Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday August 6, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ?
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ?

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ?

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ?
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ?
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ?

Just for Fun:
Don’t mean this seriously, only humorously…your answer doesn’t actually need to be for an existing food competition item.
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ?

Today in History:
1825: Bolivia (Republic of Bolivar, now Plurinational State of Bolivia) declares independence from Spain
1926: 20-year-old Gertrude “Trudy” Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel (time: 14 hrs., 34 mins.)
1940: Birth of actress Louise Sorel (Days of Our Lives)
1950: Birth of actor Dorian Harewood (The Jesse Owens Story)
1951: Birth of actress Catherine Hicks (7th Heaven)
1962: Birth of actress Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
1965: President Lyndon B. Johnson signs into law federal civil rights legislation, The Voting Rights Act

Today’s Word:
polity /ˈpälədē/ (n.): A form, process, or system of government; a political group, organization, faction or entity.

Today Is:
Assistance Dog Day
National Root Beer Float Day

-this week is-
National Bargain Hunting Week
-this month is-
National Read A Romance Novel Month
Rye (the grain) Month
Bystander Awareness Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper left-

Thought for the Day:
“Inspiration is good, but inspiration combined with action is so much better."
-Chris Guillebeau

Wishing all y’all a first Monday in August that neither inflicts sweltering nor induces shivering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:09 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Today’s Question:
Anything. Always up for a bargain. It's like a game and it's fun to win.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ?
Many times. For instance, a great jacket for $25 that is worth much more.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online ?
Seldom.

Bonus:
Own a swimsuit, but have done both.
Funny you should ask these the same day because my CD profile pic is of me skinny dipping.
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ?
Bit of both. Or diving is fun.
Just swimming.

Just for Fun:
Don’t mean this seriously, only humorously…your answer doesn’t actually need to be for an existing food competition item.
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ?
"I could eat __pizza or chocolate_____ competitively."

Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on?
CBD oil and cannabis
Yes, last weekend the owner of a plant store gave me a big discount on a tillandsia and threw in a plastic lizard for no extra charge.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ?
Not very often. About once a year or so.
Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim?
I have two swimsuits, one solid black and one navy with striped trim.
It's mostly laps, and I like to practice each of the different strokes I know how to do (crawl, backstroke, side stroke, butterfly).
Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it?
Serlously no, but for fun I'll say s'mores.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 08-06-2018, 02:40 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? just sale items in general if I’m shopping
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? much of the food we bought in Toronto this weekend seemed very reasonably priced - particularly because it’s supposed to be an expensive City.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? i don’t - just use the generic icon

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? i have a suit but haven’t gone swimming in the newest one
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ? been ages but it was mostly aimless - just being in the water
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? no but swimming is a great low impact excercise.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? carbs - chips, bread, rice...

Wishing all y’all a first Monday in August that neither inflicts sweltering nor induces shivering thank you!

Old 08-06-2018, 02:49 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Good morning cloven and all.

Today’s Question:

Clothes, via internet- hardly any decent shops for that round here.

Got a couple of shirts sent here last week. Half price in the sale and very reasonable delivery costs. Took three days from placing order to arriving in our mail box.

Extra Credit:

Hardly at all.
Bonus:

I've got a couple of swim trunks for use in the pool.

Not really, but we do walk lengths for exercise.

Just for Fun:

I wouldn't do it for real but I am partial to chocolatines- pain au chocolat!

Thanks cloven.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:28 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Today’s Question:

Amazon.com is where all the bargains are.

I'll be buying a new computer in the near future. All computers on my "wish list" that I have picked out the vendors ship for free.

My last purchase from Amazon was 3 king size sheet sets. All were significantly less than department store prices.

Extra Credit:
- Only City-Data, changed about 3 years ago.

Bonus:
- Haven't been in about 10-12 years or so...
Never used regular clothing in the past.

If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ? - Latter, usually. I have done laps in a pool before...

Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? - No

Just for Fun:
- No answer here...

Thanks, cloven!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:29 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,686 times

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ?................Anything and everything. I love to shop.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ?.............I’m always getting cute clothing and shoes on sale.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ?.................Never, since I don’t post personal photos or information.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ?.................I’ve not swan for several years. When I do swim I wear a swim suit.
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ?............I would if I had a pool.
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ?.........No

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ?.............Nothing for me. Competitive eating totally disgusts me.

Today in History:
1825: Bolivia (Republic of Bolivar, now Plurinational State of Bolivia) declares independence from Spain
1926: 20-year-old Gertrude “Trudy” Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel (time: 14 hrs., 34 mins.)
1965: President Lyndon B. Johnson signs into law federal civil rights legislation, The Voting Rights Act

Today’s Word:
polity /ˈpälədē/ (n.): A form, process, or system of government; a political group, organization, faction or entity.

Today Is:
Assistance Dog Day
............I can’t stand root beer.
-this week is-
National Bargain Hunting Week..................Maybe I better go shopping.
-this month is-
National Read A Romance Novel Month.........
Rye (the grain) Month

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Chris Guillebeau

Wishing all y’all a first Monday in August that neither inflicts sweltering nor induces shivering

Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 AM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ?.....mostly food items
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ?.....butter and it was a good price

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ?.....never

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ?...yes I have a swimsuit
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ?...just for fun these days
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ?.never

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ?......no I would feel so sick eating food like that

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Assistance Dog Day

-this week is-
National Bargain Hunting Week
-this month is-
National Read A Romance Novel Month
Rye (the grain) Month

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Chris Guillebeau

THANK YOU cloven

Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,848 times
Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? Most things. I do always check the sales racks when shopping for clothes.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? I get bargains when shopping at thrift stores. I'm dropping off some things today and will probably quickly look around.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? Never posted a profile pic

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? I have a swimsuit. Also have a wet suit.
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? Have done

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? Since it's meant only humorously.... cheesecake sounds good this morning.

Today’s Word:

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Chris Guillebeau

Wishing all y’all a first Monday in August that neither inflicts sweltering nor induces shivering Thanks, cloven!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:25 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on?
Winter gear; bedding; clothes; shoes; towels...
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain - if so, was it long ago or recently?
Winter coats and boots this past March

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member)?
I don't have anything to change since I do not participate in social media sites and I do not have a profile picture here on c-d.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim?
I have one packed away somewhere.
If you swim - is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way?
Both, but not for awhile.
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise?
A long time ago and I would like to do that again.

Just for Fun:
Don’t mean this seriously, only humorously… your answer doesn’t actually need to be for an existing food competition item.
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it? No thanks!

Thanks cloven! Groovy and safe day wishes everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlW4bEjB5A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics