Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM

14,785 posts, read 8,123,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Hi, everyone! PatsCats and I did a switcheroo this week, so here I am on hump day.

Unfortunately, after spending more than an hour on the QOTD, as I was on the very last sentence, I lost my connection to Explorer. Now it's my bedtime and I have to start over. So please forgive me if we end up with a shortened version. I had some really good Q's. Darn. Oh well. Let me stop whining and instead let's scroll on down and check out

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

I've always found language and dialects fascinating. I'm curious about some words and phrases some of you all use. When I was shopping for groceries a few hours ago, I started wondering how you all would answer the following questions.

First, I'd like to know: where did you spend your growing-up years (if you moved around, where did you spend the most time)?
Mostly here in Kentucky...I live in Lexington now, but grew up mostly in Louisville.
I was in Connecticut in my preschool years, started school in Miami, also lived in Maryland for a short period of time.

What do you call the place where you usually shop for groceries?
  • market
  • supermarket
  • grocery store
  • store
  • other (specify)
When you shop for groceries, what do you call the wheeled vessel in which you place your grocery items?
  • shopping cart
  • grocery cart
  • grocery basket
  • buggy
  • other (specify)
When you throw something away, what do you call the receptacle in which you place the item?
  • garbage can
  • trash can
  • waste basket
  • garbage bin
  • rubbish bin
  • other (specify)
In 2003, I participated in a [US] national dialect survey through Harvard University. The survey results are still posted online. It's interesting and even humorous at times to read the results. If you're curious, here's a link to the results.

BONUS QUESTIONS

What's your favorite kind of cheese to snack on? Cheddar...but I like most cheeses, so hard choice, that depends mostly on my mood at the time.

Name your favorite snack cracker. Vegetable crackers from the deli

What you would like on your Ritz cracker? Cheese of course!

You have a plate of nacho chips. What would you like on them? Melted Cheese

Buttered popcorn or cheese popcorn?

EXTRA CREDIT Q's

Have you ever seen an egg hatch?

Have you ever seen an animal born?

Have you ever been to a petting zoo?

What baby animal is the cutest? They all are!
I have special place in my heart though for puppies and kittens.

That's it for now, folks. I'm about to fall asleep, so it's time for me to hit the sack. Have a wondrous Wednesday, everyone, and remember to commit an act of kindness.

Happy Hump day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:05 AM

24,486 posts, read 26,028,848 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

I've always found language and dialects fascinating. I'm curious about some words and phrases some of you all use. When I was shopping for groceries a few hours ago, I started wondering how you all would answer the following questions.

First, I'd like to know: where did you spend your growing-up years (if you moved around, where did you spend the most time)?
1st half NE OH
2nd half SW CA.

market
supermarket
grocery store
store
other Store name

When you shop for groceries, what do you call the wheeled vessel in which you place your grocery items?
shopping cart
grocery cart
grocery basket
buggy
other (specify)

When you throw something away, what do you call the receptacle in which you place the item?
garbage can for food waste.
trash can for recyclable stuff.
waste basket
garbage bin
rubbish bin
other (specify)

In 2003, I participated in a [US] national dialect survey through Harvard University. The survey results are still posted online. It's interesting and even humorous at times to read the results. If you're curious, here's a link to the results.
Cool, north bookmarking.

BONUS QUESTIONS

What's your favorite kind of cheese to snack on?
Pepper Jack

Name your favorite snack cracker.
Keebler Original Club

What you would like on your Ritz cracker?
Nothing

You have a plate of nacho chips. What would you like on them?
Salsa picante

EXTRA CREDIT Q's

What baby animal is the cutest?Koalas

That's it for now, folks. I'm about to fall asleep, so it's time for me to hit the sack. Have a wondrous Wednesday, everyone, and remember to commit an act of kindness.

Thanx Pam, hope you slept well.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:06 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Hi, everyone! PatsCats and I did a switcheroo this week, so here I am on hump day.

Unfortunately, after spending more than an hour on the QOTD, as I was on the very last sentence, I lost my connection to Explorer. Now it's my bedtime and I have to start over. So please forgive me if we end up with a shortened version. I had some really good Q's. Darn. Oh well. Let me stop whining and instead let's scroll on down and check out

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

First, I'd like to know: where did you spend your growing-up years (if you moved around, where did you spend the most time)? St. Louis Co., MO

market
supermarket
grocery
store. store*
other (specify)
shopping cart
grocery cart [color="blue"]*[/COLOR]
grocery basket
buggy
other (specify)
garbage can
trash can *
waste basket
garbage bin
rubbish bin
other (specify)

BONUS QUESTIONS

What's your favorite kind of cheese to snack on? I do like Kerrygold’s Sweer Cheddar. I also like Catamount Hills.

Name your favorite snack cracker. Tricuit, original

What you would like on your Ritz cracker? Homemade pimiento cheese, please

You have a plate of nacho chips. What would you like on them? I am not a big fan of nachos.

Buttered popcorn or cheese popcorn? Buttered, but I don’t eat popcorn these days.

EXTRA CREDIT Q's

Have you ever seen an egg hatch? No

Have you ever seen an animal born? No

What baby animal is the cutest?

You might try composing in Word, and then dropping the doc into CD. Just a thought. Your questions were interesting. Have a great day!

Old 06-06-2018, 01:46 PM

12,375 posts, read 2,975,713 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

First, I'd like to know: where did you spend your growing-up years (if you moved around, where did you spend the most time)? Texas

• market
  • supermarket
  • grocery store This
  • store
  • other (specify)
  • shopping cart This or just cart.
  • grocery cart
  • grocery basket
  • buggy
  • other (specify)
  • garbage can
  • trash can This
  • waste basket
  • garbage bin
  • rubbish bin
  • other (specify)

BONUS QUESTIONS
What's your favorite kind of cheese to snack on? Cheddar

Name your favorite snack cracker. Don't have one.

What you would like on your Ritz cracker? Someone else can have my Ritz.

You have a plate of nacho chips. What would you like on them? Just cheese

Buttered popcorn or cheese popcorn? Neither.

EXTRA CREDIT Q's

Have you ever seen an egg hatch? Not in person.

Have you ever seen an animal born? Yes.

Have you ever been to a petting zoo? Many times.

What baby animal is the cutest? All of them.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:14 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,547 times
Evenin' all!

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Native Hoosier (Indiana), and lifelong "Region Rat" (northwest Indiana).

market
supermarket
grocery store < Sometimes this
store < Sometimes this
other (specify)

shopping cart
grocery cart
grocery basket
buggy
other (specify) Usually just "cart."

garbage can
trash can
waste basket
garbage bin
rubbish bin
other (specify) Usually just "garbage."

Very interesting. I pretty much fall within the Chicago area dialect. No surprise there!

BONUS QUESTIONS
What's your favorite kind of cheese to snack on?
Yes. I'll say cheddar.

Name your favorite snack cracker.
Triscuit, or Keebler Club.

What you would like on your Ritz cracker?
Cream cheese with chives and onion!

You have a plate of nacho chips. What would you like on them?
I'd love to dip them in refried beans with red sauce and Chihuahua cheese!

Buttered! Excessively!

EXTRA CREDIT Q's

Not completely. I was in an elementary school field trip to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry and we were passing by the chick hatching area. We didn't stay long enough to see an egg hatch completely.

I have not.

Oh sure! It's one of my favorite places! As long as the animals aren't terrified. I've seen that!

What baby animal is the cutest?
Most of them! I'll pick baby otters. This time.

Have a wondrous Wednesday, everyone, and remember to commit an act of kindness.
You too Pam! Thanx for the Qs and for swapping days with me this week. I'm sorry you had computer issues.
Have a good one everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics