U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:39 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,273,041 times

Advertisements

Over the last couple of months there were some reports stating that hackers had gotten into the computer system of one of our local supermarkets but well known around the country (Hannaford's in MA)and stole customer's personal information including debit/credit card information. I thought we were okay as we did not use our PIN number.
I made a mental note after we received a letter from our bank stating that we can change our cards if we wanted to. If we were interested, they would issue new debit/credit cards. Since I absolutely live out of my checkbook, I put it off because it is a hassle. It takes 7-10 days for new ones to be issued.
*This also happened when there was a "security breach" with TJX which covers Home Goods, Marshalls and TJMaxx. This happened last year at Christmastime.

Last Thursday my husband asked me if I had a chance to take care of it with the bank I told him I would do it next week.
The same day we used our debit/credit card to pay for car repairs and other various things. Two hours later, my husband went to use the card and it was rejected. I just thought we exceeded our daily ATM limit and waited until the morning to call the bank. Good thing I called!
The bank shut down our account until we called because someone in Texas was using our card. I thought it was a mistake as I had the card so how could that be? I am in Massachusetts.
Apparently after a system has been hacked into, they sell the numbers...that is all they need.

First they will test the card by taking 1.00 then another and then another to see if they can get away with it. They did this six times and discovered that I HAD NOT cancelled my card. Then, they took MORE and MORE. Six transactions at a gas station in KYLE TEXAS then they moved to WalMart in Texas. Before I knew it, the over $2,000.00 that was in my checkbook became -552.00.

They are getting away with this!!!!!! If the bank knew this was fraud why did they not call the Kyle TX police and tell them someone was using a stolen card over and over at a particular place . I am sure it would have showed on a videotape. Or even Wal-Mart.
It is too trivial to do this according to the bank........WHAT????????????

My bank states that I will get it back although it could take up to a month to fix the damage BUT the people are getting away with it!
Luckily I have savings and could transfer money into my account to cover the checks I had written so that things do not continue to bounce.

My bank told me that their first alert was that someone kept taking $1.00 out of state..that tells them that someone is testing your account.

BOTTOM LINE: If you get word that someone has hacked into a computer system of a company you did business with........CHANGE YOUR CARDS IMMEDIATELY.

I will not NEVER do business with these companies that allow people to hack into their system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

31,304 posts, read 30,977,080 times
Thanks for the information this type of thing is happening too often and without much help from either the banks or the police departments. It’s infuriating to think that we’ve not better protected. However there are things that we can do for ourselves that will help protect us. With this thread maybe some good pointers and suggestions will come up for others.

I always worry when the credit card or debit card is taken “away” from my view. This happens at restaurants most of the time and I can understand that – however this is also a time that an employee can make a copy of information from the card. Not all employees are dishonest but things happen at times and we need to be aware.

Personally I attempt to use only a credit card and payoff the balance each month. The debit card thing just isn’t that attractive to me. With a credit card “most all disputes” can be made without much trouble. I’m not one who likes “online banking” either. This can be a problem as once you have engaged with electronic banking and your pc ~ if anyone gains access to your pc (illegally via the internet or physically) they can view some of the data and information about your account.

On a side note – several years back my wife and I were shopping for Christmas and after about the 15th purchase with the credit card the last store where we were at got a rejection on using the card. We paid by check and after getting home the phone call to the cc provided the information that they worry when so many transactions take place in one day ~ flags go up on the account and they reject any further use of the card.

How about “flags” going up when a card is used out of town or for $1 amount? These are strange and not common with the usage of the card holder so why not “flag” it?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM

One of the things that I didn't understand and never will is that they PAID the merchant knowing the card was a "hot" card yet I had to okay everything I wrote. I think they should penalize the merchants. Aren't clerks supposed to check ID's and signatures?
Maybe more merchants would be more cautious if they did not get their money.
My guess is that because they used this card so many times at one particular place, they are in kahootz with the customer.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,351,140 times
I watched a show on 20/20 that showed when cards or numbers were stolen that they start with a dollar purchase. Within seconds that credit card is maxed out. Most of the purchases were made from people overseas, the cards or numbers are sold to them by people here in the states.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:39 PM

Another thing I remember was several months ago, making a purchase at BestBuy and the clerk at the register asked for the credit card but did not want “other” id ~ even before I asked him to look at my drivers license, he said he didn’t want any other ids only the credit card.

I asked why and he said that the credit card company told BestBuy that too many ID thefts were happening when customers had to show more id to their employees. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I want clerks to ask for a 2nd id when using my card. And no I don’t want store employees to use my additional id to help them steel my personal id and credit card info. No other store has gone to this type of policy that I know of.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:29 PM

53,833 posts, read 32,222,820 times
That is terrible CW! It might be a good idea to check your account online on regular basis, at least 4 times a week. I do, and I heard about those hackers that stole the information, luckily, I don't shop at those places, but after I heard about the TJX breach, and just to be safe, I was checking my account to make sure the hackers didn't get hold of my credit and debit card numbers.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:01 AM

I do check my account at least twice a day Mike (I am self-employed so I make sure all the checks I receive clear the bank)..The funny thing is we have used this supermarket only twice. It had changed names and at the previous one I always wrote checks. When this market took over I really didn't like it and never got a check cashing card. I always write checks...yes, I am one of those darn checkwriters.
Anyway, we used the debit/credit as credit. Next thing we knew..we were victims.

I don't understand why the banks don't immediately call these places and tell them a stolen card is being used. I know it is a hassle but my guess is they would have caught this person as it kept happening at a particular place...my guess is they don't care, they have insurance...what I lost at the time is also trivial to them, not to me...it's pretty important. Good thing I did not put my tax refund into that account.

I am grateful that my bank shut everything down immediately but what I don't understand is why they got paid. It happened on a Thursday afternoon and hit my bank on Monday morning. Friday,we thought that they had only used $1.00 x 6..... wrong!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,185,716 times
I use to keep a rather large sum in my checking account but since all this has started, I dump the excess into savings and keep only a little in checking now. There HAS to be a way to put a stop to this if the banks and merchants would just work together. At my bank yesterday, I went to cash a $500 check and I had to ASK if she wanted to see some ID before she cashed it otherwise, she would have cashed it without seeing that I was who I said I was... This kind of relaxed attitude really confuses and alarms me!

Something else that confuses me is I had went there before and asked them what I could to to prevent this ID theft from my accounts and they said not to worry about it, if someone stole my money out of my account, they HAD to replace it.. Ha! Now I get calls and stuff in the mail for ID theft insurance from them.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
At my bank yesterday, I went to cash a $500 check and I had to ASK if she wanted to see some ID before she cashed it otherwise, she would have cashed it without seeing that I was who I said I was... This kind of relaxed attitude really confuses and alarms me!
That’s inexcusable for anyone especially a bank to fail and ask for ID! I always “thank” those who do ask for more ID.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Several years ago I had a problem with the Credit Union that I was a member of and used where I worked. They had mistakenly in error started sending my monthly statements to another person who had the same name as me and who was also a member of the Credit Union. Had to believe there are two of us with the same name. Anyway the other member closed his account and the Credit Union did that for him, but also changed the address on my statement to his address.

He starts receiving the statements and decided to withdraw about $5000 bucks. The credit union office gave him the money in a cashiers check. He attempts to cash the check at one of those small check cashing locations in town. The clerk there sees that something is wrong with this type of action and questions why would someone do this?

They didn’t get the check cashed only because of the “attention” paid by the employee who worked there at the check cashing store.

I contact and visit the manager of the credit union and we go over this problem. She told me that I had to file a report with the police department (in the other town) to make charges against this other person. The manager was adamant that “I” had to file the report. I reminded her that “I” was the customer and that “they” gave money away from my account incorrectly, that “they” made the mistake, and that “they” needed to file fraud charges against the other person who “illegally” attempted and committed fraud against the Credit Union. She was totally incompetent as a manager and I closed my account and took my money elsewhere. What a stupid @ss these people are who handle our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics