Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 06:26 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,009,732 times

Advertisements

Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day?

A little tired -- my 5-year-old granddaughter slept over at my place last night. I use the term "slept" loosely.

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of the last time my late husband and I were there, for a month in 2009.

What is your favorite book, song, movie, TV show about (or that takes place in) the American South? They can be from any genre.

Book: Cold Mountain
Movie: Gone With the Wind
TV Show: ?
Song: Sweet Home Alabama

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: Montreal, again.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is Benedict Cumberbatch.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a Jaguar.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is "Dominique, Nique, Nique, s'en allait tout simplement ..." We had to memorize the whole thing for Mme. Murray's French class when I was in high school, and much of it has stuck with me.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: Chicken enchiladas

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: Israel.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? Georgia. The state, not the country.

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little?

Not ever.

PHOTO

This photo was taken by me on this date 11 years ago. It is the Rice Grist Mill at Norris Dam State Park in Norris, Tennessee.

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year?

Beautiful photo. We don't get that kind of color in central Florida, although some trees do lose their leaves.

Thanks for the questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 07:02 AM

126,303 posts, read 19,086,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

..........In good spirit thank you
how about you Laura?

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of

..........Tour de France

What is your favorite book, song, movie, TV show about (or that takes place in) the American South? They can be from any genre.

................have no favorite from there

Book:
Movie:
TV Show:
Song:

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see:

............Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlotte Islands off British Columbia’s west coast

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is

...............Judy Dench

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a

...................not sure

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is

............... Hindi song Maye Ni Maye by Lata Mangeshkar

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order:

.........no idea

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is:

............Swiss and many more

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to?

.........USA

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little?

...........Never used an ATM machine

PHOTO

This photo was taken by me on this date 11 years ago. It is the Rice Grist Mill at Norris Dam State Park in Norris, Tennessee.

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year?

.........Quite a few trees still have colorful leaves pending on the tree type.

THANK YOU Laura

Old 11-09-2019, 07:11 AM

9,730 posts, read 14,284,802 times
Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day? I couldn't be better! Getting ready to hit the road for appointments, and tonight, we're seeing a Lynyrd Skynyrd Tribute Band.....Tuesday's Gone. Videos I've viewed indicate this will be a fun night.

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of _ wine and the movie, Three Coins in a Fountain

Book: ?
Movie: ?
TV Show: ?
Song: Dixie Chicken, by Little Feat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z-GwdaKrn8

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: No interest since I'm not keen about going out of this country

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is N/A....None

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a None. Money has nothing to do with my thinking. Knowing that many parts of a car are from overseas, I still buy the most American made car there is.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is N/A None

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: No interest...went to one a few years ago, and ordered quesadillas. Taco Bell's are better

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: Poland

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? State of Maryland - We're about 15 minutes from Caroline County, Maryland

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little? Sometimes yes, sometimes no

PHOTO

This photo was taken by me on this date 11 years ago. It is the Rice Grist Mill at Norris Dam State Park in Norris, Tennessee. Beautiful! If I ever left my home state, Tennessee would be for me!

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Ours are coming along, but not as pretty as these Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? Less

Thanks, Laura

Last edited by rdlr; 11-09-2019 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,812,200 times
[quote=LauraC;56595649]Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day?

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of __another bucket list trip. ________________________________.

Book: Cold Mountain.
Movie: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and This Property is Condemned are two of my favorites.
TV Show: The Andy Griffith Show
Song:Carolina in My Mind. James Taylor. Takes me back to a friend that died young and an old boyfriend that I regret losing as a friend.

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: The polar bears in Churchill. _____________________________________.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is Russell Crowe____________________________.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a __Porsche 911_____________________.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is ____________________________.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: __Steak fajitas and a sangria margarita. ________________________________________________

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: _Japan and Russia. ____________________.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? _Canada. ___________________

JUST CURIOUS

Nope. I have a little sports car and I have to open the door to reach it.
PHOTO

Gorgeous Laura!
We were having one of the most beautiful falls in awhile until the snow storm on Halloween. It pulled down a lot of leaves. There are still some on the trees but they're pretty dull.

Thanks Laura. Sorry guys I've been crazy busy with getting Halloween down, the garden and flower beds cleaned up, and Lenny. I haven't had much time for City Data. Lenny is 6 months old now and doing really well with house breaking. I don't know how much longer I will have him, but I just can't stand the thought of a puppy crated for hours on end. It's soul crushing for them and I'm very attached to him. He's going to be a nice dog some day.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:44 AM

33,311 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day? So far, so good.

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of _the Eiffel Tower.

Book: None
Movie: None
TV Show: None
Song: None

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: the inside of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal, Quebec, and the British Columbia coastline.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is Sean Connery.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a __. Nothing really.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is__. I can't think of any.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: an enchilada.

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: Israel.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? State: New Mexico; Country: Mexico. I'm just a few miles from both.

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little? I never use them.

PHOTO

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? The trees in my area still have their leaves and are still green.
Thank you Laura.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,911,835 times
QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of ____art______.

Book: Gone with the Wind
Movie: The Pelican Brief
TV Show: Designing Women
Song: Land of Cotton

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: __Lake Louise_____.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is _Cary Grant____.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a _Porsche______.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is ____Sur le Pont D'Avignon____.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: __Quesadilla___.

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: ____Canada___.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? ___Arizona and Utah_______

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little? === I always have to undo my seat belt.

PHOTO

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? === Nowhere as much color around here, but I've started to notice a lot more red and gold foliage this past week.

Thanks Laura!

Last edited by KiwiKate; 11-09-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-09-2019, 09:45 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,934,698 times
Fine so far, thanks for asking. Trivia: "Ahoy-hoy" was Alexander Graham Bell’s preferred way to answer the phone. "Ahoy-hoy" derives from the term “Ahoy”, which is generally associated with being a nautical term used for hailing ships. A while back I tried answering my phone that way, but it was too weird.

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of my great-grandfather who came to the U.S. in 1908, at age 16, became a U.S. citizen, and a fine-dining chef. I was fortunate to have him in my life until I was age 26. I especially loved going to his house for the delicious meals he made us and listening to his stories.

Book: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Movie: Key Largo
TV Show: Hart of Dixie
Song: Cheeseburger in Paradise

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see it on a Trans-Canada Train trip, coast to coast with many layovers so I can explore.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is: Yoann Blanc.
(It was hard to name just one since I watch and enjoy a lot of foreign TV and films.)

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a car highly rated for safety, especially in winter conditions.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is:
Sakura Sakura, a traditional Japanese folk song I learned years ago.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: Margarita Grilled Shrimp.

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: Iceland.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? Canada at 20 miles to gate.

JUST CURIOUS

I have never pulled up to an ATM machine.

PHOTO

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this?
No comparison, we're done here.
Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year?
We have less. They are now on the ground under a thin blanket of snow.

Thank you for the fun questions, LauraC! Safe day wishes to everybody!

Last edited by geebabe; 11-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: forgot a question

Old 11-09-2019, 09:46 AM

7,377 posts, read 5,492,216 times

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of Eiffel Tower _.

Book: ?
Movie: The Color Purple
TV Show: Green Acres
Song: Country Roads

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see Vancouver.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is Helen Mirren ____.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a BMW ______.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is Adel Weiss from the Sound Of Music ( I know I spelled this wrong)

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: chicken fajitas

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: Canada___.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? Wisconsin

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little? No

PHOTO

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? We have more than usual leaves on the trees for this time of the year. It’s suppose to snow on Monday so that will make more of them fall.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:24 AM

24,500 posts, read 26,045,935 times
Fair to Fair to middling.

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of Jezer and Nornandy.

Book:
Movie:Pelican Brief
TV Show:The Dukes of Hazzard
Song:Deliverance

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see:
Take the Across Canada by train trip.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is
Olivia Newton-John.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a Porsche 911 or Rolls Royce.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is
Pass

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order:
Carne asada.

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is:
Canada, Mexico, Japan, New Zealand.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to?
AZ, NV and MX.

JUST CURIOUS

I only use indoor ATMs for the reasons stated above.

PHOTO

Neato pix Laura

The local trees currently have all their leaves.

Yhanx Laura good selection of Q's.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:46 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,802,867 times
Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day? Just peachy

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of ___Paris_______________________________.

Book: The Widow of the South
Movie: Fried Green Tomatoes
TV Show: Perfect Harmony
Song: Sweet Home Alabama

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: ______Vancouver________________________________.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is _____Liam Neeson_______________________.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a ___Lamborghini____________________.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is ______none______________________.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: ________cheese dip and chips, then a burrito with beans and rice__________________________________________

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: __Canada___________________.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? state is North Carolina, country would be Mexico__________________

JUST CURIOUS

I don't normally use ATM's, too dangerous and too easy for criminals to put a skimmer where you put in your bank card. I have had to remove my seatbelt and open the door before when using an ATM when I didn't pull up close enough.

PHOTO

Our summer was too dry to produce good color this year, when we get rain during the summer the showing of leaves on the trees in the mountains nearby are just gorgeous.

Thanks Laura!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics