Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 AM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times

Advertisements

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of ~ Paris.

What is your favorite book, song, movie, TV show about (or that takes place in) the American South? They can be from any genre.

Book: To Kill A Mockingbird
Movie: Mississippi Burning
TV Show: Andy Griffith Show (when I was a child)
Song: Strange Fruit

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: Montreal.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is ~ Anthony Hopkins.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a ~ Jaguar. I had an '89 XJ6 I sold and I regret it!

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is ~ Der Hass (it means [The] Hate in German).

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: Chicken enchiladas or beef tamales.

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: Japan.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? ~ Virginia.

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little? ~ Usually. My last car's front windows wouldn't go down, so I always had to get out to use the ATM.

PHOTO

This photo was taken by me on this date 11 years ago. It is the Rice Grist Mill at Norris Dam State Park in Norris, Tennessee. ~ Lovely!

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? ~ They are not as colorful but about the same amount is there. My late neighbors tree is nearly bare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 02:27 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of
La Marseillaise (best national anthem ever). Remember this scene from Casablanca (they were in Morocco when they sang it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM

What is your favorite book, song, movie, TV show about (or that takes place in) the American South? They can be from any genre.

Book: Deliverance - James Dickey (takes place in Georgia)
Movie: Sweet Home Alabama
TV Show: Justified (Kentucky)
Song: Boondocks - Little Big Town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Empq3ZkTm8E

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: The Calgary Stampede.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is Patrick McGoohan (dead - England) and Russell Crowe (alive - Australia).

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a I have no idea. I need a car that is easy to get in and out of these days.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is Dimelo by Marc Anthony which is the Spanish version of his hit record I Need To Know. On his album from back then, he put both versions on it... and he enunciates really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6pn_IQjhs

Haven't looked at everyone's answers yet. Curious to see if anyone put O Tannenbaum (O Christmas Tree). Knew it when I was a kid in grade school but not now. Nat King Cole had a record of it in German as well as some others.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: cheese enchiladas.

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: Canada, Japan, UK, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Australia.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? Kentucky - The border is about an hour 8 minutes away.

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little?
If someone holds my feet and dangles me out of the driver's side window, I might be able to reach it without opening the car door.

Edit: I really appreciate it when people post YouTube music or pictures. Gives me ideas. I am now going to see if I can buy that version of Shenandoah.

Last edited by LauraC; 11-09-2019 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2019, 03:13 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day? Great thanks- it's been quite a nice warm day.

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of the fact that it is home to me, and I wouldn't change it.

Book: Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil.
Movie: Paris, Texas- favourite movie, period.
TV Show: Unsure
Song: Something by The Dixie Chicks- maybe Travellin' Soldier.

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: Old Quebec City.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is Jack Nicholson.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a Mercedes (got one).
While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is La Marseilles, and I do know what the words mean. Will be singing it on Monday.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: __________________________________________________

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is:France.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? Spain

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little? Not here!

PHOTO

This photo was taken by me on this date 11 years ago. It is the Rice Grist Mill at Norris Dam State Park in Norris, Tennessee.

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? Reasonably similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174 (2).JPG
Views:	41
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	216010

Je vous remercie.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:23 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
When I think of France, I think of Normandy.

What is your favorite book, song, movie, TV show about (or that takes place in) the American South? They can be from any genre. Tennessee Williams, Rose Tatoo (because I saw it October 24, 2019)

Song: Alabama Rain, Jim Croce; Southern Rain, Mel Tillis

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: Just about any place about which Gordon Lightfoot sings, but the islands in Lake Huron featured in Seven Islands Suite takes the cake. I loved Algonquin Provincial Park but was there already. So I'm not sure it answers the question.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is Julie Andrews.And Slim Dusty (Australia).

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a Toyota Camry, what I have now.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is Yerushalaim Shel Zachar, or Jerusalem of Gold. Or do songs sung in Canadian count?

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: Chicken Mole Poblano

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is:Israel.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? Connecticut, about 500 yards.

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little? A few, yes.

PHOTO

This photo was taken by me on this date 11 years ago. It is the Rice Grist Mill at Norris Dam State Park in Norris, Tennessee.

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? Would be very similar except for a few fierce windstorms that stripped them soon after they turned.

================================================== =====

Occurrences on or about November 9:
  1. In 1938, Kristallnacht, the Night of Broken Glass;Also in Germany, in 1989, he date of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Freedom was celebrated as people danced. Finally a prison nation was unlocked.
  2. The Australian constitutional crisis, see 4. The crisis of 1974-75 – Parliament of Australia and The Dismissal of the Whitlam Government – November 11th, 1975.
  3. The Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald November 10, 1975.
  4. The U.N. defined Zionism as "a form of racism and racial discrimination.
What a difference a day makes!!! See From Kristallacht to the Fall of the Berlin Wall - November 9, What a Day! for more.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:07 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day?

QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of __________________________________.
My last name

Book: The Southern Stinky Cheese Recipes
Movie: Gone With The Cheap Beer
TV Show: The Dukes Of Stinky Cheese
Song: 99 Bottles Of Cheap Beer On The Wall

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: ______________________________________.
Vancouver BC

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is ____________________________.
Will have to think about this for a while

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a _______________________.
Not into foreign cars

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is ____________________________.
I am not allowed to sing

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: __________________________________________________
Enchiladas

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: _____________________.
South Korea

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? ____________________
I live a couple miles from Oregon

JUST CURIOUS

When you pull up to an ATM machine on the outside of some building wall to do your business, can you reach it without either unbuckling your seat belt or opening your car door a little?
Usually not

PHOTO

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year?
About the same color. Leaves are falling fast here.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Ahoy Mateys! How are you this fine November day?
Alright

QUESTIONS
When I think of France, I think of pastry shops, country restaurants, hunting for truffles

Not necessarily favorites, but remember and recognize . . .

Book: Red Bird Christmas by Fannie Flagg
Movie: Gone with Mutt's Questions . . . I mean wind. Gone With the Wind
TV Show: Andy Griffith show
Song: Country Roads

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see:
Banff

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is
Kate Winslet

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a
Ferrari from Italy

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is
frere Jacques

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order:
enchiladas

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is:
Many, I'll say Ireland.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to?
Halfway to Mex and Can

JUST CURIOUS
I do not need to unbuckle or open.

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year?
Still have some leaves

Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
QUESTIONS

When I think of France, I think of ___Eiffel Tower_______________________________.

Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Movie:
TV Show:
Song:

If I could see any place or any touristy thing in Canada, I’d like to see: __Quebec City____________________________________.

A dead or alive actor that is from a country that is not my own and that I like is _Christopher Plummer___________________________.

If money was no object, the car that is made in a country that is not my own and that I wouldn’t mind having is a _Lexus sedan______________________.

While I may not know what the words mean, a song I can sing in a language that is not my own is __Frere Jacques__________________________.

If I go to a non-fast food Mexican restaurant, I’m likely to order: ___Chicken Enchiladas_______________________________________________

A country that is not my own but whose flag I would easily recognize is: _ Canada__ __________________.

What state or country that is not your own do you live closest to? __Oregon__________________

JUST CURIOUS

PHOTO

Question: Right now, how do the color and amount of leaves still on the trees where you live compare to this? Do you have more or less at this particular time of the year? We have had a lovely fall with beautiful foliage colors. But now the color show is about over. There are a few trees with leaves turned amber or red, but most of them have fallen by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics