Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ?

Don't like to shop and am not likely to comparison shop. Know what I need and buy it. If I liked to shop, it would be more about "want" than "need" and if I did that, I'd probably be more apt to look for sales or discounts because I'd recognize a good deal from doing more shopping.

Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? Don't recall.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ?
Not on any.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ?
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ?
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ?

Don't swim anymore.

Just for Fun:
Don’t mean this seriously, only humorously…your answer doesn’t actually need to be for an existing food competition item.
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ?
No. Would probably get sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:36 AM

7,380 posts, read 5,495,300 times
Happy Monday August 6, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.[/i][b]

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? Everything
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? A pair of sandals I thought were a good deal.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? Hardly ever

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? I own a swimsuit
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ? Swimming around
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? Yes, yesterday I did a water Zumba class.

Just for Fun:
Don’t mean this seriously, only humorously…your answer doesn’t actually need to be for an existing food competition item.
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? Pringle potato chips.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 AM

38,950 posts, read 22,954,621 times
I landed on my second-favorite slot.

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? Just about anything but especially groceries and clothing.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? Yes, I recently purchased a suit jacket in new condition for only $10.00.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? Very seldom.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? I have one swimsuit. I've never used regular clothing for swimming.
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ? Mostly treading water in the shallow end, since I really don't know how to swim properly.
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? No, but maybe I'll try it once I'm retired.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? First thing that comes to mind is Hershey's kisses or M&Ms.

Have a great start to the new week!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:39 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Happy Monday August 6, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? I recently found deodorant for less than $2 a stick, and I bought several. I am an opportunistic shopper. If I find a staple product at discount I’ll buy extras. I like specials on canned beans and canned tomatoes, but only certain brands. When I shop for clothing, I always begin at the sale rack. And I will take advantage of sale prices or specials when I do nternet ordering.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? Deodorant. See above.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? I haven’t changed mine in awhile.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? I own a swimsuit.
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ?
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? No.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? I’ve recently discovered dried cheese snacks! Ever tried Cheese Moons? If my stomach would allow it, I could devour a lot of the cheddar “moons.”

Today in History:
1825: Bolivia (Republic of Bolivar, now Plurinational State of Bolivia) declares independence from Spain
1926: 20-year-old Gertrude “Trudy” Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel (time: 14 hrs., 34 mins.)
1940: Birth of actress Louise Sorel (Days of Our Lives)
1950: Birth of actor Dorian Harewood (The Jesse Owens Story)
1951: Birth of actress Catherine Hicks (7th Heaven)
1962: Birth of actress Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
1965: President Lyndon B. Johnson signs into law federal civil rights legislation, The Voting Rights Act

Today’s Word:
polity /ˈpälədē/ (n.): A form, process, or system of government; a political group, organization, faction or entity. Good word. I like that you include the pronunciation. I wonder if you could include the sounded word in your word entries?

Today Is:
Assistance Dog Day
National Root Beer Float Day
-this week is-
National Bargain Hunting Week
-this month is-
National Read A Romance Novel Month
Rye (the grain) Month
Bystander Awareness Month What in the world?

Thanks for the questions, Cloven, and have a marvelous week!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:03 AM

3,083 posts, read 1,688,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
[color=darkred]Happy Monday August 6, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.[b]

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? Laundry soap, certain clothes.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? Yes, a pair of good leather motorcycle chaps for only $20 (Craigslist).

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? Rarely. When I was on Facebook I did change it fairly often.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? Swimsuits.
I have a one-piece and a bikini.

Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? Only once but it was fun.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? Chips 'n' a good spicy salsa, mashed potatoes, potato chips.

Wishing all y’all a first Monday in August that neither inflicts sweltering nor induces shivering
Thanks, Cloven!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:39 AM

24,512 posts, read 26,059,340 times
Today’s Question:
Electronic toys for boys.

Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ?
Recently

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ?
Never

Bonus:
I have one and I have also used regular clothing.

No

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ?
Currently it would be ice cream.

Thanx Cloven for the Q's.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:34 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? Pretty much everything.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? Yes, frozen crab cakes on a good sale!

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? Every few months. Sometimes longer.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? I own four or five swimsuits.
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ? I just swim around, tread water, float, bob on the waves if in the ocean
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? Yes, some years ago in a class i took at a gym. It felt silly but fun.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? Candy corn. And then I would be sick for days.

Today in History:

1926: 20-year-old Gertrude “Trudy” Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel (time: 14 hrs., 34 mins.)

ETA: I knew Trudy Ederle when she was in her 90s. She became my grandmother's roommate at the nursing home in which they both resided in Wyckoff, NJ. This was in 1999/2000/2001.

In her room she had a photo of herself waving during her ticker tape parade in NYC after she swam the Channel. She also had her Olympic gold medals from her participation as part of the US Relay team in 1924. Sport Illustrated visited and interviewed her for their end-of-the-century issue. I brought some of my Girl Scouts in to meet her, and she told them what the swim was like.

My grandmother died in late 2001 at 94, and Trudy died a few years after my grandmother, at 97, IIRC.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-06-2018 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Added note about Trudy Ederle

Old 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,816,297 times
[quote=cloven;52713554]Happy Monday August 6, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? Probably clothing and shoes.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ?
A long time ago now.
Extra Credit:
Never.
Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? I have three swim suits.
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ? It's to play with the 6 year old.
Have you done “water aerobics” for exercise ? No.

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? Popcorn.

Today in History:
1825: Bolivia (Republic of Bolivar, now Plurinational State of Bolivia) declares independence from Spain
1965: President Lyndon B. Johnson signs into law federal civil rights legislation, The Voting Rights Act

Today’s Word:
polity /ˈpälədē/ (n.): A form, process, or system of government; a political group, organization, faction or entity.

Today Is:
Assistance Dog Day

-this week is-
-this month is-
Rye (the grain) Month
Bystander Awareness Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper left-

Thought for the Day:
“Inspiration is good, but inspiration combined with action is so much better."
-Chris Guillebeau

Wishing all y’all a first Monday in August that neither inflicts sweltering nor induces shivering

Thanks Cloven. It's hot here with a nice thunder storm this morning that woke me up early.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:21 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,617,291 times
Afternoon all!

Today’s Question:
Everything! Especially higher priced items.
I have! I recently shopped at a bargain store and brought home three times as much for the same price as other stores. Their inventory is somewhat limited however, and I do have to shop elsewhere for specific brands and some specialty items.

Extra Credit:
Not very often. When I find something I like I stick with it until I stumble on something I might like better.

Bonus:
I own a swim suit. Where it might be is anyone's guess. I may have left it in a bathroom on a vacation somewhere.
Nothing I do is organized.
I have not. No special reason.

Just for Fun:
Pizza!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
polity /ˈpälədē/ (n.): A form, process, or system of government; a political group, organization, faction or entity.

Today Is:
Assistance Dog Day
-this week is-
-this month is-
Rye (the grain) Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper left-
Ooooooh! I've missed these! This one is especially cool!

Thought for the Day:
“Inspiration is good, but inspiration combined with action is so much better."
-Chris Guillebeau

Back at cha cloven. Thanx for the Qs and the maze.
Have a pleasant Monday everyone!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:36 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,401,055 times
Happy A"mazing" Monday!

Today’s Question:
What, if any, sorts of products do you look for sales or discounts on ? When I buy my cosmetics I only buy them when they are offering a bonus gift.
Have you made a purchase that seemed like a bargain-if so, was it long ago or recently ? Just went to NH yesterday--whew! No bargains at the Juried Craft Fair--but I certainly bought some nice things.

Extra Credit:
How often do you change your online profile picture or cover photo online (at whichever social media site or forum/board, of which you are a member) ? Whenever I have a new photo that I like. Will probably change the one I have today with a photo that was taken yesterday.

Bonus:
Do you own a swimsuit, or do you use regular clothing in which to swim ? I have one from years ago, I never use it.
If you swim-is it mostly laps, or mostly swimming around in a non-organized way ? Not fond of the water

Just for Fun:
Is there a food you feel like you could eat “competitively”, because it seems you can just eat handful after handful of it ? Not food----but I could possibly do well with glasses of Merlot or Cabernet! Although after a few I would be done!

Today Is:
Assistance Dog Day Those dogs amaze me

-this week is-
-this month is-
Rye (the grain) Month

Today’s Picture:
Nice maze! Love the colors!

Wishing all y’all a first Monday in August that neither inflicts sweltering nor induces shivering Sweltering here... But hey, it is not raining! Have a super evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics