U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 AM

604 posts, read 411,195 times

Advertisements

Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:

My stepson's cat, Boo, has been living with us for a few years, now. When we were sleeping, and Boo decided it was time for us to get up and feed him, he would actually punch the button on top of my clock radio to start the music playing! If that didn't work, he would start knocking things off the night stand.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?

I've seen a cat in a book store, also a hardware store. The one in the hardware store was just laying on a sack of feed, sleeping.

Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?

Hmmmm, remember quite a few years ago, Tom Bergeron was on one of those morning news shows for a little while? I thought he was quite good. Now he's on Dancing with the Stars.

What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?

I would probably just leave it there. If I was on my way in to the store, I might possibly take it in.

Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Yes, once in a while.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Trail mix, popcorn

]So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Crossword puzzles

iDo/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Yes, sometimes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:22 AM

32,980 posts, read 13,792,173 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? Nope
-lots of fun photos at: https://www.flickr.com/groups/bodegacats/pool/

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Vin Scully!

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?
Leave it, don't drink it.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Sometimes.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks?
Hummus, gluten free crackers, cheese!

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Neither

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Always with my Mom!!

Old 11-17-2016, 09:37 AM

6,637 posts, read 6,785,704 times
Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*
With that said here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: When I was growing up we lived at housing compounds at the various airports my dad worked at. when families would go on vacation we usually became cat sitters. When the family returned the cats would still come over to our house anytime they could not get in their home.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?

I worked at a place that had a mouser. It was a fuel service company. There was a shop dog but he would only chase mice if they got in his food. When we got a cat the mice packed up and left in a hurry.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?

Always liked Paul Harvey

Extra Credit:
Would just leave it

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?

Many times. Depends what leftovers are hanging around

Cheese, sausage, crackers and cheap beer

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Neither

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Many years ago

Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 AM

3,948 posts, read 2,482,554 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: I adopted a very shy cat who used to hide under the bedspread on my daybed. Since I never saw her, except as a bump under the bedspread, I decided to adopt another cat from the SPCA. This one did not have a history of hiding under bedspreads, but sure enough, he started to do it too! Fortunately, they're both out and about all the time now but if I have houseguests, under the bedspread they go.

My farmer uncles in New Zealand had cats to keep the barns rodent-free. There was a farm-supply store down the street from me in Wisconsin that had one too.

Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? I loved Tim Russert and Gwen Ifill -- RIP Gwen. I enjoy David Brooks of the NYT.

What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Take it back into the store in case the person came looking for it.

Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? I do.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Crackers, yoghurt, fruit.

So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Crosswords.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? I don't/didn't.

Thanks bjh and happy day everyone!

Old 11-17-2016, 10:28 AM

6,850 posts, read 2,353,557 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: Haven't got any. I am somewhat allergic to cats and my mom didn't like cats so I never had any. I have had numerous dogs though. The two I have now actually like to play with the cats that get in the back yard.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? Not that I'm aware of

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? David Brinkley and Chet Huntley; Walter Cronkite; Vin Scully; John Anderson (weather man when we lived in Roswell); Paul Harvey

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Take it into the store and turn it in to customer service.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Oh yes.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Just about anything can be a good mini-meal or snack

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Crossword puzzles!

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? We don't have these in our paper

Nice questions, bjh. Thanks. Happy Thursday to one and all.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 9,260,733 times
[quote=bjh;46222008]Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*

Today's Question(s):
I have so many but "Boy Boy" (Not his real name. It's my nickname for him) and I have a special bond. He came to me as a kitten for a week shortly after he was adopted by the boys across the street. He had two homes. If he saw suitcases he would just come to our house. One day I picked him up after working a night shift and they were on their way out. He followed me across the street, down the ally, into the garage, and into the house. I saw him in October and we still have that special bond. He was lost once when he was a kitten and I found him after three days of being out in the cold. He just came right to me as soon as he heard my voice. I could hear them calling for him but he would not go home. Boy Boy is about 12 now and an outside cat in coyote territory. Every visit with him is a gift.

I've visited my friends just so I could see their cats and other pets
Bonus Section:

Rachel Maddow used to rub me the wrong way. I found her to be a tad smug. I watch her once in awhile with John and I admire her intelligence but I don't go out of my way to watch her. I miss the Colbert report.
Extra Credit:
Keep it if it's something I like, leave it if it's something I won't drink.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?
Only if John is out of town. He's anal about eating three real meals a day.

Pop corn. Cheese and crackers. Cereal works with a banana in it it too.
Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds?
Word finds.
Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper?

No.
Today in History:
1919 "Shakespeare and Company" bookshop opened in Paris (home to resident cats, btw)
--> https://theculturetrip.com/europe/fr...french-feline/

Top Music Hits This Day In:
1942 Bing Crosby - White Christmas
1953 Tony Bennett - Rags To Riches
1961 Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
1972 Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now
1985 Starship - We Built This City
1991 Michael Bolton - When a Man Loves a Woman
2014 Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Today's Quote:
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored."
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
bodega cat [boh-DEY-guh kat] noun
A cat kept in a shop to control rodents and other pests.
Origin: "bodega" Spanish for grocery store or wine shop + "cat" domesticated feline
Cats have been housed in businesses worldwide for centuries for pest control. In NYC where
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats."

Today Includes:
American Smokeout, give up smoking
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture:
New Jersey. Bright red autumn color in Colts Neck, NJ.

Made freely available on flickr.com by Joiseyshowa
^-.-^ Zzzzz So sleepy now I make take a cat nap. See ya later.

Have a bodacious Thursday!

Thanks bjh. We're off for a 12 mile bike ride before the dentist this afternoon. No luck at the car dealer yesterday. I guess we may just keep our truck another year. It has 83k miles and we've never kept one past that many miles. I'm told it should go 200k miles.

Last edited by animalcrazy; 11-17-2016 at 11:20 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM

15,895 posts, read 16,156,510 times
Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*

Today's Question(s):

I adopted a kitten and she "disappeared" in the house. I couldn't find her anywhere.
At last I found her in a hammock of sorts. It was the netting under the box springs. She found or created a hole in the netting. There she was just swinging away.

There is a used bookstore in Ft. Worth. On staff they have two cats named Simon & Schuster. I love those cats.

Bonus Section:

Brian Williams by a landslide.

Extra Credit:

Truth be told, I would just ignore it.

Foodie Question(s):
Yes. I had one of those days yesterday.

Granola bars, pretzels with mustard, Kosher trail mix.

Just for fun:

My absolute favorites are logic problems.

Yes. NYT Sunday x-words (Will Shortz puzzles)

Today in History:
1919 "Shakespeare and Company" bookshop opened in Paris (home to resident cats, btw)

Today's Quote:
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored."
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
Origin: "bodega" Spanish for grocery store or wine shop + "cat" domesticated feline
Cats have been housed in businesses worldwide for centuries for pest control. In NYC where
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats." I didn't know they were called bodega cats. Muy bien.

Today Includes:
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week Yummers!

Today's Stately Picture:

Made freely available on flickr.com by Joiseyshowa

Have a bodacious Thursday! You, too, bjh. I loved the questions and info.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:53 AM

20,590 posts, read 21,380,581 times
Today's Question(s):
Cats seem to adopt us. Tuffy ( so named cuz he was tuff) was a big Tom cat that used to bring home live full grown chickens as a present for us instead of a mouse. Chickens were returned to their owners.

Just office cats.

Bonus Section:
Sports, Vin Scully, Weather, Dallas Raines, News, Edward R Murrow.

Extra Credit:
Return it to the store.

Foodie Question(s):
Yep

Nuts, popcorn, fruit bars, depends on what we pick up at Costco.

Just for fun:
Neither.

Nope

Thanx bjh

Old 11-17-2016, 12:53 PM

8,698 posts, read 14,135,124 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: We bought our cat a little ball with a bell in it. I'm upstairs in bed but my wife has to sleep in her recliner all night. She said it's hard to sleep when Cali (the cat) is chasing that ball with the bell all over the downstairs. lol

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? Barns, yes. Business, no

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Paul Harvey. "Stand by for news!"

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Leave it in the cart. It's not mine.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Yup

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Lunchables or just a nibble on a bag of Fritos off and on.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Love them both but prefer crossword

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? I used to just about every day. I have the Jumbles app on my Kindle Fire.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:48 PM

730 posts, read 402,886 times
Today's Question(s):
We have had (and currently do have) cats that will play fetch. Our latest addition, a black cat we have named Mister, apparently has a penchant for hitchhiking. He ended up at our office, jumping out of the hood of someone's car. One of my co-workers tried to locate the "black streak" that dashed out, but to no avail. On my home from work, I heard what sounded like kids playing and crying, but the sound didn't get quieter. I thought, OMGosh, the cat is no in my hood. Well, he was actually hiding in the rim of the spare tire underneath my truck. It was in the summer and hot. He was panting. I made it to our house and my wife crawled under and just plucked him out, she was in mother mode. I thought she was going to get clawed up. We tried to find him a home as we have 3 dogs and 2 cats already, but to no avail so we have kept him.

A barn and a friend or two.

Bonus Section:

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? I would turn it in. But, more than likely the store would have to end up throwing it out. I left a bag of stuff I bought once and someone did turn it in. I was grateful.

Foodie Question(s):
Saturday's are sometimes like that, but trying to be better.

Carrots, Hummus, Fig Bars, Granola bars.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? - Hidato is a favorite of mine, uses numbers.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? - In the past

Today in History:

I'm surprised you didn't find some cat themed songs. :O)

Today's Quote:
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats."

Today Includes:
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week - We could all use some of that.
Split Pea Soup Week - Just had my first bowl of this recently. It was Vegan safe and good.

Today's Stately Picture:

Stunning.

Have a bodacious Thursday!
Well have to send you some Catnip. :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics