U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 AM

257 posts, read 1,016,125 times

Advertisements

Looking for a small city or town that still has tree lighting, w/o all the people and traffic of NYC...rockefeller square for example. Do these small towns still exist? Tree lighting? Hot Chocolate Vendors? Salvation Army Bands? How about Christmas Displays in the windows downtown? Carollers? If I lived in a large city I don't think I would enjoy the festivities because of the crowds, and the traffic, but I would enjoy a small town festivity!
I mean how long has it been since u have had carollers come to your home on Christmas eve? Are those days long gone?

If something like this still exists....PLEASE tell me where I need to go!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 11:41 AM

8,191 posts, read 29,228,263 times
There were 6 tree lightings that I was aware of in the last 2 days here in my neck of the woods. There have been Christmas parades and craft shows in many of the nearby towns.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:43 PM

7,516 posts, read 17,634,158 times
Parker's Carriage Parade (horse drawn) and Tree Lighting is next Saturday, Dec. 9th. Go into the Parker, CO website for more info/times. Not nearly as many people/traffic as other cities in the area.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 16,537,451 times
I nearly had a head on with a horse and carriage that was trolling about after dark in a neighborhood near mine.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 AM

5,019 posts, read 13,177,441 times
Madison IN doesn't have a tree lighting, but it definitely gets decked-out for Christmas and has that small town charm.

I noticed you also posed this question in the KY forum. Here is a link to events in northern KY and southern IN:

http://www.roundaboutmadison.com/Inside%20Pages/calendar.html (broken link)

Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 AM

169 posts, read 639,090 times
I can't remember if they have a tree lighting, but Sabetha Kansas has a Christmas Store lighting event every year. I think it is Thanksgiving night or the night after and it's a pretty big deal for the town. My Grandparents lived there and every year we'd bundle up and go downtown to look at all the displays in the storefronts. They'd have carrolers, buggy rides and free hot cider. It was always alot of fun and boy talking about it makes me miss it!

Old 12-04-2006, 09:34 AM

20,005 posts, read 71,824,973 times
Im really hoping someone from Vermont of New Hampshire can let us know if this type of town exists anywhere in their states. When I get visions of said town, those two states always come to mind. They seem like the perfect states to support something like that.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 AM

49 posts, read 198,214 times
Check out Durango, CO for a great small town with true charm, I would stay at the Straiter or Palmer hotels downtown but there are cheaper ones on main street close to the downtown area, and you can ski, sled, and there are amazing places to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics