U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,442,428 times

Advertisements

Do you get irritated of meeting people who do the same line as work as you do or use to do and feel that they are doing a poor job or not to what is the proper procedure as it should be done?

For instance you go to restaurant and you use to be a server and you feel the server is properly minding you like they should do to your prior or current job in this profession.

You go and see a nurse and know she isnt giving you proper care like she should since you use to be one?

Do you just get irritated or tell them why you think so?
Do you tell them that you use or currently do this kind of work?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM

4,898 posts, read 17,714,726 times
yes i do get irritated! but i dont know if i would always have the courage to tell them so. i think many people are just lazy and have bad work ethics and like to just skate through their day doing as little as possible and collecting their check. i feel like they have no pride of their own work! it makes me so sick.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 30,982,633 times
Yes,,,,, I get frustrated with others in my profession who think they are doing a good job and end up mishandling the whole thing. In my line of work there is a technical knowledge required in working out the installation or the repair of the services. Also required is a skilled hands on with the physical hardware involved and good communication skills with the clients understanding what they need, want and what you can do within reason for them while your on the job. A good number of others fail to meet the standards that I set for them and myself in the tread. If you’re not dedicated to your work it reflects in the quality of the product and service you give. I have no tolerance for poor service or product in any tread or profession.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 AM

18,434 posts, read 32,456,929 times
Sunny..... this happens to me everyday i walk through the doors of my work. People do the very least at their job that they have to, if even that... and it irritates me to no end.

I am there for my patients, for the drs, etc... and strive to do my very best, and then some.

Others are there, for what seems to be an eight hour social convention.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 AM

28,227 posts, read 20,863,755 times
Yes-I do but only say something if pushed or treated rudely.

I was in customer service field when customer service meant something and it just gets to me when you call a company and when/if you finally reach a person they're rude, incompetent,etc. At that point I am known for speaking my mind!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:43 AM

11,464 posts, read 18,467,527 times
Nah, it doesn't bother me, but then agian I don't run into that situation being I work in a power plant

Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM

13,394 posts, read 43,152,852 times
I'm still working, and daily I see things that I shouldn't.
It's been happening to me ever since I moved here.
This is for a variety of reasons, mostly relating to small town life.
Sometimes I say a thing or two, but mostly I don't, because it won't change anything, and might only hurt my employment situation.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 AM

26,141 posts, read 26,026,615 times
I hate going into a restraunt and once the server brings you your food and drinks, thats it, they dont check back with you to see if you need refills of coffee, or any other service. Yet they sure seem to scramble to the table once you leave, for that tip!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,912,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Do you get irritated of meeting people who do the same line as work as you do or use to do and feel that they are doing a poor job or not to what is the proper procedure as it should be done?

For instance you go to restaurant and you use to be a server and you feel the server is properly minding you like they should do to your prior or current job in this profession.

Do you just get irritated or tell them why you think so?
I was never really a waiter but I've been to alot of restaurants good and bad,including a fine restaurant that my sister worked at and I've gotten to know the difference in service. Plus I used to work in sales and retail and I know the little 'tricks'.
So when I'd go to a restaurant with friends for example there were certain protocols used by the waiters that used to annoy me,such as being rushed through a meal and out the door. Things like them throwing down the check in the middle of the meal without even asking if there will be any dessert etc,or asking right in the middle of the meal if we want dessert.
Ever hear of 'cleansing the palate'? Sometimes I would pretend to let on that I was a restaurant critic just so they'd maybe pay a little closer attention to my cues,but most never got it. That kind of indicates to me they didn't desire any professionalism in their work and wouldn't be there long.
A restaurant is one place that I like to relax for awhile,eat and socialize.I've heard that in Europe people spend hours if not most of the day in a restaurant. So comparitively alot of restaurants here are primitive on that level.
Another sign of a good waiter is the ability to 'feel out' your customers,not just jump into their conversations with abrupt interruptions at timed intervals and then forget about you when you really look like you need something.

As far as the retail I was in,it really irked me that any of the places I worked at were held up to strict corporate standards yet when I was a customer I received service not even close to that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics