Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:24 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times

Advertisements

Well if you're sitting talking on a cell phone and using a laptop and you have a an IPOD strapped to your arm, you can go bath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I am sorry you are sitting in the library next to someone whose smell you find so offensive, ChicagoRon. My suggestion might be to move.

Some people do not have access to hygiene that others of us here in the states do. After repeated complaints about a child who came to the JR HS, stinking, every day, some of us sat with the boy only to learn there was no running water in the home, his mother was an alcoholic who did not take the children's clothes to a laundromat, and he really was doing the best he knew how. The coaches brought in some clothes for the fellow, and when he arrived on campus in the mornings, he had permission to go to the locker rooms, shower, and change before classes.

Interestingly enough, some cultures find the way, we, Americans, smell as 'offensive,' due largely to the chemicals and perfumes in our products. After an Asian friend explained it to me, I could see what she was talking about -- one scent in our soaps, another in the shampoo, the chlorine in the water, then it was fabric softener on the towel, deodorant, hairspray, toothpaste, mouthwash, the smell of detergent in our clothes, and any other grooming products we choose to use, and perfume.

I recall feeling 'offended' myself, at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I wondered just what we must smell like to others of a different culture.

Have you heard of tolerance? Furthermore, what you are asking of folks, is to bathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Not necessarily. You make an assumption here, don't you think? Could be that your smell was just as offensive to the other, ChicagoRon. BTW, what did you do?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
One thing about the library is that it is a public place and anyone can go there. Libraries have to have policies to keep it a safe, comfortable place for normal library patrons. An interesting project when you are not too busy would be to check out the library policies posted on individual library websites.

We had a policy about sleeping in our library. It came from having so many homeless who came in and used the library for naptime. We also had to check every day to make sure nobody stayed the night. That duty could be a little scary, but somebody had to do it.

My daughters home library has a policy against offensive odors. Maybe you should suggest that your library get a policy like this. I stopped wearing perfume when I discovered how many people are offended by it.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Maybe I was a little more harsh than needed to be, but was thinking back on a couple of people Ive known in my life who simply did stink (to put it bluntly) and just did not want to make the effort to really do anything about it. One was a guy I worked with. He was so into 'health' that he was afraid some anti-perspirant would be bad for you...he made every effort to not eat, wear, use anything that might 'be bad' for you, yet he was one big walking glob shedding his greasy hair, scars all over his arms and legs that would not go away, shakey hands, how can he be 'healthy'?
There may not be set standards for different cultures in this country, as far as hygiene goes, or those who actually have means to attempt to try. But then, theres no set standard that says we have to get too close to those who dont have any consideration for others. The world turns..

Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Good point, LiveWire. In a case like what you describe, I just turn myself around and go in the other direction.

Here. Step into my shoes.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,856,131 times
My father contracted Malaria while serving in WWII. Ever since he had a very odd odor. I always thought he was just stinky until years later one of my professors said he could smell a person and tell if they had ever had malaria.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Whenever I have to go out among the stinking masses, I take a perfumed silk handkerchief out of my lace shirt cuff and hold it to my nose.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Whenever I have to go out among the stinking masses, I take a perfumed silk handkerchief out of my lace shirt cuff and hold it to my nose.
are you a 19th century lady? lol

Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
I know a woman very well who is educated, has access to money, a bath, shower the works! For some odd reason she will go several months without bathing. During the summer it can be unbearable especially since she is a plus size. She will however, bathe if she has a doctors appointment or has to attend a special function outside of family. I wonder sometimes if it is a physcological thing since she doesn't have to work and spends most of her days sleeping and watching T.V. Depression isn't a factor. Unfortunately, I believe that for her laziness is.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 798 times
Default Religion

Don't know if many people are aware that some refuse to bathe because somewhere in the bible it says it's a bad idea. See [url=http://www.ilmatar.net/~np/gameofsatan/]Game of Satan - Roleplaying games are satan worshipping[/url] for an example of people who think that way. He says something about bathing making one aware of one's body, and that's never a good thing. Read recently that 7% of Americans polled "never bathe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics