Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:15 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,769,338 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all! Good morning to you as well!

Welcome to Wednesday’s Questions.

On this birthday of the United States, today’s theme is “birthday party!”

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever worked somewhere that the establishment observed employee birthdays? If so, how did they observe the birthdays? How do you feel about observing the birthdays of co-workers on your lunch (or other) break? Do you feel different about it if you are not friends with that co-worker? Everywhere I have worked did the same thing, monthly celebration of all birthdays that month. It was usually held on the day of the mandatory staff meeting.

Bonus Question(s):
What flavor fantasy birthday cake would you like, and what would you like on and with it? Include everything you like about cake, even ice cream, sprinkles, whatever. It’s your cake! vanilla cake with coconut icing and a cherry on top made by my Aunt Madie.

Just for fun:
Have you ever received any of the following as party favors:
candy?
nuts?
pencil and small notebook?
personalized tokens?
tealight candles?
key rings/chains?
handmade items?
selection of tea bags?
seed starter kits?
other?small toys, whistles, etc.

Synonyms:
for “party;” blast, blowout, gala, hoopla, merriment

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1895 Katherine Lee Bates publishes "America the Beautiful"
Birthday: 1776 What would become the United States of America
Science/Technology: 2013 In Brazil, scientists discover a new species of lizard, about the size a coin and weighing less than a gram
Sports: 2004 Wimbledon Men's Finals, Roger Federer beat Andy Roddick

Today Is:
Barbecue Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence From Meat Day
Jackfruit Day
Spareribs Day

Quote of the Day:
I will leave you today, not with a quote, but with this song from me to you. All of you. No matter where you live. For your land and for mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OxSYe8_e4Y

Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day! And if you’re celebrating near festivities, fireworks, and freaks , please be safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 10:15 AM

38,951 posts, read 22,954,621 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever worked somewhere that the establishment observed employee birthdays? Yes.

If so, how did they observe the birthdays? There would be one party for all employees having birthdays for that particular month.

How do you feel about observing the birthdays of co-workers on your lunch (or other) break? It's OK. Everyone is there to have a good time.

Do you feel different about it if you are not friends with that co-worker? See above.^^^

Bonus Question(s):
What flavor fantasy birthday cake would you like, and what would you like on and with it? Include everything you like about cake, even ice cream, sprinkles, whatever. It’s your cake! Many years ago, I had a really delicious chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting, and the frosting itself had chocolate chips. I haven't had it since and wouldn't mind having it again.

Just for fun:
candy?
nuts?
personalized tokens?
tealight candles?
key rings/chains?
handmade items?
selection of tea bags?
seed starter kits?
other?
I never received any of these. Maybe I've been going to the wrong parties?

Happy 4th of July!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 AM

24,516 posts, read 26,059,340 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever worked somewhere that the establishment observed employee birthdays?
Birthdays were by department only.

If so, how did they observe the birthdays?
Just cake and cards, kept it simple.

How do you feel about observing the birthdays of co-workers on your lunch (or other) break?
Not a problem unless I was in the middle of something important.

Do you feel different about it if you are not friends with that co-worker?
Never gave it a thought.

Bonus Question(s):
What flavor fantasy birthday cake would you like, and what would you like on and with it? Include everything you like about cake, even ice cream, sprinkles, whatever. It’s your cake!
A simple strawberry ice cream cake works for me.

Just for fun:
candy?
nuts?

personalized tokens?
tealight candles?
key rings/chains?
handmade items?
selection of tea bags?
seed starter kits?
other?

Thanx PatsCats, have a great 4th.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever worked somewhere that the establishment observed employee birthdays?
Yes, years ago one of the supervisors would announce who had a birthday during the morning meetings.

If so, how did they observe the birthdays?
Usually just a box of donuts and coffee. Guys don't expect too much and usually enjoy a simple donut or two.

How do you feel about observing the birthdays of co-workers on your lunch (or other) break?
It's ok but not needed.

Do you feel different about it if you are not friends with that co-worker?
No..........

Bonus Question(s):
What flavor fantasy birthday cake would you like, and what would you like on and with it?
German chocolate

Include everything you like about cake, even ice cream, sprinkles, whatever. It’s your cake!
Just cut it and enjoy it.

Just for fun:
candy? nuts? pencil and small notebook?personalized tokens?tealight candles?key
rings/chains?handmade items?selection of tea bags?seed starter kits?other?
I remember years ago when the guys in the neighborhood all met at a garage and sat around watching a football game on tv while drinking beer from a keg. After the game was over and the keg was getting lower someone thought that throwing the tools at each other would be nice. I got a hammer that was nice but tossed it back at one of the other neighbors living down the block. Those party favors didn't workout well for the most of the guys. I don't think there was ever another garage party in the neighborhood after that................

Old 07-04-2018, 03:18 PM

21,574 posts, read 8,749,478 times

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever worked somewhere that the establishment observed employee birthdays? If so, how did they observe the birthdays? How do you feel about observing the birthdays of co-workers on your lunch (or other) break? Do you feel different about it if you are not friends with that co-worker?
No, birthdays were not officially observed by the company, but there were sometimes birthday parties organized by employees with cake and ice cream.

Bonus Question(s):
What flavor fantasy birthday cake would you like, and what would you like on and with it? Include everything you like about cake, even ice cream, sprinkles, whatever. It’s your cake!
Devil's food with fudge mocha frosting and a big scoop of premium vanilla ice cream. That is my idea of heaven.

Just for fun:
candy?
nuts?
personalized tokens?
tealight candles?
key rings/chains?
handmade items?
selection of tea bags?
seed starter kits?
other?
Just candy or maybe a small, cheap toy. Back in my day, children's birthday parties weren't the blowout extravaganza of conspicuous consumption that they are now.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 07-04-2018, 04:24 PM

9,736 posts, read 14,290,471 times
[quote=PatsCats;52389245][b]Mornin' all!

Welcome to Wednesday’s Questions.

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever worked somewhere that the establishment observed employee birthdays? No If so, how did they observe the birthdays? How do you feel about observing the birthdays of co-workers on your lunch (or other) break? Do you feel different about it if you are not friends with that co-worker?It's been a long while since I have been in one of those "group working environments". But, thinking back, we never knew when it was someone else's birthday. The work environment was one thing, and our personal lives were another.....suited me just fine.

Bonus Question(s):
What flavor fantasy birthday cake would you like, and what would you like on and with it? Include everything you like about cake, even ice cream, sprinkles, whatever. It’s your cake! Strawberry short cake, homemade by me

Just for fun:
candy?
nuts?
personalized tokens?
tealight candles?
key rings/chains?
handmade items?
selection of tea bags?
seed starter kits?
other?
No

Thanks Pats Cats! We are able to see the fireworks in the sky, from our upstairs bedroom windows.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:40 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,617,291 times
Evenin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever worked somewhere that the establishment observed employee birthdays? If so, how did they observe the birthdays? How do you feel about observing the birthdays of co-workers on your lunch (or other) break? Do you feel different about it if you are not friends with that co-worker?
Almost everywhere I've worked the departments observed birthdays. Usually just with donuts or an appropriately sized cake, and a card signed by everyone in the department, observed during morning break. I just wish the people who were outwardly nasty to me didn't sign my birthday cards. Or sign them "I don't like you." At least it would be honest. If I didn't like someone I didn't feel obligated to sign their card at all.

Bonus Question(s):
While it's not my actual favorite cake, I do have an appreciation for a hot chewy brownie with vanilla ice cream, all drizzled with chocolate syrup and hidden under a cloud of whipped cream. I usually save that for when I feel like I've made some good dietary choices for a while.

Just for fun:
candy? Yep
nuts? Yep
pencil and small notebook? Yep. I have geeky friends.
personalized tokens?
tealight candles? Yep
key rings/chains?
handmade items? Yep
selection of tea bags?
seed starter kits? No. And with my friends I'm still trying to figure that out.
other?

Synonyms:
for “party;” blast, blowout, gala, hoopla, merriment Woo hoo!

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1895 Katherine Lee Bates publishes "America the Beautiful"
Birthday: 1776 What would become the United States of America
Science/Technology: 2013 In Brazil, scientists discover a new species of lizard, about the size a coin and weighing less than a gram
Sports: 2004 Wimbledon Men's Finals, Roger Federer beat Andy Roddick

Today Is:
Barbecue Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence From Meat Day
Jackfruit Day If you've never eaten it, it tastes like very mild pineapple. And you can make shredded "meat" dishes with it, like "pulled pork," or BBQ.
Spareribs Day I remember those...

Quote of the Day:
I will leave you today, not with a quote, but with this song from me to you. All of you. No matter where you live. For your land and for mine.
That song can make me cry.
Peace to all of you.

Thanx again everyone.
Have a good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics