Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:52 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times

Advertisements

My parents 50th wedding anniversary is in two weeks. They live in FL and my brother and I are up in MD and NJ.

I'll be sending them a big, fancy bouquet of roses to congratulate them. My brother was talking about a gift certificate to a place to stay overnight and have a nice dinner. I don't think they would do the overnight thing, but dinner would be great.

We have a tough time determining what is a nice restaurant in the area. (Melbourne FL) You can tell only so much from the internet. I suggested an American Express gift card designated to "enjoy a fancy Champagne Anniversary dinner" in THEIR favorite restaurant.

Between work schedules and family obligations, we can't hop on a plane to visit them right now.

Any other ideas? Did you do something for your out of town parents that worked out well? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 09:55 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,138 times
My parents live out of town, and on their 25th wedding anniversary, my brother and I set up a surprise party for them. We worked with their best friends as far as money goes.. but they set up the rental hall.. catering, dj.. the whole nine yards. It was all hawaiian theme (since they got married in the summer) and we made a video greeting for them to be played on a projection screen. They LOVED it.. and they were really surprised!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:10 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,719 times
50 years that is "Awesome". Makes me want to hug them both.
I like your suggestion about the American express gift card.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
This is a bit of a sad story for me as my father passed away on his 50th wedding anniversary. We were going to have a big party for them.
But the previous October my 3 brothers and 4 sisters got together and had a professional family portrait done. Something my Mother always wanted and never got to have. We were going to present it to them on their 50th in May. But my Father's health worsened and we weren't sure he would make it to Christmas. So we decided to give it to them on Christmas day. He lived on to Spring. We decided to go ahead with the big party but instead of having it on their Anniversary we planned it for the following week when everyone could be home. We took them out to dinner on thier 50th anniversary and my Dad passed away later that night. It's almost as if he was holding out for the day.

But as far as a nice gift; having a professional family portrait is always nice. Or even better yet having a nice oil painting done from a portrait.

What ever you decide I'm sure it will be nice.
Congratulations to your parents!

Old 12-10-2006, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 87,650 times
Congratulations!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
For my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary we held an open house. Planned on doing a surprise party, however one of the aunts suggested that surprises after a certain age aren't always welcomed.

None of the family would have missed it, had folks coming from out of the state as well.

The 50th is quite the mark, especially in this day and age. If there's any way you can change your family obligations and take a day or two off of work, I'd say do it. My dad never lived long enough to see their 50th

Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 AM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
God Bless your heart.
Isn't it funny how it often seems death is 'held off' for certain events? I had the similiar experience with my mother-in-law. She passed away in 2004, the week before Thanksgiving, but at the funeral home, her youngest daughter gave out envelopes to all of the grandchildren - mom already had Christams taken care of, and it was as if she knew what was coming, but was bound and determined to be a part of the Holidays.
It was heart-breaking, but so wonderful for my kids to have their last gift from their grandmother. Both kids opened the envelopes - $5.00 each! - and both of them put it back in the envelope, and have stashed it away in theri memory books.
It certainly made the services a little easier to know mom had planned ahead and was at peace.

I agree with your advice to change plans and make an effort to be there. You just never know, and life is too short to live by wordly obligations. Family should always come first unless there are extenuating circumstaces.

Happy Holidays,
Kimmieyky

Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 20,459 times
Default Wedding Anniversary

You may give portrait painting,Google

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
Adream, there is a very popular restaurant that is about 45 minutes from where they live, in Titusville. It's called Dixie Crossroads and they have outstanding seafood. People come from all over the country to eat there.

It's not pretentious but it's excellent food. If they've lived here for more than a year or so, I'm sure they've heard of it.

Visit their website to check it out. I bet a giftcard there would be unexpected and greatly appreciated.

I'm sure you can arrange something with them to honor their anniversary as well- the owner's name is Clay Townsend and he's very accommodating.

Last edited by pirate girl; 12-08-2007 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: add

Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
My parents 50th wedding anniversary is in two weeks. They live in FL and my brother and I are up in MD and NJ.

I'll be sending them a big, fancy bouquet of roses to congratulate them. My brother was talking about a gift certificate to a place to stay overnight and have a nice dinner. I don't think they would do the overnight thing, but dinner would be great.

We have a tough time determining what is a nice restaurant in the area. (Melbourne FL) You can tell only so much from the internet. I suggested an American Express gift card designated to "enjoy a fancy Champagne Anniversary dinner" in THEIR favorite restaurant.

Between work schedules and family obligations, we can't hop on a plane to visit them right now.

Any other ideas? Did you do something for your out of town parents that worked out well? Thanks for your help!
Well, not to side track...but, the 50th thing is something I am going to be dealing with comes next year April!
But, my circumstances are going to be much different, since I live here in FL, and my family in Germany.
They basically arranged a dinner party, us kids (3) will be paying for (they don't know THAT yet....lol).
Also, us 3 kids (me and 2 older brothers) will put money together to send them on a cruise to the tropics. (They will fly to FL, stay with me and my husband, and we all will go onto the cruise ship.....they feel more comfortable if we would be with them, since they are not familiar with the US (elderly),and don't speak any English.

But, you are on the right track, and I haven't met anyone NOT liking a nice dinner/ restaurant to enjoy.
Maybe you and your sibling should think about going a "bit over the top" (so to speak).......lol....hiring a limo/ car, and sending them off to see a play/ show in, let's say Palm Beach or Orlando, including a fancy dinner there?

I just think, that 50 years is a very, very long time at this day in age to be together....when most couples are getting divorced.
And, my MAIN reason behind my plotting is...I feel bad of what they had to put up with, while us 3 were growing up.
So, all of the sudden, a cruise as an anniversary present didn't seem that bad anymore.......lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics