Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times

Advertisements

I just posted this in my local thread, but was interested in what y'all think...

I have a question I hope someone here can answer for me.

While bringing a neighbors daughter to preschool today at a local church, I overheard a job interview being conducted. Me being the nosy type had to listen for a moment and this is what I overheard...

person 1: So what denomination are you?
person 2: Christian
person 1: How often do you attend church services?
person 2: I try to attend at least 2 times a month. It depends on our work schedules.
person 1: So you are not devout?
person 2: I am not following where this line of questioning is going. I would love to take a few minutes to go over my certifications, training, and experience though.
person 1: Thanks you for your time. Those are all of the questions I have for you today.

And I watched this young professional women walk out madder than a hornet. Is this possibly at all legal? Even for a church? It is a small local preschool program. I do not think I would want my child attending this place and am not sure if I should even mention it to my neighbor...who by the way wants to apply for the same job there.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I am not looking to start a religion war, but would like to know...Can they ask those types of questions in an interview? Isn't that being discriminated upon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 02:18 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
yes that is discrimination, you cant be fired or hired based on religion or race or sex. She had a right to be mad, they should be more worried about her qualifications than church attendence, going to church doesnt make you a better person!! ( as seen in the news)

Old 12-12-2006, 02:23 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
If she's applying to a church that is clearly a believing body, and she's more lukewarm and can't even name a denomination, then I have no problem with a church asking her probing questions about her beliefs...it's a "church". This isn't a non-religious institution. The same thing could be said if she were a fundamentalist Christian, devout, and applied for a job at a mosque...would you expect them to hire her? Would it be illegal discrimination if they didn't? What if they hired her, but demanded she wear the hijab and not speak to men directly...would that be legal? What if the applicant were Anton LeVey, now deceased head of the Church of Satan...would it be discriminatory to state the obvious...he wouldn't belong there? How about an applicant who's a Wiccan, has all the job requirement background experience, but isn't a Christian and is pagan? Would it be discriminatory for a Christian church to not hire a witch for the position?
I wouldn't get my knickers in a wad if I were that woman and just accept she's not the person they're looking for.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:30 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Naw

About like expecting some employer to hire a mortician for a welders job.

Hey, Babe, you ain't qualified, get over it.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:30 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
Let me add something I forgot the first post...this is a preschool for 2, 3 and 4 year olds. Almost all preschool programs here are offered through local churches.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
No, churches are not corporations or government institutions. They have a right to know your church-going history, beliefs, etc etc. She needs to get over it...

Old 12-12-2006, 02:36 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
I agree, MoMark. She's applying at a church. There's nothing wrong with asking about her level of commitment.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Nope no different

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
Let me add something I forgot the first post...this is a preschool for 2, 3 and 4 year olds. Almost all preschool programs here are offered through local churches.
Still ain't qualified. They want a particular blend of product. The job requires a specific set of beliefs, actions, habits, lifestyle as part of the qualifications.

It is discrimination if all other applicants have a particular belief, other qualities and are not hired for some other reasons like gender, race, age.

She just lacks the qualifications as a complete package.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
dandevder, I get that, having my child in a Christian Preschool and also living here in NC. They teach Christian values. How can a person who does not believe strongly in Christianity, teach it to our children?

Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Oh geez just because she doesnt attend church four times a month does not make her unqualified or satan for that matter, she believes, I do and I dont go to church , I follow faith at home. For all we know she is a highly trained and qualified teacher. Boy there were some catholic priests out there that conducted church every sunday and more and we found out they are morally bankrupt!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics