Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 04:00 AM

16,882 posts, read 16,000,081 times

Advertisements

It's a font color experiment!

~ Please list a prefix or more, along with a few word examples that have them. And how about giving a basic definition of what each prefix generally means...just because it might be some geeky fun for us! :

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason?

~ 'How are you doing?'

~ Have you heard any animal sounds in the night?

~ Have you ever seen an owl in the wild?

~ Any sweetened cereal that you ever liked?

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often?

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet?

~ Do you ever use a microwave on a setting of less than %100 power?

~ Have you ever been to a planetarium show?

~ Who or what would be suspect #1 if you found your garbage can had been raided during the night?

~ There were 3 yolks in one egg in an egg I had a week ago. And, one time, years ago, I had a dozen eggs where 11 of them had double yolks. Please tell us all one of your egg stories! It can be anything at all as long as it has an egg in it!

*** My oh my, a little dab'll do ya!***

~ A place where you might find a 'dab':

See yas next Friday and keep your lamps trimmed and burning!

Last edited by rainroosty; 01-29-2021 at 04:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 04:10 AM

16,882 posts, read 16,000,081 times
Oh! My font color experiment didn't work at all!

Old 01-29-2021, 04:14 AM

21,401 posts, read 8,616,856 times
Black is a color.

~ Please list a prefix or more, along with a few word examples that have them. And how about giving a basic definition of what each prefix generally means...just because it might be some geeky fun for us! :
When you said "prefix," the first thing I thought of were the old phone prefixes: ATwater, CHerry, BUtterfield, etc.

But if you mean word prefixes, how about "gyno?" It means "woman" in Greek. Examples: gynecologist, gynophobia, gynocracy.
Also, "ab." It means "away from" in Latin. Examples: abstain, absence, abhor.

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason?
I can't think of a specific example, but as a rule I like the questions that can be answered with funny or serious real-life stories. I also enjoy the food questions.

~ 'How are you doing?'
Fine, thanks. I'm going to bed right after I post this. How are you, Roosty? You gave us a scare last week.

If you go outside and listen carefully, you can sometimes hear owls in the trees across the street. Some neighbors have been complaining that they can hear coyotes howling, but I've never heard that.

Yes. One time a young Great Horned Owl landed on my deck railing. It sat there for quite a long while. I took a picture through the screen door.

I used to love (what were then called) Sugar Crisp, Sugar Jets and Sugar Corn Pops. Nowadays I prefer my cereal unsweetened.

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often?
Chicken. I never get tired of it. Mr. Bay said last night that my chicken piccata is better than the one they serve at our favorite Italian restaurant.

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet?
Once in a while I make BLTs on toast. I've never tried making a toasted English muffin in a skillet, but I'm sure that I could.

Yes, to soften butter when I'm baking. I use a very low power, say 2 or 3, for just 10 or 15 seconds. I also like to use a lower power to reheat uncovered food that might splatter.

Yes, a few times. I really enjoy those.

~ Who or what would be suspect #1 if you found your garbage can had been raided during the night?
Raccoons. They are brazen.

~ There were 3 yolks in one egg in an egg I had a week ago. And, one time, years ago, I had a dozen eggs where 11 of them had double yolks. Please tell us all one of your egg stories! It can be anything at all as long as it has an egg in it!
Once I dropped an entire carton of eggs on a white ceramic tile kitchen floor. What a holy mess that was.

Brylcreem! "The gals will all pursue ya."

The nearest cannabis dispensary.

Quote:
See has next Friday and keep your lamps trimmed and burning!
I will if you will. Thanks, Roosty!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 01-29-2021 at 04:28 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 06:37 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,589,513 times

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason? The questions about horses and cowboys.

~ 'How are you doing?' Fine.

~ Have you heard any animal sounds in the night? A Bassett hound snoring and groaning. The hound is 13.

~ Have you ever seen an owl in the wild? Yes, it was a hoot.

~ Any sweetened cereal that you ever liked? Fruit loops

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often? Not often. But I do like them. I made some the other day with diced roasted peppers and cheddar cheese.

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet? Toast? I have. A toaster oven that’s handy as everything. I’m sure you can toast an English muffin in a skillet

~ Do you ever use a microwave on a setting of less than %100 power? Yes.

~ Have you ever been to a planetarium show? Yes

~ Who or what would be suspect #1 if you found your garbage can had been raided during the night? Critter of some sort

~ There were 3 yolks in one egg in an egg I had a week ago. And, one time, years ago, I had a dozen eggs where 11 of them had double yolks. Please tell us all one of your egg stories! It can be anything at all as long as it has an egg in it! My stories are not all they’re cracked up to be.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:45 AM

30,229 posts, read 15,995,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

anti-against as in antiNuclear

ante-before as in antepasta salad

nothing specific stands out but I like weird unusual questions.

~ 'How are you doing?'
just sitting here chillin'. (bad joke-it's 10 degrees outside)

not lately.

yes. beautiful animals.

Honey Nut Cheerios is the only one.

blueberries. They've been on sale.

my toaster only toasts. Not into English muffins.

no

no but sounds enjoyable.

raccoons here too. They're only cute in photos.

I could tell you what happens when you drop raw eggs on the floor but it's just too messy.

BrylCream?

thanks, roosty.

neatsy cool questions regardless of color or font.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:36 AM

7,305 posts, read 5,435,267 times

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason? No particular one.

~ 'How are you doing?' Ok.

~ Have you heard any animal sounds in the night? Sometimes cats fighting.

~ Have you ever seen an owl in the wild? Yes

~ Any sweetened cereal that you ever liked? Frosted Flakes.

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often? Pizza. Mexican food.

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Yes. Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet? Yes

~ Do you ever use a microwave on a setting of less than %100 power? Yes

~ Have you ever been to a planetarium show? Yes

~ Who or what would be suspect #1 if you found your garbage can had been raided during the night? Raccoon

My great aunt had a farm. My sister and I were city girls and told to go get the eggs. We were scared of the chickens. My aunt wanted us to grab the chickens and throw them off the nests and get the eggs and we just couldn’t do it.

~ A place where you might find a 'dab': a dab of perfume on your wrist.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:42 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,867,237 times
[quote=rainroosty;60282003]

~ Please list a prefix or more, along with a few word examples that have them. And how about giving a basic definition of what each prefix generally means...just because it might be some geeky fun for us! : auto...autobiography

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason? It is every day of the week fun to come here and answer all sorts of questions

~ 'How are you doing?' Except for my arthritis I am doing fine thank you for asking roosty How are you feeling roosty,hopefully much better!

~ Have you heard any animal sounds in the night? Nothing lately

~ Have you ever seen an owl in the wild? Yes and they are beautiful creatures

~ Any sweetened cereal that you ever liked? No,I prefer my daily homemade muesli

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often? Every day 1 grapefruit and one orange

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Sometimes Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet? Never did

~ Do you ever use a microwave on a setting of less than %100 power? I never owned a microwave oven

~ Have you ever been to a planetarium show? No

~ Who or what would be suspect #1 if you found your garbage can had been raided during the night? Racoon most likely or maybe even skunks

~ There were 3 yolks in one egg in an egg I had a week ago. And, one time, years ago, I had a dozen eggs where 11 of them had double yolks. Please tell us all one of your egg stories! It can be anything at all as long as it has an egg in it! I only found a few times 2 yolks in a large egg

THANK YOU roosty

Old 01-29-2021, 07:55 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,677,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
coyote yapping away.

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason?Food questions work for me!

~ 'How are you doing?'Moving a little slow but am vertical!!

~ Have you heard any animal sounds in the night?Been a long time but I was staying at my sisters house and heard a coyote yapping for a couple hours.

~ Have you ever seen an owl in the wild? yes, several times

~ Any sweetened cereal that you ever liked? Honey nut cheerios, will have some here in a bit!

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often?Marie Calender's pot pies. Why? 'Cause I have a big pot and I always like to put pie in it!

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet?just toast

~ Do you ever use a microwave on a setting of less than %100 power?no

~ Have you ever been to a planetarium show?Yes, a couple times, been a few decades ago--the planetarium at the Air Force Academy north of Colorado Springs

~ Who or what would be suspect #1 if you found your garbage can had been raided during the night? a few stray cats make their way to my place, been a while since I've seen them though.

*** My oh my, a little dab'll do ya!***Ah, Brylcream! Yep, I'm old!

Trimmed and burning! AH, a little Hot Tuna off their first lp, and the live concert lp from 1978--cool! Saw them in concert three times==70's, 80's, 90's!! Hope everyone has a great weekend--, I'm stocking up on food at the store this morning--5 days of snow heading in my direction!! Need the moisture--real bad!

Old 01-29-2021, 08:09 AM

49,976 posts, read 63,301,795 times

~ Please list a prefix or more, along with a few word examples that have them. And how about giving a basic definition of what each prefix generally means...just because it might be some geeky fun for us! :Ouch. I hate when you make me think so early in the day. How about “un”, as in I am unable to think up a good one?

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason? It seems like I can blather on about almost any question.

~ 'How are you doing?' I’m doing great. Nothing planned for the day, except starting some seeds, and baking some cookies.

~ Have you heard any animal sounds in the night? For the past few weeks the doves have been cooing their brains out.

~ Have you ever seen an owl in the wild? Yes, when we lived in the country, we saw several. Once dh saw a snowy owl pounce on a squirrel who was under the snow. It was rare for a snowy owl to be so far south (Ohio), but a bitterly cold winter had driven it south from Canada. Also, when we lived in the suburbs, a baby owl fell down our chimney. The animal control folks captured it and released it.

~ Any sweetened cereal that you ever liked? I like Life cereal, and Frosted Mini wheats. A little sweet, but not too much

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often? I like cinnamon raisin bagels or toast.

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet? I use the toaster every day. Never made an English muffin in a skillet, but I have toasted them under the broiler.

~ Do you ever use a microwave on a setting of less than %100 power? Yes, I use the thaw setting a lot.

~ Have you ever been to a planetarium show? No

I would suspect raccoons, although we haven’t had any here.

~ There were 3 yolks in one egg in an egg I had a week ago. And, one time, years ago, I had a dozen eggs where 11 of them had double yolks. Please tell us all one of your egg stories! It can be anything at all as long as it has an egg in it! Egg salad is one of my favorite things.

~ A place where you might find a 'dab':A dab of mustard goes a long way.

See yas next Friday and keep your lamps trimmed and burning! Thanks!

Old 01-29-2021, 09:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,155,784 times
"mis" - incorrectly, or wrongly - misjudge, misinterpret, misguided, mismatch, misplace

~ Has there been a question during the past week that you particularly enjoyed for some reason? Actually, several, it's been a good week for the QOD.

~ 'How are you doing?' Just fine, thanks for asking.

~ Have you heard any animal sounds in the night? Yes, most often dogs barking, a Barred Owl, or Coyotes.

~ Have you ever seen an owl in the wild? Yes, most recently on our back fence.

~ Any sweetened cereal that you ever liked? Trix!

~ I still am eating my grits, with lots of butter and salt. What is something you've been eating often? We put garlic and cheese in our grits, but most often for us is fish, twice a week. Mostly Salmon, Cod, and Sole.

~ Do you use a toaster to make anything? Can you make a toasted English muffin in a skillet? No, we use a toaster oven now, but have made English Muffins from scratch in a skillet.

~ Do you ever use a microwave on a setting of less than %100 power? Rarely

~ Have you ever been to a planetarium show? Many years ago, San Francisco when in Jr. High School.

~ Who or what would be suspect #1 if you found your garbage can had been raided during the night? Racoons, I catch them on my game camera at least 3 times a week.

~ There were 3 yolks in one egg in an egg I had a week ago. And, one time, years ago, I had a dozen eggs where 11 of them had double yolks. Please tell us all one of your egg stories! It can be anything at all as long as it has an egg in it! I have had double a few times, never triple. Just last week our neighbor gave us some brown eggs from their chickens, very bright orange yolks, and much better tasting than store eggs.

~ A place where you might find a 'dab': A dab of Neosporin on the cut on my pinky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics