Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:22 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,137,836 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe the number of people that walk around with out bathing. I am in the library and I'm sitting next to a guy that stinks to high hell.....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 03:47 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,421,173 times
I am sorry you are sitting in the library next to someone whose smell you find so offensive, ChicagoRon. My suggestion might be to move.

Some people do not have access to hygiene that others of us here in the states do. After repeated complaints about a child who came to the JR HS, stinking, every day, some of us sat with the boy only to learn there was no running water in the home, his mother was an alcoholic who did not take the children's clothes to a laundromat, and he really was doing the best he knew how. The coaches brought in some clothes for the fellow, and when he arrived on campus in the mornings, he had permission to go to the locker rooms, shower, and change before classes.

Interestingly enough, some cultures find the way, we, Americans, smell as 'offensive,' due largely to the chemicals and perfumes in our products. After an Asian friend explained it to me, I could see what she was talking about -- one scent in our soaps, another in the shampoo, the chlorine in the water, then it was fabric softener on the towel, deodorant, hairspray, toothpaste, mouthwash, the smell of detergent in our clothes, and any other grooming products we choose to use, and perfume.

I recall feeling 'offended' myself, at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I wondered just what we must smell like to others of a different culture.

Have you heard of tolerance? Furthermore, what you are asking of folks, is to bathe.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:57 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,447,575 times
lol rdslots

Old 04-05-2008, 05:32 PM

24,318 posts, read 25,824,940 times
Very good RDSLOTS.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:01 PM

27,251 posts, read 27,315,672 times
Yeah, some people too, who do bathe, are afraid to wear anti-perspirant, theyre afraid of the ingredient that actually keeps you from sweating. Some may try to 'mask' the smelly sweat with plain deodorant, but for many people it doesnt even do that very well at all. But then there are those who really do stink...and they do have the means to clean up...those are the ones I wouldnt even want to be in the same room with, much less, sit next to!!
As far as cultures go, well, thats their business. Fruity, scented or 'forest pine' soaps dont matter, just have some decency, heck, for me, its not about the scent, but anything is better than stink.
As for that little kid, well, no running water in the home, CPS would have that kid in a shelter home so fast, if someone would have bothered reporting it.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,447,575 times
can i just say that in my home town the library had a couple of people who had no where else to go and i imagine didnt have access to a bath every day. i wonder if that is whom you are sitting next to?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:02 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,582,336 times
Allow me to throw in a curve ball here. I once had to work with a man who had an offensive odor. He was a nice enough chap, and he sure looked clean, but that smell!

Here's the long and short of it, he was suffering from some form of cancer on chemotherapy and it was actually the medicines in his body that I smelled. Anywhere near him could smell it. There was nothing he could do about it. It's not something they care for either.

By the way, I agree with RDSLOTS. If you are so offended, then perhaps you should do the right thing and move. Some people are very offended by the mere odor of hair spray and colognes/perfumes. I am one such person. And even though I may be using a library computer, if someone with hair spray or cologne sits at the computer next to me, I have to get up and leave. What difference is it if there is body odor or perfume? You are the one offended so you should be the one to move or leave.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,219,625 times
Be patient--you never know the why's and what's reasons here. I know some people who are allergic to certain deodorants, soaps etc. Plus, as mentioned, certain medications can cause odors. Just politely move. It sure isn't worth hurting a persons feelings over!!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,421,173 times
Nicely put, every one of you.

I too have allergies to strong scents, whether it is something I have tried myself, or something another person near me is wearing. Sometimes, I had to find a tactful way to ask my students to refrain from wearing some of the perfumes and scents they chose -- usually in private, and one-on-one.

Regardless of what problem you may encounter with another, I think there are ways of dealing with it. I can only hope perhaps ChicagoRon was just taken unaware, and venting, when he made the post. One of the first things that came to my mind, was a homeless person seeking some refuge in the library, but that may not have been the case at all.

Oh, and those of us who eat things like garlic and curry, I have been told 'stink' on occasion, too.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,984,137 times
[quote=ChicagoRon;3365182]I cannot believe the number of people that walk around with out bathing. I am in the library and I'm sitting next to a guy that stinks to high hell.....LOL[/quote SOME FOREIGNERS DO NOT BATHE because it is part of their culture and much tolerated in their countries. However, are you aware of the fact that bad smells (especially genital odors,) could be for some people a form of an aphrodisiac that turns them on? Some people even pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics