U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:09 PM

36,721 posts, read 37,949,790 times

Advertisements

Having a hard time keeping my eyes open so this will be shorter than usual.

1) Name 5 real people or 5 characters that are known for wearing hats or some type of head covering.

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.

2) Do you have a face mask that is attractive or unusual? Describe it.

3) When planning a car trip to a set destination, approximately how many hours would the trip (home to final destination) have to be for you to decide the trip should be done in two or more days instead of one?

4) In addition to the food not tasting that great, for what reason(s) would you not return to a restaurant?

5) Is graffiti art? Explain your opinion.

6) When you go on vacation, do you tend to pack more than you need or are you the type that has to shop for something you forgot while you are away? What type of item are you most likely to have too much or too little of when on vacation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 09:21 PM
bjh

47,538 posts, read 27,512,961 times
1) Name 5 real people or 5 characters that are known for wearing hats or some type of head covering.
a. Humphrey Bogart
b. Indiana Jones
c. John Wayne
d. Davy Crockett
e. Sherlock Holmes

How do you feel about one of the old rubber Nixon masks?

3) When planning a car trip to a set destination, approximately how many hours would the trip (home to final destination) have to be for you to decide the trip should be done in two or more days instead of one?
7-8 ish

4) In addition to the food not tasting that great, for what reason(s) would you not return to a restaurant?
Dirty tables, inattentive staff, or too little for too much $.

Yes and no. It's art if I like it.

6) When you go on vacation, do you tend to pack more than you need or are you the type that has to shop for something you forgot while you are away?
I've gone on trips and forgot major components of wardrobe. Have admitted that here before.
What type of item are you most likely to have too much or too little of when on vacation?
Anything. Once I forgot pants. That's trousers for non-US countries. Went to Wally's and bought a few pair.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:33 PM

9,702 posts, read 15,416,734 times

a. Baseball players
b. Pope
c. Firemen
d. Matt Dillon (Gunsmoke)
e. Beetle Bailey

2) Do you have a face mask that is attractive or unusual? Describe it. I have the type that hunters and fishermen have that just pull up over the face. Mine isn't near as "fancy" as this one, just regular camouflage. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bandana-T...d-Sk/831472005

3) When planning a car trip to a set destination, approximately how many hours would the trip (home to final destination) have to be for you to decide the trip should be done in two or more days instead of one? We drive till I get tired. I'm the one doing all the driving.

4) In addition to the food not tasting that great, for what reason(s) would you not return to a restaurant? The place is dirty, bad service

5) Is graffiti art? Explain your opinion. Some is, some isn't

6) When you go on vacation, do you tend to pack more than you need or are you the type that has to shop for something you forgot while you are away? What type of item are you most likely to have too much or too little of when on vacation? I don't pack a single thing! I'm a husband! I'd screw it up! lol She always has me pack extra outfits.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:52 PM

19,655 posts, read 7,284,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Thanks for posting, Laura, even though you probably don't feel much like it. I can relate.

a. Roy Rogers
b. Santa Claus
c. Hedda Hopper
d. Carmen Miranda
e. The Pope

I'm not sure if it's "attractive" or "unusual," but I made some face masks from Mr. Bay's old flannel pajamas. They're brown and blue plaid on a gray background.

Mr. Bay has a low tolerance for long car drives, so we usually won't go more than two or three of hours before stopping.

Bad service, too crowded, overpriced, hard to find parking.

I guess you could say it's a form of graphic art when it's done with style and flair and makes a statement, but I don't think most graffiti meets those standards. Most of it just looks like scribble to me and has no other message beyond "Look at me! I exist!"

6) When you go on vacation, do you tend to pack more than you need or are you the type that has to shop for something you forgot while you are away? What type of item are you most likely to have too much or too little of when on vacation?[/quote]
I almost always pack too many clothes and too many cosmetic items like makeup, lotion, etc.

Thanks, LauraC! I hope you get a good night's rest.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:53 PM

32,603 posts, read 3,380,690 times

a. Diane Keaton
b. Stevie Ray Vaughan
c. Marlene Dietrich
d. Al Capone
e. Queen Elizabeth

2) Do you have a face mask that is attractive or unusual? No

About eight hours, give or take.

Bad service. If it's dirty I wouldn't have eaten there in the first place. I have been known to walk out once I got a good look at my surroundings. We hardly ever eat out anyway and when we do it's because we're on the road.

No, to me most of it is ugly and lacks imagination. It all looks the same.

6) When you go on vacation, do you tend to pack more than you need or are you the type that has to shop for something you forgot while you are away? What type of item are you most likely to have too much or too little of when on vacation?
I tend to overpack, but since all my traveling is on the road it's okay, there's room in my car.

Thanks LauraC! Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 PM

114,769 posts, read 61,406,683 times

a. John Wayne
b. Smokey the bear
c. Teddy Roosevelt
d. Abraham Lincoln
e. Harry Truman

Nope. Just plain Jane.

When we've gone to L.A. from San Antonio we take two days.

Poor service or crappy atmosphere. There may be new reasons now.

Only if done on your own property or someone else's with permission. Otherwise it's vandalism. Artsy vandalism.

Pack all that I'll need.

Thanks Laura!

Last edited by SATX56; 06-19-2020 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-19-2020, 11:15 PM

11,092 posts, read 6,025,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

a.John Wayne
b.The Pope
c.Bogart
d.George Strait
e.Raylan Givens

I have a black one that looks like I might rob a bank at any moment.

Dirty, Bad Service, overly priced, too crowded

Some people think so...I guess the beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder.
For the most part I think it is usually just an eyesore.

Too much....clothes.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:05 AM

7,386 posts, read 205,652 times

a. Maigret
b. Queen of England
c. Frank Sinatra
d. Charlie Chaplin
e. Zeppo Marx

It is multi-coloured & cheerful.

n/a

Over charging, unpleasant staff, too noisy.

I love it. Some great graffiti here in the UK.
I am reminded that when I first visited New York(1985) and went on the subway, I really liked all the graffiti, my hosts thought I was crazy. They loathed it.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:06 AM

42,507 posts, read 56,468,122 times

a. Kojak
b. Ava Gardner
c. Frank Sinatra
d. Fred Astaire
e. Gene Kelly

2) Do you have a face mask that is attractive or unusual? Describe it. A friend made us several colorful ones in a blue checkered look.

3) When planning a car trip to a set destination, approximately how many hours would the trip (home to final destination) have to be for you to decide the trip should be done in two or more days instead of one? Usually 6-8 hours.

4) In addition to the food not tasting that great, for what reason(s) would you not return to a restaurant? Bad service, noisy atmosphere, too far away.

5) Is graffiti art? Explain your opinion. Some I've seen looked decent in the right place, but art is in the eye of the beholder.

6) When you go on vacation, do you tend to pack more than you need or are you the type that has to shop for something you forgot while you are away? What type of item are you most likely to have too much or too little of when on vacation? We always pack for 2 days extra in case of an emergency.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:22 AM

10,595 posts, read 8,038,671 times
Having a hard time keeping my eyes open so this will be shorter than usual. - Thanks for your time. I hope your trip went well!

I just woke up but excluding many I could name who play sports the only one I am coming up with at this time is Ilhan Omar.

I don't follow Hollywood so I would not know famous characters who always wear them.

Just thought of another - the comedian Gallagher.

2) Do you have a face mask that is attractive or unusual? Describe it. - Nothing special but this is something I am interested in...

3) When planning a car trip to a set destination, approximately how many hours would the trip (home to final destination) have to be for you to decide the trip should be done in two or more days instead of one? - 12 hours.

4) In addition to the food not tasting that great, for what reason(s) would you not return to a restaurant? - Lousy service, rude wait staff.

5) Is graffiti art? Explain your opinion. - Not a fan, especially when it comes to body graffiti. To each his / her own as far as that goes.

I'm not in favor of defacing buildings or other objects like subway cars or randomness on the street. But if a city wants to donate space for that...
I view almost all of it as an act of vandalism and not "art."

6) When you go on vacation, do you tend to pack more than you need or are you the type that has to shop for something you forgot while you are away? What type of item are you most likely to have too much or too little of when on vacation? - When I use to travel a little it was usually more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics