Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 06:37 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

In the US those receiving Social Security can file from age 62 onward. What age did you/will you file for or receive your government pension (Social Security or whatever it's called where you live)? I was out of a job at 64, and did not find another full time job in my field, so I decided to retire then.

Are you/were you prepared for retirement, not necessarily a financial question though any answers are welcome? No, I was not mentally ready.

What might you do or might you have done differently to prepare for retirement? I would have looked for a new job when I knew the bank I worked for was circling the drain.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
-Burger or sandwich buns with sesame seeds or without or it doesn't matter? I like either, although I avoid tiny seeds that get stuck between teeth.

-Lettuce on a sandwich, whole leaf or shredded or not at all? Nice green leaf.

-Cheese on a burger or sandwich: American, Monterey jack or which other type cheese or none? If it’s not bold tasting, like white cheddar or blue, I skip it.

Just to:
Can you think of something(s) hard to do without thumbs? Knit

That's it, for now. Have an acceptable Wednesday! So far, very acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 06:46 AM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Here we go with another set of . . .

Today's Question(s):
In the US those receiving Social Security can file from age 62 onward. What age did you/will you file for or receive your government pension (Social Security or whatever it's called where you live)? I will delay it for few more years

Are you/were you prepared for retirement, not necessarily a financial question though any answers are welcome? Yes I was

What might you do or might you have done differently to prepare for retirement?
I am quite content the way things worked out

Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
-Burger or sandwich buns with sesame seeds or without or it doesn't matter? Yes I like sesame buns or other whole grain/everything buns

-Lettuce on a sandwich, whole leaf or shredded or not at all? Yes I like lettuce on it

-Cheese on a burger or sandwich: American, Monterey jack or which other type cheese or none? I like all of the above including Swiss cheese or Canadian cheddar cheese

Just to:
Can you think of something(s) hard to do without thumbs?
Holding a pen/pencil,writing,picking items up or eat properly

That's it, for now. Have an acceptable Wednesday!
THANK YOU bjh

Old 02-24-2021, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Today's Question(s):
In the US those receiving Social Security can file from age 62 onward. What age did you/will you file for or receive your government pension (Social Security or whatever it's called where you live)? I'm 68 now, planning to retire at 70. I'll then get a pension, social security, and two other retirement funds. It will end up altogether only about 65% of what I make working.

Are you/were you prepared for retirement, not necessarily a financial question though any answers are welcome? No, because we plan to sell and move, but still have a lot of "stuff" to get rid of in order to downsize.

What might you do or might you have done differently to prepare for retirement? Start getting rid of stuff 5 years ago.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
-Burger or sandwich buns with sesame seeds or without or it doesn't matter? With!

-Lettuce on a sandwich, whole leaf or shredded or not at all? Whole leaf, I hate having shredded falling out all over the place.

[b] -Cheese on a burger or sandwich: American, Monterey jack or which other type cheese or none? Cheddar, or Swiss.

Just to:
Can you think of something(s) hard to do without thumbs? Giving a thumbs up!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Today's Question(s):
In the US those receiving Social Security can file from age 62 onward. What age did you/will you file for or receive your government pension (Social Security or whatever it's called where you live)?
I applied at 64, started drawing at 65.

Are you/were you prepared for retirement, not necessarily a financial question though any answers are welcome?
My financial advisor said I was set, mentally I wanted to finish a project I was working on.

Probably pump more money into retirement funds.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
-Burger or sandwich buns with sesame seeds or without or it doesn't matter?
Doesn't matter.

-Lettuce on a sandwich, whole leaf or shredded or not at all?
Hold the lettuce.

-Cheese on a burger or sandwich: American, Monterey jack or which other type cheese or none?
I would like pepper jack please.

Just to:
Play a guitar or banjo and play marbles. Start screws/nuts in/on threads.

Thanx bjh, the Q's are definitely acceptable.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 AM

12,266 posts, read 2,966,052 times
Today's Question(s):
In the US those receiving Social Security can file from age 62 onward. What age did you/will you file for or receive your government pension (Social Security or whatever it's called where you live)?
Not sure yet.

Are you/were you prepared for retirement, not necessarily a financial question though any answers are welcome?
Too far away to give a good answer..
I know you need to save.
Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
With.[/b]
None.
-Cheese on a burger or sandwich: American, Monterey jack or which other type cheese or none?
American.
Just to:
Texting

Old 02-24-2021, 12:42 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Today's Question(s):
I retired from Federal Civil Service under the old CSRS system the same day as I turned 50 under an "early-out but no buy-out" Congressional authority that had been granted to my last agency. Weighing on this decision, was the fact that, since its inception in 1986 by Ronald Reagan until I retired, I had also been saving the maximum amount (unmatched) into the new FERS Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).[

In regard to SS, I filed several months after I turned 62 for the small amount of SS I had earned before, during and after my military time. I say small because my SS is impacted by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).

I think so both mentally and financially.

About the only thing I can think of is that, although I kept my family's health insurance into retirement, that maybe I should have also kept my life insurance?

Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
Doesn't really matter.

Yes. Whole leaf.

American cheese please.

Just to:
Some biologists believe that, evolutionarily speaking, humans wouldn't be where we are today had we not had thumbs. So, had you and I no thumbs, it seems quite possible that you could not ask this question nor I answer it?

You too BJH and thanks.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:44 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Just to:
Some biologists believe that, evolutionarily speaking, humans wouldn't be where we are today had we not had thumbs. So, had you and I no thumbs, it seems quite possible that you could not ask this question nor I answer it?
True! and here's another thumb:

Today's Question(s):
Yes.
May relocate one day. Haven't decided.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
I like sesame seeds, but won't be disappointed either way.
Shredded.

American on burgers, Swiss with ham, Monterey jack or Cheddar with some sandwiches.

Just to:
One word: buttons.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:50 PM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Today's Question(s):
I'm still working full-time but only a few years away from retirement. I'm ready right now but can't afford to.
See above.
Start saving for it earlier.
Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:
Doesn't matter
Doesn't matter
American processed
Just to:
Eat with utensils.

Happy Hump Day!

Old 02-26-2021, 08:26 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Here we go with another set of . . .

Today's Question(s):
Will file for my SS when I am 66.5.

I did not want to retire at 57 but my job took a real toll my body. As much as I loved my job, it was getting harder to get going each day.

Would have invested in that bookstore called Amazon. Would have done the traveling part of my job earlier in my life.

Foodie Question(s):
Do you like:

-Cheese on a burger or sandwich: American, Monterey jack or which other type cheese or none? Cheddar

Just to:
Play cards

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics