Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,325 times

Advertisements

We now know what you think you were in high school, so feeling the way you did (either good or bad), have you gone to a class reunion? Was it a positive experience or a negative one? Did people think you changed? Did you think they changed? If you haven't been to a reunion--why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 05:15 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
We now know what you think you were in high school, so feeling the way you did (either good or bad), have you gone to a class reunion? Was it a positive experience or a negative one? Did people think you changed? Did you think they changed? If you haven't been to a reunion--why not?
I only went to the 10 year reunion and I got the award for having changed the most and I really had changed. My hair was shorter and darker, I got contacts and learned how to use makeup. I also had over come a lot of my shyness so I was talking A lot of people told me I looked really good. I left feeling really good but I've not been back I have no desire to see them again. Only maybe a few close friends but that's it.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:48 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,276 times
I went to the 10 year reunion as well as the 20 year reunion. I was bored at the second one. I know what you mean ILNC, it was nice, but with the exception of a few good friends who I stay in touch with anyway - it doesn't matter to me if I see the others or not. Been there done that.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:36 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,448 times
I went to my 30 year reunion and realized there was a bunch of old people there. The class of "72" did not age well. Not sure why. I do know the only thing I had in common with all of them was being 15. Now that we were not 15 anymore there was not a whole lot to say. It was strange hearing how many were already grandparents. I do not think I will go to another one, I want to remember them the way they look in my yearbook.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:01 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,321 times
I haven't gone to any reunion because of moving several times and losing touch. A few years back my mother ran into some people I went to school with and we got back in touch. It didn't last long because I realized they were still the same, wanting to party etc... I grew out of that years ago. I never had much in common with the people I went to school with, most of them were content with staying where they were smoking pot and not going anywhere. I wanted to travel the world, go to school in NYC and had so many big dreams.

What about you grammy?

Old 12-17-2006, 07:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I was from the class of '72.
Um, I never posted in the other high school thread, so to catch you up on that, I was a shy sensitive hippie whose boyfriend was a loud, jovial jock.
Okay.
I went to the 10th, 20th as well as the 30th reunions.
Each one was different. For the 10th, we did not have all that much distance from high school. We were still young and figuring ourselves out, though many of us were paired off. For the 20th, there had been a couple deaths, several divorces and lots of big moves, people came from as far away as Italy.
For the 30th, it was sort of this hard-partying Last Hurrah for us aging Boomers.
Kinda pathetic.
One theme I noticed through all the reunions:
Everyone mingled and mixed with everyone else (my high school was incredibly diverse in ethnicity as well as socioeconomic levels) but when it got down to who you sat with for dinner, the same old clicques clustered together.
I'm glad I went to all of them. I say I'll never go again, but I might. I loved my high school and had some good times there.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:36 AM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
My 10 year reunion was 3 years ago, and I didn't even bother to RSVP... I went to a very small private school, where I knew everyone & didn't particularly like most of them! Only really had 2-3 good friends from my school (rest of my friends were at the public school), and they weren't even attending the reunion. Plus, I just didn't want to deal with all the bragging... it's the type of school where about 90% end up very successful, and I didn't want to hear about "my PhD, doctor husband, 3 gorgeous children, mansion in Hillsborough, etc.". Not that my life is unsuccessful, but I don't have as much to boast about - LOL. Anyway, I didn't care about these people in high school, so I certainly don't care about them now...

Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
I have never gone to mine because I didn't make any lifetime friendships. After leaving high school I lost track of anybody that I hung around with. Going to high school in New York is quite different than many other cities. I went to a trade high school so there were other students from all the boros (Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn and The Bronx) so it's not like a local suburban school where its only kids from town. However I have gone to my wifes (10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 year) reunions. I had become friends with many of the people that my wife grew up with and we have a great time at her reunions. I've known these people for over 35 years so it's like I've known them forever.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,622 times
I'm the class of '83 and have gone to all of mine (5 yr., 10 yr., and 20 yr.). All were great. Though our school had about 1300 students, we were VERY close. I was told several times that I hadn't changed, but I feel like I look different. But I surely took it as a compliment. It's odd how we see ourselves differently than others do sometimes. Looking forward to going to #25 in 2008.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:35 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,189 times
Well, I had tickets to my tenth reunion (class of 71) and was looking forward to it when my ist wife dropped the bomb that we would be splitting up. Didn't feel much like going at that point and haven't made any of the subsequent ones. I'm not even sure they've had any more due to lack of responses (class size = 400) but would like to if they ever have another. I did go to Mrs. Square Peg's 25th. I felt very proud for her. She had always been a special ed kid and was kinda ignored by most. Turns out she was a real late bloomer and, I'm sure my judgement is slanted on this, but she was indeed the most stunningly beautiful woman in the room. Many people did not recognize her and assumed that I must've been the one who was in their class, when in actuality I went to another school. We both had fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics