U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 06:20 AM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 280,787 times

Advertisements

Consider the terms "pig" and "pork" in modern English.

"Pig" refers to animals with whom farmers associate. "Pork" refers to the meat humans consume. The class dimension is evident. "Pig" is the old Saxon word, since the Saxons were the underprivileged farmers. "Pork," on the other hand, comes from the French "porque," used by the privileged Norman conquerers who mostly ingested the pigs raised by farmers.

The use of the terms as verbs introduces further nuances into the analysis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 AM

34,968 posts, read 37,571,863 times
Ettymology is right innaresting, aint it? However I dont see you thowed out no proposition. Are you simply musing, Sr(a) Quixote, or looking to brawl amid the petunia beds?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:36 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,039,412 times
You're just now learning this Bohemian Enigma?

Etymology is fascinating. I used to illustrate that very point with the HS SRs I had in my British Literature classes. Close to the end of one period, the students had to begin reading the background of the next, and several mornings before I would begin covering the invasion of the Normans with them in class, I would purposefully be late -- come running down the hallway to the room, screaming, "The Normans are coming! The Normans are coming!"

After closing the door, I would remind them to be reading the background.

On the morning before I'd begin the new section, I'd tell them I hoped they were reading, and preparing, for class -- that I expected them to come to class properly prepared, with their French dress, French manners, and language, if they expected to be successful from here on out.

The next morning, their assignment is on the overhead, in French, and I will only respond to them in French. Eventually, some kid catches on, and clues the others in, and we begin a discussion of the changes the Normans brought to England.

To the Normans, the poor Saxons were the swine. You are exactly right.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:10 PM

Bohemian Enigma, RDSLOTS's post put your post into perspective for me. I apologize for being rude. My excuse is I'd just come from the Politics forum and was expecting belligerence at every turn.

Carry on, and I sincerely do apologize

Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,039,412 times
Default I didn't see it that way

Delusianne, you need to stay off that pole-ee-ticks forum.

Actually, I thought your post was pretty funny. I can't speak for Bohemian Enigma. He may have taken offense to mine. And to be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure if Bohemian Enigma wasn't trying to get a rise out of us.

Sad thing about Forums. You just never really know how someone may take something.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:42 PM

I know...and we get so invested, at least I do. It's not as if we're paid to be here.

But I guess it's good exercise

Whar y'at, Bohemian Enigma?

Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM

28,782 posts, read 45,050,881 times
So you can have a pig in a poke, but not a pork in a poke?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,991,336 times
How about a pig in a blanket? lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics