Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of tree do you prefer?
Artificial tree 36 42.35%
Live tree 17 20.00%
Fresh cut tree 29 34.12%
Wreath only 0 0%
Bah, humbug! 3 3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what everyone's preference is for a Christmas tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 12:40 PM

Nice to see no Bah, humbugs!

Old 12-08-2006, 02:31 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Nice to see no Bah, humbugs!
Careful, the poll is young! If you've seen the movie Three Days of The Condor then picture Faye Dunaway saying it: "The poll is young!"

Implication being, things will change.

Me? Fresh-cut. The live ones are usually wimpy, and if they're not then they're impractical. Artificial? They look artificial. What a surprise. Plus, they don't shed their needles and smell good. I like those familiar aspects of the traditional Christmas tree.

And then there's the fire danger associated with a drying-out cut tree with lights on it, I like that! Ya know? It keeps you alert, keeps you on your game, and I don't want corporations constantly innovating ways for me to live my life without danger. We're all gonna die, stuff happens, let's just be responsible and not count on modern tech to always save us from our stupidity.

Wow, all that opining from a simple poll about Christmas trees.... don't ask me what I think about Iraq unless you've got 3 hours to read my response!

Old 12-08-2006, 02:34 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,151 times
I prefer fresh cut but cannot keep it alive for 30 days!! So alas instead of wasting the 60-90 for a fresh i went and bought a nice artificial.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,330 times
Quote:
Oh, I just read earlier this week that real trees are actually more ecologically friendly as they can be replaced by the replanting. And the scent of Fraiser fir lasts forever. I was pulling out some Christmas decorations and noticed the distinct smell -- started sniffing around and found a part of the tree branch, brown and all, and it still has this wonderful aroma.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Oh, I just read earlier this week that real trees are actually more ecologically friendly as they can be replaced by the replanting.
I was wondering about that. You're talking about cut trees, of course, since the live ones don't need to be replaced! Tree farms do ecological damage, as does ALL agriculture. It's unavoidable. But the artificial trees are made from processes and materials that are ecologically unfriendly. On the other hand, the artificial ones are re-used for many years.

So, how do the scales tip on those two? What did the study say about that, did they consider ALL the different aspects of both types? Remember, every acre of farmed land (most cut trees are farmed) is an acre lost to wilderness and natural habitat. It's not as eco-friendly as it might seem on the surface.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:15 PM

We dug our tree up this year at the tree farm. It is an awesome 4 foot tree that we will plant in the front yard after New Year's. We will decide next year if it is too big to bring back in and if so it will become an outdoor Christmas tree.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I was wondering about that. You're talking about cut trees, of course, since the live ones don't need to be replaced! Tree farms do ecological damage, as does ALL agriculture. It's unavoidable. But the artificial trees are made from processes and materials that are ecologically unfriendly. On the other hand, the artificial ones are re-used for many years.

So, how do the scales tip on those two? What did the study say about that, did they consider ALL the different aspects of both types? Remember, every acre of farmed land (most cut trees are farmed) is an acre lost to wilderness and natural habitat. It's not as eco-friendly as it might seem on the surface.
I honestly don't remember the entire article, but I'll see if I can find it in the Orlando Sentinel online. However, I don't necessarily think all acreage should be wilderness or natural habitat. Otherwise we'd all be in a heck of a fix - or maybe live in trees. I don't see that it's any worse to grow Christmas trees than any other crop. And even with the e-coli threat I do like my veggies!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
...I don't necessarily think all acreage should be wilderness or natural habitat. Otherwise we'd all be in a heck of a fix - or maybe live in trees. I don't see that it's any worse to grow Christmas trees than any other crop.
Of course I agree with you 100%, just raising questions. Tree farms are far less destructive of habitat than a corn or soy field, which is what comprises most of the land in the midwest and south-central Canada.

Problem isn't that we have needs, the problem is that there are too many of us to sustain on this little ball called Earth. But we'll get ours, it's coming soon and our numbers will be reduced one way or another.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:51 PM

47 posts, read 58,580 times
Quote:
A fresh cut tree is the best! When I was growing up my grandparents would load up the grandkids and take us out to a friend's farm and we'd search for the "perfect" tree. I remember how good the house smelled. My mom had a tradition that she continued with us; she popped popcorn and we strung it on thick cord and wrapped the tree in it. It was great fun!

A side note and a good thing: Here in my part of north Texas we have a group that comes and picks up your tree once you're finished with it and they take it to a lake and drop it down for new "habitat" for fish. Kind of giving it back to nature - it's a bass fishing club that sponsors the tree pick-up and it's free and very successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics