Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:21 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times

Advertisements

I have ASK FOR ID on all my cards too. And half the time I have to remind them to ask. I rip my debit card up as soon as it comes. I use credit cards only and pay the balance off. I get points and there seems to be a lot more checks on credit cards.

I bank with Chase bank. Every day they send me an email with my balance , any deposits and any checks that cashed. Im signed up for their alerts also. Any transaction over $1 on my credit card results in an email to me. Even ones by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
I thought that I was always careful and I was but it is the Big companies that are getting hacked into. I did nothing wrong except shop.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:06 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I thought that I was always careful and I was but it is the Big companies that are getting hacked into. I did nothing wrong except shop.
No more shopping for you missy!

Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM

I thought that this subject was closed until my daughter called me and told me that the exact same thing happened to her AND her husband yesterday.........
This all started with Hannaford Supermarkets....I guess what happened was when it went from Victory to Hannaford's they never changed the system over.

Unbelievable......

Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
My card just got hit. Happily, my bank caught it before I did and shut down the account. They started off with iTunes charges, then tried for a $1400 charge to an online computer place. I have no idea how it got leaked, but I shut down my other credit card. In my moms' group, at least 50% of us have been hit.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Companies do not "allow" others to hack their systems. They try very hard to avoid it.

You were warned and chose not to act in a timely manner. You're lucky your bank is being nice and working to get the money back. They have the rigth, under the circumstances, to not do so since you were warned, chose to not get new cards, chose to not monitor card use and you didn't discover and report the fraud. Why are you angry with the companies? You should be angry with yourself. It's people like you who make these fraud schemes work. They count on people like you. If everyoene acted immeditatly, we'd, collectively, remove the reward for stealing numbers. Because they got away with it with you, they'll try again.

Everytime a company comes up with another line of defense against hackers, they set out to crack it and, eventuallly, do. There's no such thing as an infallible system. If you're going to write off every company that's ever had a breach, you'll have no one to do business with.

It's good to change your cards every now and again even if you're not warned but if warned, call the 1-800 number on the back of the card, cancel the card IMMEDIATELY and apply for a new one. Take it seriously. Crime like this continues because people don't act and they get away with it. We are our own worst enemy here. If we protected our credit as diligently as we should, this kind of crime wouldn't be profitable.

And don't let time give you a false sense of security. Theives sometimes wait months to use numbers thinking, correctly, that people will stop monitoring their accounts once they feel a safe amount of time has passed.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I have ASK FOR ID on all my cards too. And half the time I have to remind them to ask. I rip my debit card up as soon as it comes. I use credit cards only and pay the balance off. I get points and there seems to be a lot more checks on credit cards.

I bank with Chase bank. Every day they send me an email with my balance , any deposits and any checks that cashed. Im signed up for their alerts also. Any transaction over $1 on my credit card results in an email to me. Even ones by me.
This one ticks me off. I have "See ID" in palce of a signature on my cards. I actually had a store refuse to do business with me unless I signed the card. They didn't want to ask for ID.

I told them if you won't do this small thing to protect my credit (after reminding them they'd want TWO pieces of ID to protect themselves if I were writing a check), I didn't need to do business with them and have never gone back.

I make it a point to check my accounts, at least, daily and the bulk of my savings is in an account that does not accept electronic transfers. You have to have a check with a hologram on it to move money out of it. The best line of defense is you.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Relax IvoryTickler....we are not all as perfect as you!

This thread was a warning to DO Not Let this happen to you.
I check my bank balance everyday and the bank caught it as I stated.

When I shop at a store I EXPECT my information to be safe....and no I do not shop where my personal info has been compromised. Are you saying that TJX was the consumers fault also? If you look at the information surrounding Hannaford's breach it was clearly their fault as THEY did not protect their system.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
This thread was a warning to DO Not Let this happen to you. I check my bank balance everyday and the bank caught it as I stated.

When I shop at a store I EXPECT my information to be safe....and no I do not shop where my personal info has been compromised. Are you saying that TJX was the consumers fault also? If you look at the information surrounding Hannaford's breach it was clearly their fault as THEY did not protect their system.
This is an excellent thread and you've done a good job to help us all remember that there are people out there hacking away every day at the personal information of others.

I also expect my information to be safe wherever I choose to shop. I too will exclude any company, store or website where I feel that they have not done all they can to safeguard my data.

Checking my online accounts daily "wastes" about ten minutes a day. You know something? Those are ten easy minutes as compared to the hours of inconvenience one faces when one's data becomes compromised.

Thanks for providing this thread as a way to remind us all the we must remain vigilant against a cadre of "bad guys" out there who are looking for opportunities to steal an easy buck.

Charley

Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Relax IvoryTickler....we are not all as perfect as you!

This thread was a warning to DO Not Let this happen to you.
I check my bank balance everyday and the bank caught it as I stated.

Never claimed to be perfect but I wouldn't be complaining about "companies" when I was warned, took no action and didn't even monitor my accounts. The "companies" aren't to blame for this kind of theft being popular. It's popular because most people think "can't happen to me" and don't act so the numbers are often good.

The OP Is very lucky the bank isn't making her choke on the loss. Given she was warned, took no action, didn't monitor her own account and didn't report the fraud, they actually have the right to say, it's your problem.

This is your money and your credit we're talking about. If YOU don't care about it. Don't expect anyone else to care. It's people who dont' bother who make this kind of theft attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics