Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not? I think these are nice and warm, but have been very made fun of for them being out of style. I also don't like stuff around my neck. So, meh.

Have you ever taken a road trip on two lane highways instead of the interstate? As much as possible.
-If so, can you give an example of where to where? That would take pages and pages and pages of answers. I hate interstates. Lately I've been going to Sioux City by crossing the Missouri and taking the back roads of Northeastern Nebraska, because I29 in the area is ALWAYS under construction and too scary for my boonie brain nowadays.

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug? Don't think so. I do like doing storytelling, though - maybe one of the few things I'm good at. Have done it before fairly large audiences - maybe nearly 100?
Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market? Yep. I WAY prefer auctions, though.

If so, indoors or outdoors or both?

Did you buy anything? sometimes

Did you eat anything?

Foodie Questions:
Do you recognize/have you had:
-Frito pie? Texas
-Walking taco? ? What's the difference between a regular taco and a walking one?????
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie? Yes, it's a local specialty on the Iron Range of Minnesota where I used to live and where people are iron miners and many have a Cornish heritage.

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for? Last year when I moved here I went to the county fair and saw "stadiums" on offer. I had no clue in the world what a "stadium" was, and had to ask. Now I see them listed everywhere at local informal dining venues like auctions and festivals. Do any of you know what a "stadium" is?
Spoiler
It's pretty much like a submarine or hoagy or similar - meats and veggies on a bun

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic:Can't think of anything specific, but the university students are TERRIBLE drivers, you really have to watch out for them. Well, they're in that awful 18 - 22 age range, most of them.

Thanks for the Questions! Hope everyone's Autumn is as beautiful as ours is here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:41 PM

38,893 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not? They must not be in style because I haven't seen any in quite some time.

Have you ever taken a road trip on two lane highways instead of the interstate? I think so.
-If so, can you give an example of where to where? From L.A. to Sacramento many years ago.

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug? 2 of my nieces are very involved in the local community theater. The older one played Dorothy in Wizard of Oz almost 2 years ago.

Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market? Yes, but out here I think they're called swap meets.

If so, indoors or outdoors or both? I've been to both.

Did you buy anything? I did.

Did you eat anything? Of course.

Foodie Questions:
-Frito pie?
-Walking taco?
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie? <--Just this one. There's a shop near me that makes and sells them.

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for? In-N-Out Burger.

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: That happened on my way home from work today. I saw a driver cross 2 lanes of traffic just so he/she could pull into the driveway of a nearby store.

Enjoy your Friday Eve (Thursday).

Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Good Morning

Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not? They keep me warm in the Winter and hide my "older neck"

Have you ever taken a road trip on two lane highways instead of the interstate?
-If so, can you give an example of where to where? Many times, most memorable driving somewhere on my way to Cody, WY--it was very late, snow was falling like crazy and I was scared I was going to slip off the road never to be noticed for a long time.

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug?

Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market? Yes, it was itchy

Did you buy anything?

Did you eat anything?

Foodie Questions:
-Frito pie?
-Walking taco?
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie?

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for? Crab cakes

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: Every week I see something dumb!

Today Includes:
Cliché Day
Sandwich Day
Stout Day

This Week Includes:
Communication Week
Fig Week

November Includes:
Adopt A Senior Pet Month
Aviation History Month
Banana Pudding Lovers Month
Pomegranate Month
Sponge Month

Wishing you a happy day!

Old 11-03-2016, 03:36 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
if it keeps you warm...
yes, up the mountain
nope

yes
both
nope
yes

none of those
?

did not yield to approaching emergency vehicle with siren and lights flashing

Old 11-03-2016, 04:08 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not? Nope. all the nopes. They are so uncomfortable.

-If so, can you give an example of where to where? In Arizona all the time

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug? I've been in two movies, one commercial and many plays.

Have you ever been to a flea market? I go to one often.

If so, indoors or outdoors or both? outdoor

Did you buy anything? sometimes. Usually I am just there to browse

Did you eat anything? never

Foodie Questions:
-Frito pie? no
-Walking taco? from highschool
-Pudgy pie? no
-Cornish pastie? no

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for? Goodness here in the south I have no clue.

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: Someone drove down a one way road and realized they couldn't just do a U turn, so they drove in reverse all the way back to a turn off. I also hate when people drive up to gas station pumps backwards just to get the pump on the side of the gas tank.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:28 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not?
Nope on turtlenecks but I do have a couple mock turtlenecks which have a shorter and less bulky neck.

-If so, can you give an example of where to where?
I remember driving on 2 lane highways all the way from Rochester, MN to Mankato, MN where I went to school - that's about 80-90 miles. So happy when the interstate went in. Also, drove to NC from MN and used Mapquest instructions - well - the highway/interstate wasn't complete and just stopped and led me to a 2 lane back country curvy road - not even a highway. I had no idea where I was, if I somehow missed a turn or where I'd end up. Now and then I'd see a highway/road sign that gave the correct road # but I knew this wasn't right. Lots of shacks that looked to be vacated but who knows. I was just glad it was daytime. Eventually it came out to another highway that I jumped on and stopped at the first truck stop and got a PAPER map. Sure do love those paper maps.

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug? No
Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market?
Yes

Outdoors

Did you buy anything?
Yes

Did you eat anything?
No

Foodie Questions:
-Frito pie?
-Walking taco?
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie?

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for?
Not really

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: Too many to pick out one
November Includes:
Adopt A Senior Pet Month YES!!!!
Aviation History Month
Banana Pudding Lovers Month YES!!!
Pomegranate Month
Sponge Month

Today's Stately Picture:
Nevada. Sunlight shines on cactus at Basin and Range National Monument.

Gorgeous pic

Old 11-03-2016, 05:00 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,991 times
Halloween is over. It was skeery. Let's recover with . . .

Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not? Used to wear turtlenecks, no longer. They were warm.

-If so, can you give an example of where to where? Often wander on two lane highways and more often on dirt roads not as wide.

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug? Only as a kid at summer camp.

Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market? Have

Did you buy anything? Little things, nothing I needed.

Did you eat anything? Didn't

Foodie Questions:
Do you recognize/have you had: Nothing listed here.
-Frito pie?
-Walking taco?
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie?

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for? Don't believe Vermont is known for any particular sandwich. Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: Always amazes me when a guy in a truck will risk causing an accident just to get one car ahead.

Today's Quote:
"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."
~ Lao Tzu, ancient Chinese philosopher

Today’s Word:
nib [nib] noun
1.the point of a pen
2.a point of anything, ex. a cutting tool with a diamond nib

Today's Stately Picture:

Bureau of Land Management, US government photo in the public domain

Here's hoping your Thursday doesn't blow! Oh, I hope so too!

Old 11-03-2016, 05:21 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times

Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not? I always wear them once it gets cold

Have you ever taken a road trip on two lane highways instead of the interstate? Crowsnest Highway from Hope/BC through Osoyoos, Castlegar, Cranbrook to Crowsnest Pass on the BC/Alberta border
-If so, can you give an example of where to where? see above

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug? Nope

Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market? Yrs a few times

If so, indoors or outdoors or both? Both
Did you buy anything?

Did you eat anything? Nope

Foodie Questions:
-Frito pie?
-Walking taco?
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie?

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for?

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: I do not know where to begin

Today in History:
1817 The Bank of Montreal, Canada's oldest chartered bank, opened in Montreal
1838 The Times of India, world's largest circulated English language daily broadsheet newspaper founded in Bombay
1911 Chevrolet officially entered the automobile market in competition with Ford
1918 Poland declared its independence from Russia
1964 Washington D.C. residents able to vote in a presidential election for the first time
1973 NASA launched the Mariner 10 toward Mercury; March 29, 1974, it became 1st space probe to reach that planet

Today's Quote:
"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."...beautiful

Today’s Word:
nib [nib] noun
1.the point of a pen
2.a point of anything, ex. a cutting tool with a diamond nib

Today Includes:
Cliché Day
Sandwich Day
Stout Day

This Week Includes:
Communication Week
Fig Week

November Includes:
Adopt A Senior Pet Month
Aviation History Month
Banana Pudding Lovers Month
Pomegranate Month
Sponge Month

Today's Stately Picture:
Nevada. Sunlight shines on cactus at Basin and Range National Monument. Looks peaceful

Here's hoping your Thursday doesn't blow!

Thank you bjh

Old 11-03-2016, 05:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
[quote=bjh;46044471]
Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not?

I like the look and can remember that I had one in the distant past that I really liked wearing, and it may hold the clue to why I do not like to wear them now. They catch and pull on my neck hairs - I do not have a beard, but I do have to shave fairly far down on my neck now and there is a fair amount of hair there. The turtle necks catch and pull on the stubble as it grows out and I am always yanking and pulling at the neck of turtle necks. The one I had in the past that I liked and wore often I recall did not have a close fitting neck, so it did not catch and pull.

-If so, can you give an example of where to where?

Two road trips in a "circle" around Ireland in the 1960's, and many of the roads back then were 1 and half lane country byways. And a much later trip in Portugal from the east to the west of the southern most province. Lots of narrow roads with reckless traffic.

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug?

Well, none that actually do it on a stage.

Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market? Yes

If so, indoors or outdoors or both? Outdoors

Did you buy anything? Not that I recall

Did you eat anything? Yes

Foodie Questions:
-Frito pie?
-Walking taco?
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie? Only this. I know a Cornish woman who is the wife of a friend, and I get a pastie now and then.

I can't think of a one...everything seems to be sit-down food.

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: Every day I see people in rotaries (traffic circles) who have not turned off their turn signal after they enter a small circle, which gives the impression that they are going to turn off at the very next exit and that you can therefore safely enter even though they are oncoming. But - no - they are not turning off, they have just left their turn signal on...very dangerous mistake. And if you enter they will broadside you.

Today in History:

1964 Washington D.C. residents able to vote in a presidential election for the first time.

I never understood how and why they could have been kept out for so long.

Today's Quote:
"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."

The point of much of Lao Tzu's writing is on the order of - shut your mouth and don't be in such a yank; and it appears to have been pointed especially at aspiring officials and rulers.

November Includes:

Sponge Month I think this is about my speed for November.

Today's Stately Picture:

Another great photo.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:22 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,215 times

Today's Questions:
Turtleneck sweaters, why or why not? i used to wear some when i was still in school, not really anymore. i liked them because i could hide a bit of my face with it.

Have you ever taken a road trip on two lane highways instead of the interstate? n/a.
-If so, can you give an example of where to where? n/a.

i don't know how to answer that since i don't live in the us.

Even if it was just a school play, has anyone in your family ever been bitten by the acting bug? nah.

Bonus Section:
Have you ever been to a flea market? yes.

If so, indoors or outdoors or both? both.

Did you buy anything? no.

Did you eat anything? french fries.

Foodie Questions:
-Frito pie?
-Walking taco?
-Pudgy pie?
-Cornish pastie?

no for all of them.

What's at least one sandwich or other handy food the region you live in is known for? no sandwiches for the southwest of france, many cheeses, "dried plums" pruneaux d'agen, cassoulet, that horrible foie gras, but none of that are "handy", so i don't know.

Just for fun:
Describe a dumb move you saw someone pull in traffic: don't have any good story to tell.

Here's hoping your Thursday doesn't blow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics