U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,080,637 times

Advertisements

A bit ago, I was making arrangements by phone to have flowers sent to a friend's house. I gave directions to her house, the house number including "if you see this or that, you passed it." When just about everything was said and done, I was asked, "What color is your friend's house?" I went blank. I had absolutely no idea. I took a blind and wild guess and said "blue" oblivious if that was even close.

I am looking for opinions here, if you were me, would you be thinking you've finally gone around the proverbial bend?

There's more...

So, for those who are on the edges of their seats wondering what color my friend's house really is, it is not only blue, it is, in fact, an ugly blue. It is a gut-wrenching-dark blue-almost-neon-that-must-have-been-some-sort-of-paint-color-that-was-a-test-color-that-nobody-wanted-and-she-must-have-picked-up-for-next-to-nothing-because-why-else-would-anyone-so-nice-put-such-a-wretched-color-on-their-house-for-all-the-world-to-see? And I couldn't remember it.

Last edited by AliceT; 04-13-2008 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: memory loss affecting my internal spell checking ability
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:35 AM

7,359 posts, read 18,187,812 times
Things like this happen to people all the time. A few weeks ago, someone I did water aerobics with asked me what my husbands name was and my mind went blank. I normally have a great memory. The person that had asked me this question teased me about it a couple of times and we both had a laugh.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 AM

10,674 posts, read 22,124,956 times
No, you're obviously fine because you remembered the story long enough to tell us.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 AM

61,303 posts, read 81,172,212 times
was having dinner with my mom in s. bay. i was served hot tea i reached for it she grabbed my hand
son dont drink that. it will give you alheimers.
i said what???
yes son that is lipton tea, if you drink lipton tea it will give you alheimers
mom, are you saying if i drink this, there are some things i wont remember?
well yes
i grab the tea and guzzle it down like a crazyman laughing.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 AM

28,733 posts, read 43,548,372 times
It gets worse as you get older. Get used to it.

Names for me. Been a problem my entire life. Has gotten worse. I can be with someone I've known for 20 years and will have to go over past conversations when someone else said their name to remember what it is.

Phone numbers. I blame cell phones. If they wouldn't store them I'd remember them. If people had numbers instead of names I would not have a problem - unless they were stored in my cell phone so I wouldn't have to remember. I think there is a conspiracy here...

Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,589,734 times
This is a "club" we all have a membership in!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:48 PM

13,636 posts, read 22,946,302 times
My doctor told me to take a b-12 supplement every day to maintain good memory..I can't remember to take it though

Old 04-13-2008, 12:55 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,589,734 times
Blue-knew there was something I forgot today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM

19,922 posts, read 10,437,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
This is a "club" we all have a membership in!!!!!!!!!!
You're right. It is and it's scary. I just lost my mother after a 12-year fight with Alzheimers and to have watched the deterioration over the years is a scary thing. That could be me someday!

I think one of the things that really worked against her was her failure to keep mentally active. When she retired, she really stopped doing almost everything and I think that had she stayed mentally active and challenged, perhaps things might have been different.

Stay mentally and physically active ... keep in touch with friends and family ... eat well ... do crossword puzzles ... even play in the CD games threads. Experts think that Alzheimer's will grow in epidemic-like numbers. I hope they are wrong.

Charley

Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 PM

1,641 posts, read 4,767,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
You're right. It is and it's scary. I just lost my mother after a 12-year fight with Alzheimers and to have watched the deterioration over the years is a scary thing. That could be me someday!

I think one of the things that really worked against her was her failure to keep mentally active. When she retired, she really stopped doing almost everything and I think that had she stayed mentally active and challenged, perhaps things might have been different.

Stay mentally and physically active ... keep in touch with friends and family ... eat well ... do crossword puzzles ... even play in the CD games threads. Experts think that Alzheimer's will grow in epidemic-like numbers. I hope they are wrong.

Charley
Not sure about that. Had a dear friend who was extremely bright & read all the time. NYSlime cover to cover every week-end, did x-word puzzles & all that, was always in conversation with folks about politics, etc. He got alzheimer's. Don't they now think that there is some genetics involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics