Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 08:15 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times

Advertisements

I am compiling a list of needs the needy usually have to "save up" for that are not offered by food banks nor covered by their WIC cards. Clothing is usually covered by the salvation army and most mission stores. Around here, most Needy folks wouldn't want a bag of beans if you paid them to take it. I can't blame them, as long as it takes to prep them. But rice is always appreciated, all manner of seasonings, small appliances and furnishings. I've found that toys must be covered somewhere else because even though stuffed animals (plushes) are free, there seems to be a lack of interest in them.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who work with the Needy, whether in shelters, food banks, mission stores or churches on what items seem to be on the top of the "wants" or "needs" list for your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 11:16 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Freecycle. Ive given away lots of stuff and aside from myself, have gotten a lot of free things that people dont want anymore. Not everything is in mint condition, but there are still lots of times people are just giving away beautiful things. Its freecycle.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
In the past, I have taken a few baskets of laundry items to our local Eucimencal (spelling?) Church. They are great and do a lot for our local people in need. Usually three laundry baskets that each have Laundry detergent, fabric softener, a few towels, and other related items.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
What a great idea Pocono.

Other items might be bath soaps, toothpastes, first aid items, coats, bedding.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Yeah, laundry detergent is high on the list of wants. Not needed, but hard to explain that and the baskets themselves are a good idea, too. Soaps, toothpaste, coats, clothing and bedding are all covered in the textiles of mission stores and the Salvation Army. I had a lady ask if we had any toasters. I took her name and phone number so I can call her if and when we get one in our donated items. I can mention that specific request to the resident missionary to mention to the churches in his area. I was just wondering if anyone else knows of items needed in the various regions or if wants and needs remain the same across the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Freecycle.
Freecycle doesn't exist in this remote area of the appalachian mountains. Even if it did, I am asking if anyone knows of specific needs or wants of those less fortunate rather than where to get said items. Thank you for your input, though.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 PM

7,913 posts, read 932,573 times
toilet paper is a big need and want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics