U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 09:38 PM

18,810 posts, read 6,612,672 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, May 30, 2121. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Some famous people born on this date include film director Howard Hawks, producer Irving Thalberg, voice artist Mel Blanc, jazz clarinetist Benny Goodman, actress, writer, and producer Agnès Varda, actors Keir Dullea and Colm Meany, football star Gayle Sayers, singer-songwriters and actresses Wynonna Judd, Idina Menzel and CeeLo Green.

Today’s Questions:
I’ve just won a lifetime supply of what’s on your left. What did I win?

What (if anything) do you do for exercise?

Are there any condiments you like so well that you could eat them with a spoon?

What is the farthest distance you have driven?

If you had to move to another country, where would you go?

What has been on your “to-do” list the longest?

Today in History:
AD 70 – Siege of Jerusalem: Titus and his Roman legions breach the Second Wall of Jerusalem. Jewish defenders retreat to the First Wall. The Romans build a circumvallation, cutting down all trees within fifteen kilometres.
1381 – Beginning of the Peasants' Revolt in England.
1431 – Hundred Years' War: In Rouen, France, the 19-year-old Joan of Arc is burned at the stake by an English-dominated tribunal. The Roman Catholic Church remembers this day as the celebration of Saint Joan of Arc.
1536 – King Henry VIII of England marries Jane Seymour, a lady-in-waiting to his first two wives.
1539 – In Florida, Hernando de Soto lands at Tampa Bay with 600 soldiers with the goal of finding gold.
1574 – Henry III becomes King of France.
1588 – The last ship of the Spanish Armada sets sail from Lisbon heading for the English Channel.
1631 – Publication of Gazette de France, the first French newspaper.
1635 – Thirty Years' War: The Peace of Prague is signed.
1642 – From this date, all honors granted by Charles I of England are retroactively annulled by Parliament.
1806 – Future U.S. President Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel.
1814 – The First Treaty of Paris is signed, returning the French frontiers to their 1792 extent, and restoring the House of Bourbon to power.
1842 – John Francis attempts to murder Queen Victoria as she drives down Constitution Hill in London with Prince Albert.
1854 – The Kansas–Nebraska Act becomes law establishing the U.S. territories of Kansas and Nebraska.
1868 – Decoration Day (the predecessor of the modern "Memorial Day") is observed in the United States for the first time after a proclamation by John A. Logan, head of the Grand Army of the Republic (a veterans group).
1899 – Pearl Hart, a female outlaw of the Old West, robs a stagecoach 30 miles southeast of Globe, Arizona.
1911 – At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the first Indianapolis 500 ends with Ray Harroun in his Marmon Wasp becoming the first winner of the 500-mile auto race.
1913 – The Treaty of London is signed, ending the First Balkan War; Albania becomes an independent nation.
1914 – The new, and then the largest, Cunard ocean liner RMS Aquitania, 45,647 tons, sets sails on her maiden voyage from Liverpool, England, to New York City.
1922 – The Lincoln Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C..
1937 – Memorial Day massacre: Chicago police shoot and kill ten labor demonstrators.
1941 – World War II: Manolis Glezos and Apostolos Santas climb the Athenian Acropolis and tear down the German flag.
1942 – World War II: One thousand British bombers launch a 90-minute attack on Cologne, Germany.
1943 – The Holocaust: Josef Mengele becomes chief medical officer of the Zigeunerfamilienlager (Romani family camp) at Auschwitz concentration camp.
1958 – Memorial Day: The remains of two unidentified American servicemen, killed in action during World War II and the Korean War respectively, are buried at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.
1959 – The Auckland Harbour Bridge, crossing the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland, New Zealand, is officially opened by Governor-General Charles Lyttelton, 10th Viscount Cobham.
1961 – The long-time Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo is assassinated in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
1967 – The Nigerian Eastern Region declares independence as the Republic of Biafra, sparking a civil war.
1968 – Charles de Gaulle reappears publicly after his flight to Baden-Baden, Germany, and dissolves the French National Assembly by a radio appeal. Immediately after, less than one million of his supporters march on the Champs-Élysées in Paris. This is the turning point of May, 1968 events in France.
1971 – Mariner program: Mariner 9 is launched to map 70% of the surface, and to study temporal changes in the atmosphere and surface, of Mars.
1974 – The Airbus A300 passenger aircraft first enters service.
1975 – European Space Agency is established.
1982 – Cold War: Spain joins NATO.
1989 – Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: The 10-metre high "Goddess of Democracy" statue is unveiled in Tiananmen Square by student demonstrators.
1990 – Croatian Parliament is constituted after the first free, multi-party elections, today celebrated as the National Day of Croatia.
1998 – The 6.5 MwAfghanistan earthquake shakes the Takhar Province of northern Afghanistan with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong), killing around 4,000–4,500.
1998 – Nuclear Testing: Pakistan conducts an underground test in the Kharan Desert. It is reported to be a plutonium device with yield of 20kt TNT equivalent.
2013 – Nigeria passes a law banning same-sex marriage.
2020 – The Crew Dragon Demo-2 launches from the Kennedy Space Center, becoming the first crewed orbital spacecraft to launch from the United States since 2011.

Word of the Day
e•mol•u•mentĭ-mŏlyə-mənt noun

· Payment for an office or employment; compensation.
· The profit arising from office or employment; that which is received as a compensation for services, or which is annexed to the possession of office, as salary, fees, and perquisites.
· Profit; advantage; gain in general; that which promotes the good of any person or thing.

Quote of the Day:
“I'm curious. Period. I find everything interesting. Real life. Fake life. Objects. Flowers. Cats. But mostly people. If you keep your eyes open and your mind open, everything can be interesting.”
- Agnès Varda

Today Is:
Trinity Sunday
World MS Day
World Otter Day
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 11:08 PM

36,127 posts, read 36,511,660 times
Today’s Questions:
A microphone, a port hub, speakers, pens, a CD/DVD writer, 3 external hard drives, memory card reader, and on the floor to my left, my computer and battery back-up. (If you won what was to the right of me, you would have gotten more traditional things that people keep on or next to their desk).

What (if anything) do you do for exercise? I don't do exercise/exercise, that is, if you called it "exercise," I probably wouldn't do it. Example: When I was younger and walked or rode my bike a lot, it was to get to a destination. If you said it was just for exercise, I know I wouldn't have done it.

Are there any condiments you like so well that you could eat them with a spoon? No

What is the farthest distance you have driven? Tennessee to the east end of Long Island, New York.

If you had to move to another country, where would you go? Canada. I would only move to someplace I could drive to and I don't like hot weather so going north, it is.

What has been on your “to-do” list the longest? Buying a tablet. I'm going to need help buying one and I haven't been inside a regular store (meaning not a supermarket or pharmacy) in almost 2 years. Don't want some store clerk following me around. I've also put off eye doctor visit and mammogram because it would involve someone hovering over me but I didn't procrastinate after those last appointments like I have with buying a tablet. I hate shopping, covid or no covid.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:18 AM

9,472 posts, read 5,284,643 times
Today’s Questions:
Cats. You just won a lifetime supply of Kitty Cats.
That can vary greatly from week to week.

To Salt Lake City from Kentucky going there, a longer route (It was January and we were trying to avoid the snowiest path there) we went through Missouri,Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona then up to Utah.
On the way back we went through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri.
Canada.
It's been on the list so long that I forgot what it was.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:20 AM

20,229 posts, read 12,397,622 times
Today’s Questions:

a battery operated clock with a hippo on the face, a paper calendar with photos of local stuff (local bank sponsored annually)l a bulletin board with various reminders, phone numbers and a photo of a deceased friend.

tai chi every day, walk occasionally

nope

from Wellsboro, PA to Imperial, TX. years ago.

Canada, either Prince Edward Island or Nova Scotia

I don't really have a to do list.
I don't have a bucket list.
I occasionally make a grocery list but usually not.

Maybe the answer to the question is: make a list of something.

Thanks, BA.
have a great day, all

Old 05-30-2021, 02:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 7,460,311 times
Today’s Questions:
I’ve just won a lifetime supply of what’s on your left. What did I win? - A 40 inch LG TV.

What (if anything) do you do for exercise? - Average 45 minute brisk walk around my neighborhood and local park. I have a usual route but mix it up from time to time. Nice to see small gardens and historic houses from the early 1900s. I look forward to it everyday and feel I accomplished something when I'm done. I feel great and I'm never out of breath.

Are there any condiments you like so well that you could eat them with a spoon? - No

What is the farthest distance you have driven? - 1,000 miles - Maryland to Florida.

If you had to move to another country, where would you go? - Only interested in Canada. I would love to go, actually...

What has been on your “to-do” list the longest? - The trunk of my car needs some attention but not much and I'm not in a rush.

Thanks, Bay!

Old 05-30-2021, 06:29 AM

122,530 posts, read 15,994,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, May 30, 2121. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Some famous people born on this date include film director Howard Hawks, producer Irving Thalberg, voice artist Mel Blanc, jazz clarinetist Benny Goodman, actress, writer, and producer Agnès Varda, actors Keir Dullea and Colm Meany, football star Gayle Sayers, singer-songwriters and actresses Wynonna Judd, Idina Menzel and CeeLo Green.

Today’s Questions:
I’ve just won a lifetime supply of what’s on your left. What did I win?................ Bowl of fruits

What (if anything) do you do for exercise?.............I have a stationary bike and elliptical trainer and do daily 1 hour exercise and keep busy in the garden,hiking, walking and in summer long distance tours

........No

What is the farthest distance you have driven?........To the West Coast taking turns driving a few 100 km

If you had to move to another country, where would you go?.........I would love to see New Zealand or Australia

What has been on your “to-do” list the longest?........... Nothing really all caught up

Today in History:
AD 70 – Siege of Jerusalem: Titus and his Roman legions breach the Second Wall of Jerusalem. Jewish defenders retreat to the First Wall. The Romans build a circumvallation, cutting down all trees within fifteen kilometres.
1381 – Beginning of the Peasants' Revolt in England.
1431 – Hundred Years' War: In Rouen, France, the 19-year-old Joan of Arc is burned at the stake by an English-dominated tribunal. The Roman Catholic Church remembers this day as the celebration of Saint Joan of Arc.
1536 – King Henry VIII of England marries Jane Seymour, a lady-in-waiting to his first two wives.
1539 – In Florida, Hernando de Soto lands at Tampa Bay with 600 soldiers with the goal of finding gold.
1574 – Henry III becomes King of France.
1588 – The last ship of the Spanish Armada sets sail from Lisbon heading for the English Channel.
1631 – Publication of Gazette de France, the first French newspaper.
1635 – Thirty Years' War: The Peace of Prague is signed.
1642 – From this date, all honors granted by Charles I of England are retroactively annulled by Parliament.
1806 – Future U.S. President Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel.
1814 – The First Treaty of Paris is signed, returning the French frontiers to their 1792 extent, and restoring the House of Bourbon to power.
1842 – John Francis attempts to murder Queen Victoria as she drives down Constitution Hill in London with Prince Albert.
1854 – The Kansas–Nebraska Act becomes law establishing the U.S. territories of Kansas and Nebraska.
1868 – Decoration Day (the predecessor of the modern "Memorial Day") is observed in the United States for the first time after a proclamation by John A. Logan, head of the Grand Army of the Republic (a veterans group).
1899 – Pearl Hart, a female outlaw of the Old West, robs a stagecoach 30 miles southeast of Globe, Arizona.
1911 – At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the first Indianapolis 500 ends with Ray Harroun in his Marmon Wasp becoming the first winner of the 500-mile auto race.
1913 – The Treaty of London is signed, ending the First Balkan War; Albania becomes an independent nation.
1914 – The new, and then the largest, Cunard ocean liner RMS Aquitania, 45,647 tons, sets sails on her maiden voyage from Liverpool, England, to New York City.
1922 – The Lincoln Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C..
1937 – Memorial Day massacre: Chicago police shoot and kill ten labor demonstrators.
1941 – World War II: Manolis Glezos and Apostolos Santas climb the Athenian Acropolis and tear down the German flag.
1942 – World War II: One thousand British bombers launch a 90-minute attack on Cologne, Germany.
1943 – The Holocaust: Josef Mengele becomes chief medical officer of the Zigeunerfamilienlager (Romani family camp) at Auschwitz concentration camp.
1958 – Memorial Day: The remains of two unidentified American servicemen, killed in action during World War II and the Korean War respectively, are buried at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.
1959 – The Auckland Harbour Bridge, crossing the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland, New Zealand, is officially opened by Governor-General Charles Lyttelton, 10th Viscount Cobham.
1961 – The long-time Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo is assassinated in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
1967 – The Nigerian Eastern Region declares independence as the Republic of Biafra, sparking a civil war.
1968 – Charles de Gaulle reappears publicly after his flight to Baden-Baden, Germany, and dissolves the French National Assembly by a radio appeal. Immediately after, less than one million of his supporters march on the Champs-Élysées in Paris. This is the turning point of May, 1968 events in France.
1971 – Mariner program: Mariner 9 is launched to map 70% of the surface, and to study temporal changes in the atmosphere and surface, of Mars.
1974 – The Airbus A300 passenger aircraft first enters service.
1975 – European Space Agency is established.
1982 – Cold War: Spain joins NATO.
1989 – Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: The 10-metre high "Goddess of Democracy" statue is unveiled in Tiananmen Square by student demonstrators.
1990 – Croatian Parliament is constituted after the first free, multi-party elections, today celebrated as the National Day of Croatia.
1998 – The 6.5 MwAfghanistan earthquake shakes the Takhar Province of northern Afghanistan with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong), killing around 4,000–4,500.
1998 – Nuclear Testing: Pakistan conducts an underground test in the Kharan Desert. It is reported to be a plutonium device with yield of 20kt TNT equivalent.
2013 – Nigeria passes a law banning same-sex marriage.
2020 – The Crew Dragon Demo-2 launches from the Kennedy Space Center, becoming the first crewed orbital spacecraft to launch from the United States since 2011.

Word of the Day
e•mol•u•mentĭ-mŏlyə-mənt noun

· Payment for an office or employment; compensation.
· The profit arising from office or employment; that which is received as a compensation for services, or which is annexed to the possession of office, as salary, fees, and perquisites.
· Profit; advantage; gain in general; that which promotes the good of any person or thing.

Quote of the Day:
“I'm curious. Period. I find everything interesting. Real life. Fake life. Objects. Flowers. Cats. But mostly people. If you keep your eyes open and your mind open, everything can be interesting.”
- Agnès Varda

Today Is:
Trinity Sunday
World MS Day
World Otter Day

THANK YOU Bayarea

Old 05-30-2021, 06:55 AM

3,108 posts, read 2,471,132 times
I’ve just won a lifetime supply of what’s on your left. What did I win? a pair of glasses

What (if anything) do you do for exercise? a plank for one minute and 10 seconds each morning

Are there any condiments you like so well that you could eat them with a spoon? if chocolate on top of a sundae is considered a condiment, I'll take that

What is the farthest distance you have driven? Las Vegas the long way back to Maine

If you had to move to another country, where would you go? next door to Canada

What has been on your “to-do” list the longest? remodel the second floor

Old 05-30-2021, 07:13 AM

9,026 posts, read 14,523,704 times
Today’s Questions:
I’ve just won a lifetime supply of what’s on your left. What did I win? You got a lifetime supply of my wife's recliner and all her meds.

What (if anything) do you do for exercise? As little as possible

Are there any condiments you like so well that you could eat them with a spoon? Sweet relish and sweet salad chunks

What is the farthest distance you have driven? Kentucky to Pa, to south Ga., back to Ky...in 2 1/2 days

If you had to move to another country, where would you go? I guess I'd say Canada

What has been on your “to-do” list the longest? Fixing things in this house. Waiting to win the lottery before I could afford most of it. lol

Old 05-30-2021, 07:36 AM

4,523 posts, read 1,960,885 times
A bedroom wall. I am lying in bed.

No, too strong.

Dallas to Houston and back.

You could not pay me to move to another country. I would stay and defend this one.

Can't think of anything.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 12,209,277 times
Good morning to all!

Today’s Questions:
Lawn tractor parts

I get about 6K steps in each morning before I shower.

Nope

In one trip? About 800+ miles (VA to Disney World)

Canada. They are the most like the US and I enjoy vacationing there already.

RETIRE! And I still can't yet... Several years to go.

Hope everyone has a terrific day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics