Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:16 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 28, 2020. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people born on this date include composer Richard Rodgers, comedian-actor-director Mel Brooks, actors Pat Morita, Kathy Bates, John Cusack, Mary Stuart Masterson and Aileen Quinn; actress-comedian Gilda Radner, American football coach John Elway, musicians Bobby Bare, Jr. and Kellie Pickler; and Tesla founder Elon Musk.

Today’s Questions:
What are five things you’d never part with?

What are five things you’d like to get rid of?

What are some things that aren’t as good as they used to be?

What are some things that are better than they used to be?

Who were some people who admired when you were growing up, and why?

Who do you admire now, and why?

Have you ever played Super Lotto or any of the other state-sponsored betting games? Did you ever win anything?

Have you ever won anything in a sweepstakes, raffle or lottery?

What other games of chance have you played?

Today in History:
1389 - Ottomans defeat Serbian army in the bloody Battle of Kosovo, opening the way for the Ottoman conquest of Southeastern Europe.
1519 - King Carlos I elects Holy Roman Catholic Emperor Charles V.
1778 - the Revolutionary War Battle of Monmouth takes place in New Jersey; from this battle arises the legend of “Molly Pitcher,” a woman who was said to have carried water to colonial soldiers, then took over firing her husband’s cannon after he was disabled.
1838 - Coronation of Queen Victoria in Westminster Abbey, London.
1846 – Adolphe Sax patents a new musical instrument, the saxophone.
1894 – Labor Day becomes an official U.S. holiday.
1902 – The U.S. Congress passes the Spooner Act, which allows President Theodore Roosevelt to acquire rights from Colombia for the Panama Canal.
1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip, an act which triggers WWI.
1919 - Treaty of Versailles, ending WWI and establishing the League of Nations, is signed in France.
1926 – Mercedes-Benz is formed when Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz merge their automobile manufacturing companies.
1939 – Pan American Airways begins transatlantic air service with a flight from New York to Marseilles.
1969 – Stonewall riots in New York City mark the beginning of the gay rights movement.
1978 – The Supreme Court orders Allan Bakke to be admitted to the University of California Davis - Medical School because he was the victim of reverse discrimination.
1997 – Holyfield-Tyson II: Mike Tyson is disqualified in the third round for biting Evander Holyfield’s ear.
2004 - Iraq War: Sovereign power is handed to the interim government of Iraq by the Coalition Provisional Authority, ending the U.S.-led rule of that nation.

Word of the Day:
incontrovertible adjective in-kahn-truh-VER-tuh-bul
not open to question or not disputable.

Quote of the Day:
“I'd much rather be a woman than a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes, and they're the first to be rescued off sinking ships.”
- Gilda Radner

Today Is:
Descendants Day
International Body Piercing Day
Log Cabin Day
National Logistics Day
Tau Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 10:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Today’s Questions:
Hopefully my wife, our health, my faith in mankind, my freedom, and 5th my password on C-D
This pandemic, having to take out the garbage, robo phone calls, some of the heat in the weather, & those political adds on tv and in the mail.
My memory, taking long hikes, staying up late, working around the house doing chores.
making meals at home.
Drawing, wood working, and always working hard for my employers
Mrs Aks, she continues to put up with me during the day.
Have you ever played Super Lotto or any of the other state-sponsored betting games? Did you ever win anything? Mrs Aks continues to buy lottery tickets for each of the drawings using the same numbers she and her mother always played. So far we're in the hole for lots of money and the state is making out like a bandit.

Have you ever won anything in a sweepstakes, raffle or lottery? I won $50 at the church bingo party a very long time ago.

What other games of chance have you played?Slot machines in Vegas years ago. Never won anything except a free drink.

Today in History:
1389 - Ottomans defeat Serbian army in the bloody Battle of Kosovo, opening the way for the Ottoman conquest of Southeastern Europe.
1778 - the Revolutionary War Battle of Monmouth takes place in New Jersey; from this battle arises the legend of “Molly Pitcher,” a woman who was said to have carried water to colonial soldiers, then took over firing her husband’s cannon after he was disabled.
1902 – The U.S. Congress passes the Spooner Act, which allows President Theodore Roosevelt to acquire rights from Colombia for the Panama Canal.
1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip, an act which triggers WWI.
1919 - Treaty of Versailles, ending WWI and establishing the League of Nations, is signed in France.
1926 – Mercedes-Benz is formed when Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz merge their automobile manufacturing companies.
1939 – Pan American Airways begins transatlantic air service with a flight from New York to Marseilles.
1969 – Stonewall riots in New York City mark the beginning of the gay rights movement.
1978 – The Supreme Court orders Allan Bakke to be admitted to the University of California Davis - Medical School because he was the victim of reverse discrimination.
1997 – Holyfield-Tyson II: Mike Tyson is disqualified in the third round for biting Evander Holyfield’s ear.
2004 - Iraq War: Sovereign power is handed to the interim government of Iraq by the Coalition Provisional Authority, ending the U.S.-led rule of that nation.

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I'd much rather be a woman than a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes, and they're the first to be rescued off sinking ships.”
- Gilda Radner

Today Is:
Descendants Day
Log Cabin Day
National Logistics Day
Tau Day

Last edited by AksarbeN; 06-27-2020 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-27-2020, 10:16 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Today’s Questions:
Family and friends
Junk mail - can we stop getting it?
Education
Communications
Family members for their work ethic, intelligence and humor.
Same.
Have you ever played Super Lotto or any of the other state-sponsored betting games? Did you ever win anything?
Played. Won little bits here and there.
No
Driving on the highways in the rain.

Thx, BA4.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:30 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I liked BJ's answers so I'm just copying them. With a couple minor changes.

Today’s Questions:
Family and friends
Junk mail - can we stop getting it?
Education
Communications
Family members for their work ethic, intelligence and humor.
Same.
Not really.

Won a bag of groceries in a grand opening drawing at a local grocery in the 70's.
Driving on the highways in the rain.
Thanks BA4! Thanks BJ!

Old 06-27-2020, 10:50 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
It's too late to edit, but Question #5 should read, "Who were some people you admired when you were growing up, and why?" (Not "who").

Old 06-28-2020, 01:39 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today’s Questions:
What are five things you’d never part with? A thumb and 4 fingers.

What are five things you’d like to get rid of? Pigeons, weeds, pandemic, scams & spams.

What are some things that aren’t as good as they used to be? Kitchen appliances, bones, back, hip, lifestyle of ye' olden' days.

What are some things that are better than they used to be? Technology gadgets like TV's, phones, pacemakers, my cooking.

Who were some people whom you admired when you were growing up, and why? Some of my teachers who taught me a lot.

Who do you admire now, and why? Spouse for her tenacity battling M/S.

Have you ever played Super Lotto or any of the other state-sponsored betting games? Did you ever win anything? Yes and yes.

Have you ever won anything in a sweepstakes, raffle or lottery? Yes, sweeps and lotteries, over the years about 140.

What other games of chance have you played? Poker, slots, craps, 21, marriage, dodging bad drivers.

Bay.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Today’s Questions:

freedom, knowledge, experience, my music, my photos.

text messages from politicians asking for money, unsolicited incoming e-mail, having to wear a mask, all TV ads during a show (between shows are okay), people asking me for feedback.

What are some things that aren’t as good as they used to be? Every food item where the sodium has been lowered, all of the meat where the fat has been removed, news reporting, fast food fries (they all taste like paste), movies.

What are some things that are better than they used to be? telephones, computers, quiz shows, cameras

Who were some people who admired when you were growing up, and why? my father, a handful of teachers.

Have you ever played Super Lotto or any of the other state-sponsored betting games? Did you ever win anything? Not more than $100.

Have you ever won anything in a sweepstakes, raffle or lottery? Yes, portable TV

What other games of chance have you played? slot machines, blackjack

Old 06-28-2020, 03:59 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Today’s Questions:
my 1st hippo, some photos, cd player, cooking pot, area rug

telemarketers, junk mail, hip pain, fret work I bought for some unfathomable reason, dust bunnies

my back, my eyes, milk, music, food in general-too many chemical additives

I guess a few comedians-they could make people laugh at themselves

anyone who has the courage to stand against the norm

yes and no

won a $50 gift certificate once. bought a down vest-still have it and still wear it.

What other games of chance have you played

not many for money. I buy raffle tickets sometimes

thanks, BA

Old 06-28-2020, 04:24 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Today’s Questions:
- Anything regarding my health.

Very little when it comes to family but I would not want to lose my brother.

Material things eventually have to be replaced but currently I won't part with my king size bed.

What are five things you’d like to get rid of? -- idk

What are some things that aren’t as good as they used to be? - The chocolate cake doughnut I just bought from WaWa It was replaced with something similar looking but it's not the same.

What are some things that are better than they used to be? - All things medical, electronics, and science based.

Who were some people who admired when you were growing up, and why? - Old Baltimore Oriole baseball players. I always loved the game and I played baseball and softball quite a bit into my early 30s.
Listed in order when I was a kid:

Brooks Robinson
Jim Palmer
Frank Robinson
Luis Aparicio

All are in the Baseball Hall Of Fame.

Who do you admire now, and why? - In the medical field taking risks in order to help others. Those fighting peacefully for basic rights and injustices.

Have you ever played Super Lotto or any of the other state-sponsored betting games? Did you ever win anything? - I seldom played the lottery during my life. Never won anything when I did.

Have you ever won anything in a sweepstakes, raffle or lottery? - I won a waterbed in a radio station contest in the mid 1970s.

What other games of chance have you played? - Slot machines and poker, I guess the latter counts but that was long ago. The last time I played a slot machine was about 2 years ago.

Thanks, Bay!

Last edited by John13; 06-28-2020 at 04:42 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 05:17 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 28, 2020. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people born on this date include composer Richard Rodgers, comedian-actor-director Mel Brooks, actors Pat Morita, Kathy Bates, John Cusack, Mary Stuart Masterson and Aileen Quinn; actress-comedian Gilda Radner, American football coach John Elway, musicians Bobby Bare, Jr. and Kellie Pickler; and Tesla founder Elon Musk.

Today’s Questions:
What are five things you’d never part with?...........Hopefully my husband, family and friends. Life doesn’t always offer you a choice. Everything else is just material.

What are five things you’d like to get rid of?............Judgmental people, people who are abusive to children, elderly people and animals, thieves, Covid 19 and certain politicians.

What are some things that aren’t as good as they used to be?...........The quality of appliances.

What are some things that are better than they used to be?............Vehicles are much safer now than in the past.

................My parents. They were wonderful people who were honest and hard working. Their successes were their own.

Who do you admire now, and why?...............I admire people who are successful but haven’t taken advantage of anyone to be successful.

Have you ever played Super Lotto or any of the other state-sponsored betting games? Did you ever win anything?...........Yes, I’ve only won a couple of dollars.

Have you ever won anything in a sweepstakes, raffle or lottery?.............I have won a couple of door prizes.

What other games of chance have you played?...........Main cards and lottery tickets.

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
- Gilda Radner

Today Is:
Descendants Day
Log Cabin Day
National Logistics Day
Tau Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics