U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:48 AM

33,275 posts, read 18,383,427 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: I've owned several cats over the years ever since I was a kid (I don't own one now).

One heartwarming story I have is a few years ago at a local fast food restaurant, there was a stray cat that lived in the hibiscus bushes separating the fast food restaurant parking lot from the steak restaurant next door. The manager on duty of the fast food place would go out and put out a bowl of food for this cat and the cat would go over and eat.

One day, I came into the restaurant to pick up lunch and I asked the manager what happened to the cat because I didn't see it around. She told me a family who lived nearby adopted the cat. They even brought a basket lined with a blanket to take the cat home in.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?
-lots of fun photos at: https://www.flickr.com/groups/bodegacats/pool/
A long time ago I visited a locksmith that had a resident cat. I'm not sure if it was employed as "rat patrol" because all it did was take a nap in the sun coming through the window.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? My favorite meteorologist was the late Dr. George Fischbeck from the local ABC station. My favorite news reporter was Tony Snow, who was also the Press Secretary under President George W. Bush.

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Return it to the store.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Maybe when I was in college, but not now.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Nuts are always good to have on hand. A baked sweet potato is also good.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Word finds.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Never did those.

Enjoy your Thursday before Thanksgiving.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 01:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,672,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*
With that said here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:
Shared a number of stories in the
Cats Forum back when they were fresh on my mind after I lost my best little buddy of 13+ yrs, RIP Kitty!

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?
Just a few barn cats

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?
In Dallas back in the 80's-90's, it was KVIL's Ron Chapman & Susie Humphreys who made us forget all about the horrific commuter traffic every morning and instead got us to work amid smiles & laughter!

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?
Take it back into the store & let them know that it had been forgotten by one of their customers so that whoever left it could claim it if/when they find it missing.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?
Not anymore

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds?
Neither, do like the
Text Twist game on the internet

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper?

Today in History:
1919 "Shakespeare and Company" bookshop opened in Paris (home to resident cats, btw)
--> https://theculturetrip.com/europe/fr...french-feline/

Top Music Hits This Day In: Remember them all!
1942 Bing Crosby - White Christmas
1953 Tony Bennett - Rags To Riches
1961 Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
1972 Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now
1985 Starship - We Built This City
1991 Michael Bolton - When a Man Loves a Woman
2014 Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Today's Quote:
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored."
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
bodega cat [boh-DEY-guh kat] noun
A cat kept in a shop to control rodents and other pests.
Origin: "bodega" Spanish for grocery store or wine shop + "cat" domesticated feline
Cats have been housed in businesses worldwide for centuries for pest control. In NYC where
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats."

Today Includes:
American Smokeout, give up smoking
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture: Very nice!
New Jersey. Bright red autumn color in Colts Neck, NJ.
Made freely available on flickr.com by Joiseyshowa

^-.-^ Zzzzz So sleepy now I make take a cat nap. See ya later.

Have a bodacious Thursday!
Thanks bjh & to all of your kitties for Thursday's purr-fect QotD!

Happy Thursday all, only a week away 'til Turkey Day in the USA...
these turkeys sure are tricky little devils!

Old 11-17-2016, 03:05 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,606,267 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: One of the nicest cats I've had was an orange tiger, Jazz. I decided that since I was away so much that she needed company and Quinn, a Maine coon kitten came home with me. Jazz was not impressed or amused by his antics, but within a couple days she fell in love and they were inseparable.

One that comes to mind lived at a small general store across from the beach I vacation at in Maine. He was often curled up by the register observing all who came and went.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Retired now, Marty on the mountain. He reported on the weather from the summit of Mount Washington. I remember he wasn't a weatherman, but an engineer. He'd report with a serious expression and then would smile the biggest smile at the end.

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Leave it, hoping the person who forgot it would return.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Sure.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? The Vermont Country Store is not far from my home and sometimes I stop in to snack on their samples. Cheese, crackers and pretzels with dips, fudge.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Depends on mood, I guess.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Used to.

Today in History:
1919 "Shakespeare and Company" bookshop opened in Paris (home to resident cats, btw)
--> https://theculturetrip.com/europe/fr...french-feline/ Would love to spend the day there.

Top Music Hits This Day In:
I know all these songs except for Taylor Swift's.

Today's Quote:
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored."
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
Origin: "bodega" Spanish for grocery store or wine shop + "cat" domesticated feline
Cats have been housed in businesses worldwide for centuries for pest control. In NYC where
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats."

Today Includes:
American Smokeout, give up smoking Please do!
Homemade Bread Day Oh, love warm homemade bread
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture:
New Jersey. Bright red autumn color in Colts Neck, NJ. Beautiful!

^-.-^ Zzzzz So sleepy now I make take a cat nap. See ya later. This kitty reminds me of Quinn who always did this little dance when eating.

Have a bodacious Thursday! Thanks, you too!

Old 11-17-2016, 05:07 AM

15,803 posts, read 10,079,494 times
Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow* this is so much better than a lot of posts I've read online!

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: one of my mom's office kitties used to get behind me when I was at the PC. She'd kneed my back like a furry little masseuse - claws in!

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? yes, including an independent bookstore with a resident cat

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? i used to like reading Calvin Trillin in the New Yorker. He's the first to come to mind just now - maybe cause I'm hungry!

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? look around to see if the shopper was nearby. Leave it or take it back in to the store depending on my time, etc

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? often

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? almonds and cheese, peanut butter and apple, hummus and carrots...chips, sweets

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? crossword puzzles - and sudoku

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? yes - they were always so corny, like bazooka Joe jokes. And the cartoons accompanying the jumble were always so dated. Still fun though

Today in History:

Today's Quote:
~ Alice Walker, author its true. My mom thinks I'm an animal whisperer, but really it's mostly listening

Today’s Phrase:

Today Includes:
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture:

Have a bodacious Thursday! you too!

Old 11-17-2016, 05:10 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,462,803 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: My husband was munching on cereal one day and the cat came up and stuck his head in the bag and when my husband moved his hand the cat jumped into the air (bag still on his head) and took off running spilling cereal everywhere!

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? yes.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Hmmm...I don't really care for most news people as I feel the news is not reported fairly and accurately.Most radio dj's annoy me, so I don't listen to radio.

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?To be honest probably nothing. I would just keep going about my business.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? YES!!!!

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Fruit. Nuts. Mix them.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? neither

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? I haven't read a paper in years. So no.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:02 AM

25,710 posts, read 25,183,421 times
Snack all day long, that's every day for me. You kinda get bored when driving truck so I fill my lunch box with goodies to eat. Sliced veggies, cookies, cheese, whatever.
I prefer word searches and actually subscribe.
Thanks for the questions, happy Thursday!

Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 AM

122,112 posts, read 15,574,696 times
Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: visited my daughter recently and her cat is such a cutie. Friendly as can be. I woke up in the night wondering what is tickling me under my noise and touching my face. It was her cat who lay beside me purring,starring at me and touching with his paw my nose and face. It is interesting how tender they can be if they want to.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? yes both. I remember a parrot it always said " Hello please come in"

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Peter Mansbridge and Peter Jennings

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Just leave it there

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? I never did that..if I snack during the day it is mostly fruit and vegis

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? celery with peanut butter and raisins/ants on a log ,plain yogurt and raw vegetable,apple and cheddar cheese,trail mix

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? crossword puzzles

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Don't think so

Today in History:

Today's Quote:
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:

Today Includes:
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture:

Have a bodacious Thursday!

Thank you bjh and EVERYONE have a terrific Thursday

Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 AM

4,109 posts, read 2,390,947 times
[b]Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: I don't have any

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? No

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Walter Chronkite

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Leave it there

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?
All the time
What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? chips and hummas

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? neither

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? no

Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,595,931 times
[quote=bjh;46222008]Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:

I have shared both of these in other threads, so I will try to be brief.

1. In the morning my cat would sit on my chest and give me a little press on the nose to wake me up. If I kept opening my eyes, telling him to get lost and closing them again he would finally put his paw on the end of my nose and lean on it, keeping my nose pressed down until I had to throw a fit....and of course, he won, I got up.

2. He was a psychoanalyst. He would sometimes jump up on the arm of my chair and then move over to my lap where he would stand on his hind legs with his front legs braced on my chest chest, and stare into my eyes! And on a real deep analysis day, he would take one paw off my chest and put it on my chin or cheek as if he were making me look into his eyes...which he was because by this time I was telling him to buzz off and act like a cat. I don't know what this was about as it was always spontaneous - out of the blue, but I would finally have pick him up and put him on the floor to get him literally "out of my face." Or as I finally started doing yelling at him, "You are not my analyst!" loud enough to get him to buzz off. Very weird.

"Bodega" may have been the first Hispanic word I learned when I moved into a heavily Hispanic NYC neighborhood in 1960. I hadn't hear the term "bodega cat" until now. When I was younger having a mouser in a store, especially a food store was not unusual. In fact, the bodega on the first floor of my building on Columbus and W. 80th used to have a big cat in the store. It sometimes lounged on the fruit, and it could be really funny because sometimes an Anglo would want something, but be really afraid to try to shoo this big old cat off the oranges. He was big and totally uninterested in any kitty-kitty stuff or being petted or scratched, he was all macho attitude. The Hispanic customers would just yell at him if he were napping on the bananas or something else they wanted, but he just got up veeeeeeery slowly and jumped off the bin....no hurry.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?

OMG, I can't think of a one, surely there must have been someone.!

I do remember Ted Collins on the daytime Kate Smith Show about a thousand years ago. He was her manager (and my mother said he was her boyfriend too!), but as I recall he used to give short newscasts on her show....something like that, and I always thought he sounded like a fake. As I recall he was very serious about it....maybe I thought too serious to be believed. Dunno.

I just checked Wiki, and it says my mother was all wet about their romance thing. Figures.

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?

To be embarrassingly honest, I would probably do nothing at all. If I did do anything, it would be to take the six-pack back inside the store and give it to the information counter to deal with.

But since you have to put a one euro coin into the cart in order to free it from the line of carts, and you do not get your euro back until you put the cart back in line and attach it to the cart in front, I don't ever recall seeing an abandoned cart in the parking lot of the super market that I use.

Foodie Question(s):

Do I ever?????????? Let me count the days..............................

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks?

A large bar of white chocolate

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds?

Neither

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper?

No

Today in History:

This is the version I remember...Percy Sledge, 1966

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lp7FtJXp7k

Today's Quote:
~ Alice Walker, author
You go, girl!

Old 11-17-2016, 07:44 AM

6,176 posts, read 4,431,648 times
cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*

[b]Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: we had three cats and there was a stray hanging around the neighborhood. My son wanted me to take it in but I said we had enough cats. So one very cold, snowy day the little stray kept running into our house so I kept it because my sister said she would take her when she came to town in a couple weeks. This little stray was such a nice kitty my husband fell in love with her and said, your sister us not taking this cat. We kept her, she was the best cat we ever had and lived to be 19 years old. We miss her every day.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? Yes, a lumber yard by the river that has a lot of mice or rats has a cat who sits on the counter. He is huge! The guys who work there say he doesn't eat the cat food they put out for him because he fills up on rodents.

Bonus Section:

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Nothing

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? No, I have to eat at least one meal unless I'm sick.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Popcorn. Cereal.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Both

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics