U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 02:56 PM

13,108 posts, read 18,010,335 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a nearby estate sale (70 mile roundtrip) so I'm late today. I didn't buy anything but did find an overpriced left-handed Fender acoustic guitar and a small Marshall solid state amp that were fun to contemplate.

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: I am probably an unusual male around these parts because I like cats as well as I like dogs. I've had as many as eight cats at one time guarding my barns. However, my stories mostly end in sadness since coyotes are involved. Right now I am down to two adult tom cats, Sammy and Spooky, grandfather and grandson respectively. It's just a matter of time before the coyotes make another raid. I heard them last evening just outside the yard security light.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?
-lots of fun photos at: https://www.flickr.com/groups/bodegacats/pool/
I'm sure I have. Many stores have cats working covertly in their warehouse areas. Not the "cool cats" on forklifts either.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Ron Burgundy?

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Take it back inside to CS.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Yesterday and that's bad for me.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Cheese Puffs.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? I suppose crossword puzzles since I don't know what a word find is.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? I have but it was a long long time ago.

Great questions BJH.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 03:32 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,068,436 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:
A woman I work with told me a story about her cat I liked:

She said that her cat was watching her front yard from the upstairs bedroom window and came running down. When she let her out, the cat pounced right on a mouse that she spied from the window.

Another story: When I was in high school, my government teacher had a cat named "Peach Blossom Kitty Fluffkins". Try saying that one three times fast!

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?
Never seen one, but the restaurant I work at could sure use one.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?
Scott Pelley on CBS. I wasn't alive when most of the great newscasters were around.

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?
Bring it home for others in the house to enjoy. I don't drink soda.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?
Quite often. I don't really have a set eating schedule. As I once said to someone about something similar in a conversation, "I say heck to meals!"
What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks?

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds?
I like both. Word finds would be my favorite though.
Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper?
I do sometimes. I also do the sudoku if it's easy. The crosswords in our paper are above and beyond my knowledge though.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:01 PM

24,134 posts, read 24,391,743 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: My fur ball.. MT Multi-Toes 9 toes on all paws.. most of her life she ate her dried food sitting up right like a Meerkat and when you caught her.. she then would fall down every so lady like. Did not purr and was not a lap cat.. Black with a white blaze on chest and green eyes.. 10-12 pounds. Lost her in 2010

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? Just the milking barn

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? I would most likely return it... all depends on what was found..

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Every day..

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Mini meals.. as in 6 make a meal I graze all day...

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? I found a word... Mr. Rogers I am not !

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? No

Today in History:
1919 "Shakespeare and Company" bookshop opened in Paris (home to resident cats, btw)
--> https://theculturetrip.com/europe/fr...french-feline/

Top Music Hits This Day In:
1942 Bing Crosby - White Christmas
1953 Tony Bennett - Rags To Riches
1961 Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
1972 Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now
1985 Starship - We Built This City
1991 Michael Bolton - When a Man Loves a Woman
2014 Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Today's Quote:
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored."
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
bodega cat [boh-DEY-guh kat] noun
A cat kept in a shop to control rodents and other pests.
Origin: "bodega" Spanish for grocery store or wine shop + "cat" domesticated feline
Cats have been housed in businesses worldwide for centuries for pest control. In NYC where
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats."

Today Includes:
American Smokeout, give up smoking
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week.......................... It should be every week
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture:
New Jersey. Bright red autumn color in Colts Neck, NJ. Looks like my back yard..

Made freely available on flickr.com by Joiseyshowa
^-.-^ Zzzzz So sleepy now I make take a cat nap. See ya later.

Have a bodacious Thursday! ........... Thanks BJH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s13dLaTIHSg

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 11-17-2016 at 08:28 PM..

Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 PM

7,879 posts, read 3,639,366 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:
My cat likes hats:
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	177512

Well; "like" may be too strong a word ... more like "doesn't hate" them. And the kids are always finding some fashion accessory for him.

Tommy was "gifted" to me as a kitten by my ex-BF who found out my husband hates cats. I told the old man the kids found him & I already told them we could keep him. Now; the old man is literally Tommy's favorite family member; they are "buds"!

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol
No.

Bonus Section:
Tom Brokaw made me feel "cozy". Nancy Grace is a riot. We had a local reporter by the name of Sandra Mann. She's retired from TV news now but serves on our school board. She can be seen on the ID channel on the show "Homicide Hunter; Lt. Joe Kenda" as a commenter. My ex BF had the biggest crush on her; every time the news started he'd say "Hi, Sandy!" as if she could hear him!

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?
Return it to Customer Service. Yesterday at a pharmacy drive through they sent me someone elses credit card through the pneumatic tube! I sent it back in, called the tech & said "Hey; thats not my CC!" They were all apologetic & saying "Thank You..." And then they sent it right back ... very concerning! I sent it back again & called them again; geez!

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?
I'd prefer to graze. If I didn't have kids thats all I would do.
What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Chocolate doughnuts & sharp cheddar cheese.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Crosswords

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? No

November 17th is my baby's birthday! Luke is the youngest of my 11 & turned 13 years old today! It's a bit bittersweet; Luke is disabled but he has always thought that the reason he can't do what his big brothers & sisters do is because he wasn't "a teenager yet". Sweet boy! He thinks that now that he is a teenager it means he can get a job at the movie theatre & drive so I'll be watching my car keys!

Old 11-19-2016, 10:32 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

38,585 posts, read 25,628,663 times
*meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*
With that said here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
Some years ago my mother couldn't drive away from the grocery store because a black and
white kitten was hiding under her vehicle. She was afraid he'd be run over. She brought him
home for a day or two, but had cats of her own and couldn't keep him. Luckily one of my
brothers was between pets at the time and took him in.

I've seen them in bookstores, a hardware store, and a junk shop.

Bonus Section:
Lewis Grizzard, anyone remember him?

Extra Credit:
This happened to me. I tried to return it to the customer service desk. The clerk thought I
was trying to get a refund. Guess I could have gotten a free five bucks. Fast forward
several minutes until another clerk understood what was going on. No good deed will go unpunished.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Those days can be good.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Nachos.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Crossword puzzles.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Yep.

^-.-^ Zzzzz So sleepy now I make take a cat nap. See ya later.

Been up since 630. I could use a nap now.

Thanks everyone. Enjoy your weekend.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics