Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times

Advertisements

I remember carbon paper! For those who don’t know what it is ~ it provides a copy of the original.

I remember buying a carton of cigarettes for $1.90 in the PX while in the service.

I remember using wax paper on the slide in the playground to make you go faster.

I remember when vacuum tubes were used in radios and tvs and the transistor just came out in a small radio.

I remember when a payphone calls was 10 cents, and phone numbers were only 4 digits.

I remember 8 party farmline telephones.

I remember Ike was voted in as president.

I remember a nickel cup of coffee and a dime for a donut

I remember my older sister’s diary and where she hid the key.

I remember when there was a milkman in town that delivered to your door.

I remember when Campbell’s tomato soup was 9 cents a can.

I remember there were no TV sets.

I remember when none of our neighbors and my family had inside toilets.

I remember when cars didn’t have turn signals.

I remember when ten cents could get you a ride on the bus into town.

I remember when honesty was a value that political and corporate business people had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I remember when children had respect for their parents.
I remember when parents taught their children manners and to be nice.
I remember when shaking a persons hand was as good as a signature.
I remember when a man cussed in front of a woman he apologized.
I remember when you typed on a type writer there was no spell check.
I remember when my mother cooked everything from scratch.
I remember how much fun it was to be a kid and how much fun it still is.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm so old, I remember our first microwave.

I remember TV without a VCR or remote control.

I remember Pong and Atari.

I remember the Flip Wilson show and the Sonny and Cher show.

I remember when Disney was only on Sunday night at 7pm.

I remember when Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons were in prime time.

The first president I remember is Nixon and Watergate.

I remember when my favorite music was The Best of Bread on 8 track.

I remember Esso gas stations.

Well, high-five sister!

Other than that the Best of Bread-reveal, I am with you. Lots more left to remember!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
telex machines.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I remember the typewriters with the manual carriages; you actually had to push a lever to go to the beginning of the next line! And the individual keys would get stuck together because I typed so fast.

I remember 45 records and LPs. I remember 8-track tapes, as brief as that was.

I remember when TV only went to channel 13. If you wanted UHF, you had to use aluminum foil and stand in weird positions to get the signal just right. In fact, I remember TV antennas! After a windstorm turned the antenna around, my father would have to climb on the roof and reposition it.

I remember ugly shag carpet in the 70s. Everyone seemed to have a beanbag chair.

My favorite song when I first started listening to music was "Dark Lady" by Cher, and back then I listened to AM radio exclusively on a really bad little clock radio. I didn't even know there was such a thing as FM!

I remember The Carol Burnett Show, The Odd Couple, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and Land of the Giants. I was madly in love with Marine Boy!

I remember when a couple of freeways were built and opened nearby. I remember my father taking surface streets because there were no freeways at first.

I remember my brother being really good at using a pogo stick. I never could get the hang of it!

I remember the days of analog clocks, analog car odometers, etc. Digital what??

I remember pre-curling irons and hair straighteners, when you had to actually put your hair up in curlers and leave it that way for several hours - or use one of those hair dryers that enveloped your entire head and practically set it on fire.

I remember the shock back in the 70s when gasoline went to 65 cents a gallon!!!

I'm sure there's more, but this is a start.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I’m going to say this only one time because I don’t want tears coming to your eyes.

I remember in the 60’s there was a “gas war” in town and the price per gal. dropped to 9 cents. The state tax on a gal was 10 cents and every time you pumped a gal the station owner lost money having to pay the tax on it.

Normally gas sold for 35 ~ 39 cents a gal then. Please take me back to the good old days!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I remember the typewriters with the manual carriages; you actually had to push a lever to go to the beginning of the next line! And the individual keys would get stuck together because I typed so fast.

I learned to type on a Royal Manual Typewriter! No such thing as electric typewriters.
I remember ugly shag carpet in the 70s.

And everyone had a 'shag rake' you had to rake the carpet so it would stand up!
I remember the shock back in the 70s when gasoline went to 65 cents a gallon!!!

I had a Cadillac when the gasoline prices SKY ROCKETED or so we thought was out of sight inflation at that time and long lines to even get gasoline. Had to get rid of the Caddy and bought a Ford Pinto!!
Those were the days.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
I remember when I used to be able to remember.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I remember when I used to be able to remember.
There's a function on your mobile phone for that.

If I could just remember how to use it!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:33 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I remember wax paper on the slide made you go faster, wow what a blast from my childhood.

I remember in the 70s when gas went up to $1.00 a gallon and my Father almost blew a head gasket over the price.

I remember before fax machines and then when they first came out, normal ones had roles of paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics