one in downtown Baltimore looked nice when it was working, it isn't currently, and hasn't been for a number of years. I heard last week on the news they are going to tear it down and replace it with a park.

Another favorite is the one at the Glen Burnie town center. Despite the fact that the deepest part can't hold more than about 2 inches, they still felt the need to post a sign saying "NO SWIMMING".

None in particular.

Foodie Questions:
If I'm hungry and they have a Chic-Fil-A, I'll just go there.

Extra:
Have you ever planned a funeral?
No
Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals?
No

Just for fun:
The grass was greener on the other side.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 AM

32,243 posts, read 3,025,158 times
Today's Questions:
State Park trails or other trails where I don't have to deal with motorized vehicles.
My son's property is fun to walk with my grandsons, but that's at a slower pace.
Oh, I loved the Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island when I lived there.

Not very often since I live nowhere near a mall at the moment. That's okay though, I've never cared for malls anyway.

Tell us anything that happened in a mall.
I worked at the first McDonald's in a mall when I was a teenager. I just spent way too much time searching the internet to back up my claim that it was the first one in a mall. All I did was prove that a person can't find everything on the internet.

Anyway, the mall was Lincoln Mall in Matteson IL which opened in 1973 and is now closed as of 2015. It was Ray Kroc himself who told us it was the first McDonald's to open in a mall and that it was a birthday gift to his wife.

We took his word for it... he was Ray Kroc, after all.

Yes, several.

Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park, Chicago is a favorite. It is one of the largest fountains in the world and because I was raised in the Chicago area I have been there many times. Another Chicago fountain that is really cool is a newer one in Millennium Park called the Crown Fountain. Seriously, it is cool!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_Fountain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Fountain

Foodie Questions:
Authentic Gyros

Just for fun:
To show the other critters it could be done.

Extra:
Yes, my father's funeral in 1982 when I was 25 and he was 44.

Not in writing, but I guess I should get on that soon.

Thanks and good day, everyone!

Last edited by geebabe; 08-11-2016 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: to fix link...

Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 AM

24,147 posts, read 24,510,585 times
We're supposed to get rain this weekend. So batten down the hatches, but first here are . . .
I have a cork in my funnel... I am ready

Today's Questions:
What are some good places to walk for exercise? many trails to hike.
Frozen Head State Park — Tennessee State Parks

Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore? No....

Tell us anything that happened in a mall: Way back in the 70's up north.. Santa fell off his chair.. and had to be carry out on a gurney in front of all the little kids... now those kids spend money for therapy and never go to the mall.. It's a Mall -A-Phobia or MAP

Have you been to a mall that has fountains in it? Not fountains.. but tipping birds. Remember those tipping birds at the bar.. that drank from the shot glass.. Now think 6-7 foot tall tipping birds..

Do you have a favorite decorative public fountain anywhere? Me and my hose.. in the garden

Foodie Questions:
What foods and drinks do you like to see for sale at a mall food court? Hot Dogs & Orange Julius slushy style..

Extra:
Have you ever planned a funeral? Yes ... Me

Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals? as above.. heading to the recycling plant. Some day I could be a refrigerator or a can of peas..

Just for fun:
In your opinion why DID the chicken cross the road? ... Because Chicken Little was saying the " Sky is Falling.. so crossing the road was obvious to seek shelter under the mail box.. Like back in the 50's we went under are desk and put are hands on are heads.. This way when the 200 ton building feel down we would not get hurt.. teacher said so ...

Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,478,840 times
Today's Questions:
What are some good places to walk for exercise? I prefer nature trails and boardwalks to go walking.

Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore? Haven't stepped foot in a mall in many many years.

Tell us anything that happened in a mall: Back in the early 90's, we were at a mall and a young boy was playing on an escalator and flipped over the side. He wasn't hurt. More embarrassed than anything.

Have you been to a mall that has fountains in it? Yes and I remember one time my sister fell in one of the fountains. Good times.

Do you have a favorite decorative public fountain anywhere? In Tucson AZ there use to be a HUGE fountain outside of a Bank of America building. It was torn down after kids vandalized it by pouring gel into it and ruining it.

How about any favorite typeface fonts? Never thought about it.

Foodie Questions:
What foods and drinks do you like to see for sale at a mall food court? Seeing as I don't go into malls, I don't really care all that much.

Extra:
Have you ever planned a funeral? No, but being an ordained minister I can perform last rights.

Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals? Nope.

Just for fun:
In your opinion why DID the chicken cross the road? To get as far away from Chik Fil A as possible.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:33 AM

738 posts, read 409,506 times
Today's Questions:
The Park, around town, the hills - just about anywhere.

Not often, but my daughter for her birthday, wants to go on Sunday. Pray for me.

Well, I have a very scary recollection of almost being grabbed by a stranger when I was really young. I rented my junior ball/senior prom tuxes from a place at the mall. And I got my wife's wedding ring from a store at the mall, 25-years ago next April.

Yes

Can't really think of a favorite, but have admired many over the years.

I use Verdana a lot for emails and such. I've never really understood my Comic Sans is so hated. I've used Lord or the Rings and OO7 for special occasions and other creative fonts.

Foodie Questions:
Before my vegan days, Hot Dogs and Lemonade. Also Cinnabons.

Extra:
No

No

Just for fun:
The food on his side was getting scarce so ventured across to look for more.

Today's Quote:
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
~ Edith Wharton, American author

Great Quote.

Today's Stately Picture:
Kansas. Sunrise near Riley, Kansas. So bright need some shades.

Beautiful

Wishing you a Thursday so perfect it looks photoshopped!

Thank you. Testing a new pair of trail shoes tonight.
cd :O)

Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM

35,979 posts, read 36,057,875 times
Today's Questions:

I have friends on Long Island who used to (1970s) walk from their home to Carvel (ice cream) every night for exercise. True story. Around here people like to walk on a paved path around the lake's edge. It's called a blueway. We also have paved and unpaved walking paths in other town parks called greenways.

Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore? Nope. Has been at least 10 years.

This from Canada in 2010. Mimicked but never bested - 48,468,033 views:''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

Then there was the Westgate Mall terrorist attack in Nairobi by al-Shabob that left 67 people dead in 2013.

Other than that, I got nuthin'.

Have you been to a mall that has fountains in it? yes

Not really...well, any ice cream fountain.

How about any favorite typeface fonts? Arial 12pt for regular stuff.

Foodie Questions:

Hot dogs. Orange Julius. From the old days when I actually went to malls.

Extra:
no

Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals? no

Just for fun:

Because a government program paid a big donor a gazillion dollars to build one in the middle of nowhere for the free rangers.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM

33,038 posts, read 13,845,175 times
Today's Questions:
What are some good places to walk for exercise? We have 2 pretty nice trails, or through the vineyard or around my property.

Some people walk at malls. Do you ever go to the mall anymore? Hardly ever, went when the girls were here, great grandpa bought Olivia a bunch of school stuff

Tell us anything that happened in a mall: Watching the mall walkers!

Do you have a favorite decorative public fountain anywhere? No

Foodie Questions:
What foods and drinks do you like to see for sale at a mall food court? We usually get Sbarro!

Extra:
Have you ever planned a funeral? Helped with my moms, private, and cremation

Have you pre-planned and pre-paid any funerals? Helped Dad with his So expensive.

Just for fun:
In your opinion why DID the chicken cross the road? To get hit by a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics