Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:12 AM

164 posts, read 783,504 times

Advertisements

All of this talk about accents on the board has me thinking, what about states without a distinct accent? What, in your opinion, is the 'accent' that TV reporters are forced to speak with?

The first two that come to mind right off the bat are Connecticut and California. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
I've heard that Nebraskan's don't have any accent.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:03 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Actually Southern California has a very distinct accent. I notice it on someone right away... not sure if anyone agrees.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Every single state has an accent. The people I know from CT have a very noticeable accent. Most people, even from states like that, don't speak the "reporter accent". However, even the way newscasters/reporters speak is an accent. There is no such thing as no accent unless you're a robot.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Every single state has an accent. The people I know from CT have a very noticeable accent. Most people, even from states like that, don't speak the "reporter accent". However, even the way newscasters/reporters speak is an accent. There is no such thing as no accent unless you're a robot.
EXACTLY. Everyone speaks with an accent. The notion that someone speaks without an accent is absurd. Accents are relative.

Now, there IS such a thing as a "standard" American accent, the kind spoken by the national media. But it's still an accent, and the majority of Americans don't speak that way.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
In Alabama, we don't have accents. It's everybody else who has accents.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
All of this talk about accents on the board has me thinking, what about states without a distinct accent? What, in your opinion, is the 'accent' that TV reporters are forced to speak with?

The first two that come to mind right off the bat are Connecticut and California. What do you think?
I think some people have "no accent". I consider standard american, like news reporters, to be "no accent." I suppose you could call it an "American accent", which means the same thing to me.

My neighbor is from Connecticut, and his whole family sounds like they're from Boston. I think he's got a strong accent. I talked to a guy from Manhattan yesterday, and he definitely had an accent. New York is anything but neutral.

The folks I've met from Iowa and Kansas didn't seem to have an accent. California doesn't seem to either, but I've noticed a tendency for Californians to draw out their words, valley-girl style. Liiiike yeaaahh.. duuuuuude.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 AM

136 posts, read 763,387 times
Actually I heard that TV anchors are usually picked from the midwest because they have a very neutral accent(read no accent). So in other words, to an outsider they sound like an American but with a clear pronouciation. If you notice, there are lots of Canadian news anchors working on American TV too because of their somewhat neutral accent similar to the midwest.(not all Canadians say eh at the end of each sentence).

Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Actually Southern California has a very distinct accent. I notice it on someone right away... not sure if anyone agrees.
I lived in SoCal and noticed no difference whatsoever between there and Northern CA.

I would agree with the OP about CA...we dont really have an accent. At least none I can think of.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I lived in SoCal and noticed no difference whatsoever between there and Northern CA.

I would agree with the OP about CA...we dont really have an accent. At least none I can think of.
If you're from a place, it's tough to tell. My favorite hobby in IL is showing people that they DO have an accent.

Them: "You heve a sahthern eccent! We don't heve eccents"

Me: "Yeah? Say the word "both".

Them: "Bolth"

Me: "Why the "l" sound?"

Them: "Oh my Gahd! We DO have Eccents!"

Endless fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics