Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:23 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times

Advertisements

Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*
With that said here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?
-lots of fun photos at: https://www.flickr.com/groups/bodegacats/pool/

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks?

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds?

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper?

Today in History:
1919 "Shakespeare and Company" bookshop opened in Paris (home to resident cats, btw)
--> https://theculturetrip.com/europe/fr...french-feline/

Top Music Hits This Day In:
1942 Bing Crosby - White Christmas
1953 Tony Bennett - Rags To Riches
1961 Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
1972 Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now
1985 Starship - We Built This City
1991 Michael Bolton - When a Man Loves a Woman
2014 Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Today's Quote:
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored."
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
bodega cat [boh-DEY-guh kat] noun
A cat kept in a shop to control rodents and other pests.
Origin: "bodega" Spanish for grocery store or wine shop + "cat" domesticated feline
Cats have been housed in businesses worldwide for centuries for pest control. In NYC where
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats."

Today Includes:
American Smokeout, give up smoking
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture:
New Jersey. Bright red autumn color in Colts Neck, NJ.

Made freely available on flickr.com by Joiseyshowa
^-.-^ Zzzzz So sleepy now I make take a cat nap. See ya later.

Have a bodacious Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 09:39 PM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
[b]Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share:
- N/A

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol?
- Briefly looked at the link. Never saw anything like that before. Maybe I never noticed...

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.?
- Dan Rather, Tim Russert.

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot?
- I'd leave it alone for either the owner coming back for it or more likely someone else will take it. I do not touch that stuff...
Possibly I may take it back to the store but not if I had to wait in a line to do so. Likely I wouldn't bother with it.

Foodie Question(s): ]Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? - I've never done that.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? - I like peanut butter crackers.
"Mini Meals" - Does a slice of pizza count?

Just for fun:
- I do not do either but would consider both.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? - Sometimes, in the past...

I can get behind these:

Today Includes:
- Yes, please do that. I knew someone who quit smoking on this day.
Homemade Bread Day

And these:

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Thanks, bjh.
Happy Thursday to all!

Last edited by John13; 11-16-2016 at 10:01 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: N/A, no cats here, allergies.

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Walter Cronkite news, Vince Scully sports.

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Take back into the store.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Rarely.

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Peanuts, popcorn and cracker-jacks.

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? I do 4-5 crosswords daily.

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Jumbles daily too.

bjh

Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
Our cats wrote today's intro. And I quote: *meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow**meow*

Today's Question(s):

Dear Oliver: He's jet black with the biggest green eyes. Shortly after he arrived he would climb on my pillow each morning when he felt it was time for me to wake up and feed him. If that didn't wake me he would start licking my face with his sandpaper tongue. Or he'd bat my nose or stick his paw in my eye. This week as I opened my eyes there he was - upside down with his face about an inch from mine waiting for my eyes to open. I swear he smiled when I opened my eyes. So cute.

My vet has a couple cats that are office cats - they generally just hang out and supervise when you're filling out a form or paying the bill. I doubt there are any rodents.

Bonus Section:

Extra Credit:

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? Today

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? Egg rolls~~~toast~~~cheese~~~~cottage cheese~~~~wontons

Just for fun:

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? Yes

Today in History:
1919 "Shakespeare and Company" bookshop opened in Paris (home to resident cats, btw)

Good job BJH.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Today's Question(s):

My then sister used to tease the cat (pull his tail, annoy him) when she was a little kid so he used to stalk her. He'd hide behind doors and then jump out and grab her leg and hold on. We had a dishwasher that used to have to be rolled up to the sink. When it wasn't being used it was kept under the kitchen window. The cat used to like to sit on top of it and look out the window. One day he watched my sister coming home from school. She was like 5 or 6. As she started to walk up the driveway, he jumped on top of the refrigerator. As soon as she walked through the door, he jumped on her head. He never bothered anyone else, just her. The funny thing is all through her adult life she's had cat pets. She's now 60 and she has 2 cats.

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? No

Bonus Section:

Generally speaking I hate most female newscasters voices. The ones I like usually have or have had a radio show and know how to modulate their voices. I don't read or watch reporters I don't like. I met David Brinkley, Willard Scott and Nancy Dickerson back in 1969 or 1970. I used to live on the same floor as Walter Cronkite's mother (she was really old then) in Washington, DC when I was 19 and had roommates but I never saw him. It would be easier to tell you who I do like. Edit: Sorry, I read the question wrong. I thought you were asking who is my least favorite. I like Charles Hurt. He writes for The Washington Times. I like Tammy Bruce. She had a radio show I used to listen to in DC. I like Rush Limbaugh. I like Laura Ingraham. She also has a radio show but I only see her now as a contributor on TV since I moved out of DC. I don't like Katie Couric, Leslie Stahl, or Andrea Mitchell. I don't agree with a word Rachel Maddow says but I like her. When I was a kid, I liked Phil Rizzuto.

Extra Credit:

Nothing

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals?
Like Wednesday?

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? pretzel rods

Just for fun:
don't like word finds so I will go with crosswords by default. I prefer crypto quotes.

When I was a kid.

Last edited by LauraC; 11-16-2016 at 10:29 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 10:33 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,173 times
We had a cat called Mitzi, who died about five years ago. I wouldn't know were to begin with funny stories about her. She made us laugh every day, and we sure do miss her.

We have a lady weather forecaster here in England who has many fans. She is just such a lovely lady. She had a go on 'Strictly Come Dancing,' and the whole country was rooting for her, but sadly, she wasn't very good. But boy, she is a class act.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKFSv7Yl8bw

There are many older red blooded males who just love Carol...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdSZPQcDX8

Old 11-16-2016, 11:20 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times

Today's Question(s):
We've had so many cats good memories and the sad times. I wouldn't know where to begin.
Not that I was aware of.

Bonus Section:
Dan Cook a local sportscaster credited with the first use of the phrase: "it's not over till the fat lady sings"

Extra Credit:
That response could vary.

Foodie Question(s):
I usually have one real meal for the day...dinner.
I've had so many over the years.

Just for fun:
I don't know....
No paper..

Today in History:

Top Music Hits This Day In:
1942 Bing Crosby - White Christmas
1953 Tony Bennett - Rags To Riches
1961 Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
1972 Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now
1985 Starship - We Built This City
1991 Michael Bolton - When a Man Loves a Woman
2014 Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Today's Quote:
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored."
~ Alice Walker, author

Today’s Phrase:
bodega cat [boh-DEY-guh kat] noun
A cat kept in a shop to control rodents and other pests.
Origin: "bodega" Spanish for grocery store or wine shop + "cat" domesticated feline
Cats have been housed in businesses worldwide for centuries for pest control. In NYC where
'bodega' has come to mean any small retailer, the cats that keep pests in check there are called "bodega cats."

Today Includes:
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week Not seeing any on TV...
Split Pea Soup Week

Today's Stately Picture:
New Jersey. Bright red autumn color in Colts Neck, NJ.

Made freely available on flickr.com by Joiseyshowa

Thanks BJH! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-16-2016 at 11:29 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 11:23 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
Today's Question(s):
Well, I'm not a cat person and have never owned a cat, so this will be a challenge. I will say that my mother was devoted to her cats and catered to their every whim. She had one tiger cat named Mucho because he was always mooching food.
No, but I've visited bookstores that had a resident cat.

Bonus Section:
I liked Walter Cronkite, Tim and Tom Brokaw. For weather, my favorite is a local meteorologist named Mark Tamayo. I used to like Jim McKay as a sports reporter, and of course every San Franciscan's favorite columnist is, was and will always be Herb Caen.

Extra Credit:
Take it back into the store and turn it in to the customer service desk or manager.

Foodie Question(s):
If I were single, there would be a lot of days like that. I love to nosh! But I have to maintain my image for Mr. Bay, so I cook on the days that we don't go out.
I like the single-serving packets of roasted nuts that Trader Joe's sells. I also like some of their energy drinks and energy bars.

Just for fun:
I like crossword puzzles best, but I've done both.
No, I haven't done those regularly since I worked in an office. Nowadays I prefer online games.

Thanks, Meow Man - I mean, bjh!

Old 11-16-2016, 11:29 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,189,916 times

Today's Question(s):

a few months ago mother and i had a cat at home, he was always coming for food and it lasted a couple weeks, he would always get stuck on the rooftop of the building (he could climb there perfectly fine but never could climb down from it lol), neighbors used to call firefighters to help him down because he kept mewling all day long until someone took care of him, but one day the firefighters were tired of coming so they took him away to a shelter, i don't know if he is still alive now or not, but i hope so, he was a very cute cat, the screen photo of my old phone is of him

Have you ever visited a store or any business that "employed" a cat on rodent patrol? no

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? she used to present the weather, i'd gladly marry her but i think she's married and that she doesn't fancy girls... Anaïs Baydemir

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? i'd take it and bring it home...

Foodie Question(s):
Do you ever have a day where you just snack all day instead of having regular meals? yes

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? anything that can be cooked in the microwaves....

Just for fun:

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? maybe once, mother love those kind of word games though, just not in the paper

Old 11-16-2016, 11:40 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
Good Morning

Today's Question(s):
Please tell us at least one cute, funny or interesting cat story/stories or any positive memory you care to share: It is not so cute--put my husband in a house that has a cat and watch his eyes react! Danger, danger--cat dander!

Bonus Section:
Print, TV or radio, any form, who is/was at least one of your favorite newscasters, weather forecasters, sports reporters, columnists, etc.? Andy Rooney

Extra Credit:
What would you do if you found a six pack of soda forgotten in a cart in the grocery store parking lot? Leave it there--maybe the person would come back.

Foodie Question(s):

What are some good mini-meals or filling snacks? cheese and crackers with pepperoni and raw vegetables

Just for fun:
So tell us, do you prefer crossword puzzles or word finds? Neither

Do/did you ever work the daily word Jumbles in the paper? I used to do that a lot as a teenager

Today Includes:
Homemade Bread Day
Petroleum Day

This Week Includes:
Geography Awareness Week
Kindness Week
Split Pea Soup Week

Wishing you a silly dilly day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics